SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-13-17, 05:10 AM   #1
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0
Default Possible (new) weather fix discovery

(Disclaimer: the following would have to be reviewed by some of the old hands on this forum to confirm the process. So, please, don't go out and make a change to your system unless you are confident of what you are doing).

Situation: We all know that adverse weather/storms can hang for a very long time.

State of play: You can put certain add-ons to Silent Hunter III to break the weather cycle somewhat. Also, super-mods like GWX3 address this somewhat.

Situation: it is possible I have found a new wrinkle to this issue. It was by accident.

My game setup. I use Win10 on a 5 year old i5 with 4Gb of RAM. Silent Hunter III via Steam. GWX3, SH3 Commander, Hitman optics. 4GB RAM patch.

While finishing some careers up, I had changed some of the settings of SH3 Commander to have a faster time speed up beyond the stock SHIII 1024 time. This is one of the things SH3 Commander offers. I set my game for the top setting being 4096 which also gives you 2048. I have found the 8xxx setting too much for my processor.

4096 and 2048 are great for long transits. Example if you are running a long mission with a type IX boat. Note that one can get into trouble running these higher non-stock settings by ending up in the lap of a destroyer. So, always use with care.

Getting to the real point: weather. It is my observation that when you run into a long period of rain that you can then run the speed up to 2048, 4096 for 6-8-12-or 24 hours of game time and it will BREAK the storm and/or run it through the different phases of weather faster. No more week or several weeks of storm.

Then once I break the storm I get back down to 1024 if I need to do some fast time.

Argument. I don't have the software, CPU, operating system facts on why this is. It could be something how the CPU calculates with the software routine.

For me, this method is fairly consistent at breaking a storm.

Extensive testing by others may discover the reasons for this and/or how practical it is.

For me, for my setup, it appears to be useful.

It is also possible that this, in no way, is an original "discovery".

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 05:16 AM   #2
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

You just have to make statistics to confirm/infirm ...
Old 03-13-17, 01:23 PM   #3
bstanko6
Admiral

Downloads: 390
Uploads: 13

There is a risk of running into task forces. Be careful!

DISCORD
https://discord.gg/6tFeTSUmVc
bstanko6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 04:28 PM   #4
GT182
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 658

Sorry but no, it's not an original discovery. It's been ongoing since SH3 came out and ran on XP. I don't think TC had anything to do with it or would fix it. Remember, SH3 was meant to run on a 32 bit OS, and most are running 64 bit Operating Systems today. There were times I didn't use TC because I'd be getting ready to mix it up with a convoy, and the weather would be beautiful. I'd save my progress and when I'd restart to continue it would be horrible.... rain, fog, and wind like you wouldn't believe. The next save after my mixing it up with the convoy and leaving the area could be back to good weather or continue with the bad. It was a crap shoot as to what kind of weather you'd end up with.

Some have had success making it better but there's been no definite fix that I know of. The same happens in SH4 and SH5 at times.

No Borders, No Language, No Culture =s No Country

I'm a Deplorable, and proud of it.
GT182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 04:47 PM   #5
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

As if the weather was not important in attacking the ennemy !

Ubisoft !

Old 03-13-17, 06:19 PM   #6
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253

Thanks GT182.

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-17, 05:44 PM   #7
Dave Kay
Gunner

Downloads: 25

For me, the games' prolonged bad weather problems relate to crash issues on my PC.

From observations, what I believe is happening is for example, chasing a convoy in horrendous waves and rain causes small ships of the convoy to sink or start sinking, and/or they all just start making zig-zag patterns like a convoy is under attack, but they still keep their same heading for tens of kilometers before eventually straightening formation.

It is nearly is impossible to attack in this scenario and going to periscope depth has caused my game to -crash, more than a few times.

Also, as I've happened upon lone mercs in high seas/waves/rain, down by the bows like it's sinking, but still making progress, as our boat plows into big waves burrowing under 10 meters depth, I get another game crash.

In another thread, (can't remember where) fellows talk of the game save issue of never saving while at periscope depth when a ship nearby is, or may be, sinking. Seems these two problems are related, in my estimate.

Prolonged bad game-weather makes me head south toward the Equator and forget attacking anything in those big squalls.
Dave Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 05:41 AM   #8
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Default Weather fix

Constant stormy weather is an old problem that was fixed definitively long ago.

Briefly:
1. The devs admitted, long ago, that they made an error in the weather code (fixed in SH4).
2. Various changes to moddable files were made in the past, with only limited success.
3. I created a code fix for envsim.act at least six years ago, repairing the devs' error (the winds do not die down in a timely manner). H.sie created a different code fix, which stopped all storms completely after random periods of time.
4. The most comprehensive and most recent (2016) code fix, also by me, can be seen here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...27&postcount=1

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 09:14 AM   #9
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81

I've had weather so bad that trying to get back into the home ports of Norway, the fjords would dry up and bounce the boat off the bottom. Didn't know you could have 20m seas in 10m of water.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-17, 10:27 AM   #10
Kendras
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargamel View Post
Didn't know you could have 20m seas in 10m of water.
Hahaha !