Closed Thread

Old 08-16-20, 11:58 AM   #10141
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipertheSniper View Post
For the example I brought up it didn't really matter and I worry about it because he's the eff'in President.

How respectful of the system are active efforts of voter suppression by the way? I'd really like to know.
That'll get countered with how respectful are efforts toward voter fraud. I do think vote by mail is possible if the effort is made to adopt it and ensure it's not taken advantage of. The GOP don't want to go there and are afraid of it.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Old 08-16-20, 12:05 PM   #10142
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
That'll get countered with how respectful are efforts toward voter fraud. I do think vote by mail is possible if the effort is made to adopt it and ensure it's not taken advantage of. The GOP don't want to go there and are afraid of it.
Most efforts that are framed to eliminate almost non existent voter fraud are efforts to suppress the vote, so I'm not only talking about the USPS story here, where I'm really not sure what to believe.
Old 08-16-20, 12:11 PM   #10143
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
The system is set up for in person voting, which is what I and my wife will be doing on election day and Viper might call it fraud but we will still produce a picture ID when we do. The proposed vote by mail scheme is only supported by the Democrats because they figure it will give them an advantage. If the situation were reversed they would be far more vocal than Trump is now in taking the same position.

You have only to look at their refusal to accept the 2016 election to see that. They claimed that Trump would contest the election if he lost and that's exactly what they did when he won.

I see the same thing happening in November. A Trump win will not be accepted by Democrats like they still don't accept the result of the last one. To hell with all of them I say.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
Old 08-16-20, 12:39 PM   #10144
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
The system is set up for in person voting, which is what I and my wife will be doing on election day and Viper might call it fraud but we will still produce a picture ID when we do. The proposed vote by mail scheme is only supported by the Democrats because they figure it will give them an advantage. If the situation were reversed they would be far more vocal than Trump is now in taking the same position.

You have only to look at their refusal to accept the 2016 election to see that. They claimed that Trump would contest the election if he lost and that's exactly what they did when he won.

I see the same thing happening in November. A Trump win will not be accepted by Democrats like they still don't accept the result of the last one. To hell with all of them I say.
Why would I call that fraud exactly? If you can vote in person, fine. If you can produce the required ID, also fine.

What I have a problem with is creating so many hoops for voters to jump through so they get discouraged from voting in person, and those hoops are very much designed to discourage voters from minorities, who are predominantly voting Democrats (whether that is really in their best interest is debatable).
Old 08-16-20, 12:57 PM   #10145
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipertheSniper View Post
Why would I call that fraud exactly? If you can vote in person, fine. If you can produce the required ID, also fine.

What I have a problem with is creating so many hoops for voters to jump through so they get discouraged from voting in person, and those hoops are very much designed to discourage voters from minorities, who are predominantly voting Democrats (whether that is really in their best interest is debatable).

Right, like producing a photo id to vote is something that minorities are just incapable of doing, although they don't seem to have that problem when asked to produce one for any other of the myriad instances that such id is required.

Poor, poor people of color. What would they do without the Democrat party to treat them like special needs children?

Old 08-16-20, 01:09 PM   #10146
Buddahaid

You must be talking about me. I'm a white minority in California.

David Bowie
Old 08-16-20, 01:09 PM   #10147
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Hands off yankee! Those people of color "belong" to the democrat party, Lincoln's emancipation proclamation be damned.
Old 08-16-20, 01:19 PM   #10148
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
You must be talking about me. I'm a white minority in California.

Well it's only a problem for you if you can't produce a photo id because as we are constantly Demsplained that is a problem only for non white Americans.

Old 08-16-20, 03:37 PM   #10149
August
Wayfaring Stranger

I like this guy:

Quote:
Let me make this simple: The idea that Trump is using the USPS to steal the election is a baseless conspiracy theory. There is no evidence to support it.

Let's go through the actual topics, all of which are being confused to create a state of misinformation and fear.

1) Dems are pushing for universal mail-in election. Republicans oppose this and say it creates a possibility for fraud. There is a reasonable compromise, such as what is planned in KY, that would allow absentee ballots for all who want one, early voting, & election day voting.

2) The USPS has been in terrible financial shape for years. It is consistently losing money. Dems want to bail it out. Republicans want it reformed. There is not an immediate fiscal danger as current funding is sufficient through 2021.

2A) The treasury has offered the USPS an additional 10 Billion loan as of the end of July if needed. That loan does come with some strings for reforms, but it does not look like it is needed for immediate operation until late in 2021.

3) Trump did go on tv and say he opposes the bailout of uSPS, and specifically cited his opposition to universal mail voting (which he says helps Dems) as the reason. As pointed out in 2, This has been used to suggest he is using USPS to undermine the election.

3A) However, as pointed out in 2, there is no immediate funding issue that would hinder the USPS from supporting the election. Funding is not the problem with a massive wave of mail-based voting, deadlines and timing are.

4) The USPS has done a bunch of regular actions that are now being cited as irregular by people who don't know better. One example is the removal and moving of pick-up mailboxes from low-traffic areas. USPS has agreed to pause it anyways to avoid the controversy now.

5) As the USPS is an organization with serious fiscal issues and due to COVID-19 impact, they are undergoing delays in shipping and structural changes/cuts in response. The union/activists oppose these and thus are trying to tie them to the election.

5A) Many of these actions have occurred before (replacing/eliminating sorting machines outside hubs). Every agency/group is taking cuts and reduced hours right now. There is no evidence those changes have anything to do with or would affect the election.

6) The real problem with the election is the regular deadlines are impossible to ensure with USPS shipping times. Some states allow ballot requests 4 days before the election! That's why USPS sent out letters to states warning them of need for changes in timing to protect votes.

In conclusion, this is going to be one of the most logistically difficult elections in history. Mail-in voting creates real problems and concerns. There are solutions that require compromise.

None of that supports the partisan conspiracy mentioned at the beginning.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...786387974.html

Old 08-16-20, 03:47 PM   #10150
Buddahaid

Nothing wrong with that save the extra money to ensure the collection times getting squashed is glossed over.

David Bowie
Old 08-16-20, 04:06 PM   #10151
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

A little wonder.

If Trump loose the election

Will CNN then cut down on the hours they send the news ?
Will they go from 24/7 to 1-2 hours per day instead ?

Markus
Old 08-16-20, 04:18 PM   #10152
VipertheSniper
Ace of the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
A little wonder.

Markus
From what I hear you can only be mistaken, 1-2 hours of news would be an increase in news reporting
Old 08-16-20, 06:59 PM   #10153
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Quote:
A little wonder.

Markus
CNN won't get it's bonus check from Sorus
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Old 08-16-20, 07:03 PM   #10154
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
A little wonder.

Markus

They've only hated Trump for four years Markus. Before him it was anyone who opposed the Democrats and after Trump it will just transfer to the next opponent, if the new regime allows such things of course.

Old 08-17-20, 07:23 AM   #10155
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
The proposed vote by mail scheme is only supported by the Democrats because they figure it will give them an advantage. If the situation were reversed they would be far more vocal than Trump is now in taking the same position.
You know that most other western countries have mail voting systems, right? I’m actually bewildered by the fact that this is a controversial thing in the US. Especially in the middle of a pandemic that is out of control in the USA, when minimal physical contact is more important than ever.

Quote:
What would they do without the Democrat party to treat them like special needs children?
What’s wrong with “special needs” people? My autism hasn’t stopped me from being a firefighter and has helped me get my dream job, so I don’t get your point.

Some left-wing Americans are certainly patronising and “nannying” towards minorities, if that’s what you’re saying.

Last edited by Cybermat47; 08-17-20 at 07:36 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter