SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-28-19, 01:31 PM   #7891
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wood View Post
If by Michael Ward, you mean Michael Wood...
Whoops! That's what I get for trying to use this fone to post with...

Quote:
... encountered the Aux Cruiser Toro at 20:00 hours on Dec 18,1941, about 43 miles east of Cam Ranh Bay, near center of CamranBay01 patrol area...
Thanks

Quote:
... Oh, yes, lot's of sampans, junks, fishing boats and a crab boat near Cam Ranh Bay...
Thanks

Quote:
... December 8th, in port orders were to patrol CamranBay01. Once in boat, opened orders and it also showed a secondary assignment to patrol CamranBoay01, which was completed when first ship sunk. A second primary assignment was also to goto Convoy college and await orders. Received this second primary assignment while still at dock. But, I always send a message when I first enter boat, so I will know when I run out of food (instead of making physical note on departure date), so, "Did you get it and the Convoy College after radioing in a Status Report?" Yes...
Eh, still off a bit... I'll have to re-work (and re-word) that one.

Quote:
... Change in wording to patrol in area assigned would be more immersive, even if one can disobey orders and go to Hiroshima to sink battleship and carrier and get medal...

Quote:
... Question... I sometimes get orders to go to port and take pictures. When I radio in to say I gave completed the mission, I am sent on other missions. Odd, that headquarters doesn't seem in any hurry to get those pictures, which I turn in a month or two later. Is there anything you can do with this or was this typical behavior in the war?...
That was one of several reasons for disabling the PhotoOps previously. Those were "hot" missions when given. They had roughly a week to get there, a week to do the job, panorama photos of the beaches, and a week to get back - tops. Hot stuff. Were you assigned one in v0.81? Where did they send you? Did you get the assignment from calling in a Status Report? Thanks - I did just get an idea (scary thought) for these missions though...

Quote:
... Since I got you, a couple observations. Wake island had 236 Marines and 60 civilians not 4,000 troops. The Wake relief convoy was led by Vice Admiral Pye, not Rear Admiral Fletcher. News flashes in error.
Thanks. As you can tell, the hired help is cheap (and lazy)... I'll add that to the list. Wasn't Fletcher sent after-the-fact, like a late call from the Marshall's area? Like maybe they were throwing stuff against the wall to see what would stick?...

Please forgive me, but I can't see this whole post in my fone's winnder...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 02:13 PM   #7892
Michael Wood
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 314
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
That was one of several reasons for disabling the PhotoOps previously. Those were "hot" missions when given. They had roughly a week to get there, a week to do the job, panorama photos of the beaches, and a week to get back - tops. Hot stuff. Were you assigned one in v0.81? Where did they send you? Did you get the assignment from calling in a Status Report? Thanks - I did just get an idea (scary thought) for these missions though...

Thanks. As you can tell, the hired help is cheap (and lazy)... I'll add that to the list. Wasn't Fletcher sent after-the-fact, like a late call from the Marshall's area? Like maybe they were throwing stuff against the wall to see what would stick?...
Have not been sent on photo mission in v0.81. Complaint is from SH4 in general.

On the Fletcher issue, just Googled Wake Island, which says it was Fletcher. It said Pye was in charge and told Fletcher to abort mission, from Pearl. I could be wrong.

Last edited by Michael Wood; 03-28-19 at 10:14 PM.
Michael Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 06:28 PM   #7893
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Have not been sent on photo mission in v0.81. Complaints is from SH4 in general.

On the Fletcher issue, just Googled Wake Island, which says it was Fletcher. It said Pye was in charge and told Fletcher to abort mission, from Pearl. I could be wrong.
i figured one of you would get there in the end.

frank-jack commanded the carrier task group sent to help the Marines and then halfway there Pacific Command (pye, still) decided to re-purpose those relief resources...effectively ending the Marines chance to defend Wake Island a bit longer.

Chet Nimitz (a sub driver) took command of the Pacific Fleet on New Years Eve.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 06:30 PM   #7894
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
If by Michael Ward, you mean Michael Wood, encountered the Aux Cruiser Toro at 20:00 hours on Dec 18,1941, about 43 miles east of Cam Ranh Bay, near center of CamranBay01 patrol area. Sailing alone and zig-zagging every 3 to 5 minutes. Mild seas (zero mps). Target spotted torpedoes and tried to avoid. Three of the four hit and ship sank quickly. Fired four, because I had not seen the message to conserve torpedoes, yet.

Oh, yes, lot's of sampans, junks, fishing boats and a crab boat near Cam Ranh Bay.

December 8th, in port orders were to patrol CamranBay01. Once in boat, opened orders and it also showed a secondary assignment to patrol CamranBoay01, which was completed when first ship sunk. A second primary assignment was also to goto Convoy college and await orders. Received this second primary assignment while still at dock. But, I always send a message when I first enter boat, so I will know when I run out of food (instead of making physical note on departure date), so, "Did you get it and the Convoy College after radioing in a Status Report?" Yes.

"...though in reality, the mission would still be open-ended..."

Well, I always stay in area I was sent to. Change in wording to patrol in area assigned would be more immersive, even if one can disobey orders and go to Hiroshima to sink battleship and carrier and get medal.

Question... I sometimes get orders to go to port and take pictures. When I radio in to say I gave completed the mission, I am sent on other missions. Odd, that headquarters doesn't seem in any hurry to get those pictures, which I turn in a month or two later. Is there anything you can do with this or was this typical behavior in the war?

Since I got you, a couple observations. Wake island had 236 Marines and 60 civilians not 4,000 troops. The Wake relief convoy was led by Vice Admiral Pye, not Rear Admiral Fletcher. News flashes in error.

"...I'll foist them upon the unsuspecting public..."

Snicker, snicker.
I saw one of those Toro north of Wake island all by it lonesome but I was returning home and had no fish.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 06:32 PM   #7895
merc4ulfate
DILLIGAF

Downloads: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucktown View Post
Where can I find what the crush depths are for the submarines? Shouldn't there be something that at least provides safe dive depths?
I dive till they implode. That gives me the data I need. I once got the Tambor to 700 and survived with about 80% damage I think.

Mercfulfate
将補
日本帝國海軍

merc4ulfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 08:35 PM   #7896
Lato79
Watch

Downloads: 88
Default New to FOTRS

So I've just downloaded and started playing FOTRS after mostly playing TMO. I'm just wondering do you no longer hear Destroyers pinging you when they are actively searching for you? Because I was being hunted and then depth charged by 3 Destroyers and I was getting zero audible pings but even when dived to 300ft, zig zagging and running silent at 2 knots they were still aware of my position, but I couldn't hear them pinging?
TMO Plot
Bigger Better Protractors.
Lato79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-19, 11:17 PM   #7897
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc4ulfate View Post
I dive till they implode. That gives me the data I need. I once got the Tambor to 700 and survived with about 80% damage I think.
how do you do that? the gauge ends at 450. do you press the "d" key and then press "a" when you are as deep as you want to be?

LAA enabled
Old 03-29-19, 06:18 AM   #7898
Fifi
Navy Seal

Downloads: 456

Is the red square on hull normal?
got few DDs like that, and others with N°20 number...

So met a task force South of Makassar straight, and decided to attack despite the calm sea...
Decided a new way to stand ahead the task force too, to reduce detecting.
I standed periscope depth, 1000m aside the main ships path, but heading same direction (not at 90° angle)
It turned out very well, fired my 2 stern fishes when Takao was almost on my side, and escaped diving deep straight ahead.
i thought 2 torp would not sink the Takao, but fortunately one was critical hit.
20mn later he was down the sea...after few nice explosions.

Had real hard time to escape the 6 DDs with flat sea...and they chased me for almost 10km but as i headed for opposite task force path, they finally gave up to join the others...
I love the way DDs behaves. Circling around me, dropping one after each other, stopping, listening ect. And sometimes dropping beside my way, not always right on top of me. They are perfect
(but still no ping to hear - is it cause it's begining 42?)

Fifi is online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 07:20 AM   #7899
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
how do you do that? the gauge ends at 450. do you press the "d" key and then press "a" when you are as deep as you want to be?
Under the depth gauge you get a digital readout of your depth. The subs dials may "peg" at the authentic maximum depth they were made for, but the digital readout gives you the actual depth the sub is positioned.

As I've said before, be careful diving deep. The games mechanics represent the extra sea pressure very well the deeper you dive. You'll notice your sub will become sluggish at deeper depths.....turns are slower, depth changes become slower. To the point where even an emergency surface won't bring you back up......you know then your fate is sealed and the digital depth reading keeps rising!

For the most part, you'll be surprised how deep the subs can go. Just know there's a point of no return.

I've never posted the "crush depths" because that's just one thing that no sub Captain really knew, but he knew it was always lurking below him.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 07:35 AM   #7900
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lato79 View Post
So I've just downloaded and started playing FOTRS after mostly playing TMO. I'm just wondering do you no longer hear Destroyers pinging you when they are actively searching for you? Because I was being hunted and then depth charged by 3 Destroyers and I was getting zero audible pings but even when dived to 300ft, zig zagging and running silent at 2 knots they were still aware of my position, but I couldn't hear them pinging?
Players shouldn't expect Ultimate will react like the other mods, or the Stock game. Unlike the Germans, the Japanese did not have the technology as their counterpart, or especially their enemies! Radar was not used on all ships, even late in the war; Active Sonar wasn't on all warships, especially the smaller ones, They did have Passive Sonar (Hydrophone) capabilities but it wasn't very good. As a matter of fact, all of their technology was inferior to the Germans, and especially to the Allies.

You guys have gotten used to the game play of SHIII (which SH4 is a cloned sibling), or other mods that just didn't try to create the actual capabilities of the enemy. Ultimate tries to do that.

Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
Old 03-29-19, 07:45 AM   #7901
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Have not been sent on photo mission in v0.81. Complaint is from SH4 in general.

Sometimes I can't believe you guys!?!

You're on THIS thread complaining about a Stock game issue??? Send a letter to Ubisoft!!

Just because we're online answering questions for you (go ask questions of TMO or RFB and see if the modders will answer?) but, some of the stuff you guys bring up is out of our control and just plain nuts!

Quote:
Old 03-29-19, 08:56 AM   #7902
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

You're on THIS thread complaining about a Stock game issue??? Send a letter to Ubisoft!!

Just because we're online answering questions for you (go ask questions of TMO or RFB and see if the modders will answer?) but, some of the stuff you guys bring up is out of our control and just plain nuts!
Even Popeye had to say "That's all I can stands,... and I can't stands no more"
Old 03-29-19, 09:18 AM   #7903
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
When you removed the v0.80, did you by chance run the JSGME "Tasks - Compare game files to snapshot"? One of the strangest things with this game is what does, and what does NOT get overwritten. If the old mod is not removed completely, and all traces removed in the Save folder, then you might end up with cross-contamination.
Props, I did not do the compare - in my eagerness to try the last release I overlooked doing that. However, I don't see how I could get cross-contamination because I deleted the SH4 folder entirely from my Documents folders. The only SH4 folder there now is from the one SH4 created the first time I ran it with v0.81 implemented.

As for the S Boat bow gun, all positions for the deck gun disappeared BEFORE I tried to upgrade to the 4.5" Stern mount (the only option offered besides the 20mm AA gun. I suspect they were messed up when it gave me the Conning Tower upgrade - It must have thought I was already in a new boat, because I've seen that kind of upgrade before. The Conning Tower upgrade is not appropriate for an S Class boat (IMHO).

I hope this helps. If I don't get an offer for a new boat after this next patrol I'm going to scrap the whole thing, do an install of my Pristine v1.5 and start all over. I'll take a snapshot via JSGME of all files after loading FOTRSU v.81, run a few patrols, and report back. Thanks for the feedback.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-19, 09:33 AM   #7904
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post

calm down, buddy.
time for a "calming draught".
we'll leave the choice of draughts to your discretion.

LAA enabled
Old 03-29-19, 10:09 AM   #7905
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
Props, I did not do the compare - in my eagerness to try the last release I overlooked doing that. However, I don't see how I could get cross-contamination because I deleted the SH4 folder entirely from my Documents folders. The only SH4 folder there now is from the one SH4 created the first time I ran it with v0.81 implemented.

As for the S Boat bow gun, all positions for the deck gun disappeared BEFORE I tried to upgrade to the 4.5" Stern mount (the only option offered besides the 20mm AA gun. I suspect they were messed up when it gave me the Conning Tower upgrade - It must have thought I was already in a new boat, because I've seen that kind of upgrade before. The Conning Tower upgrade is not appropriate for an S Class boat (IMHO).

I hope this helps. If I don't get an offer for a new boat after this next patrol I'm going to scrap the whole thing, do an install of my Pristine v1.5 and start all over. I'll take a snapshot via JSGME of all files after loading FOTRSU v.81, run a few patrols, and report back. Thanks for the feedback.
I'm running the S-Class and mentioned the other day the long battery recharge rates (looking into it). I'll be looking at the possibility of issues when getting back to port after several missions (as anyone knows, this takes time to do.....letting the game actually play normally and continuing a progression of a career).

BUT, what you should do ANYTIME you run into strange behavior, is to pull out the mod (deactivate it in JSGME; close out of JSGME; then reopen it and run the "Compare game files to snapshot" feature.

Just the other day I found an extra .dds image file that was left over in the "Land" folder under the "Small_Bunker" folder. Why or how.....who knows? It was the only file that was listed as "NEW" after the "Compare Snapshot" was run. All others were listed as "SAME". But here's the point...….unless you have a "Base" of Stock game files to go by, you'll never know if the issue you encounter is due to the mod you're using, or some leftover file that shouldn't be in the Stock game.

Not that I know for sure, but sometimes files are left behind for nothing more than not letting the game fully keep track of itself when you close the game. Closing the game, then shutting down the computer too quickly, MAY cut down the complete "saving" of all files when you stop play.

I'm absolutely sure if you start a JSGME "activation" of a mod, then stop the "activation" in mid stream....you'll get left over files in the Stock game, which are only discovered by a "Compare Snapshot" run. The only correction is to reinstall the Stock game.

I also know if you run TMO, you'll get two Stock game image files that are listed as "REMOVED" by the "Compare Snapshot" run....AND YES, the mod does remove them from the Stock game after TMO is "deactivated"!

I suggest whenever an issue arises, a player should check his Stock game files first before thinking the mod has an issue. It may, but the Stock game files need to be checked before pointing a finger in the wrong direction.

Quote: