SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-07-20, 03:41 PM   #1756
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 0

No, Mr beanie will either wait until the next update is released or he'll give it a few weeks and wait for any further bugs to make themselves known, he might then release a small patch like he did with the MK10 torpedo loading problem we recently had.
Old 09-07-20, 06:30 PM   #1757
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

What is the maximum TC value in 1.2?

If it is 4096 or lower, please see this thread https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=246621. Since then I have completely uninstalled Steam and SH4 (including the folder in Documents), run Your Installer and CCleaner, then downloaded new copies of those apps and the latest FotRSU release. Yet I see TC values equivalent to Stock.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 08:36 PM   #1758
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
What date did you sail from Pearl? That is the one set of missions that are not assigned until the submarine is active on January 1st, 1945, so that is a double-whammy if you sailed before that. What I don't understand is, there are quite a few missions available prior to the date of January 1, 1945 that the game could have chosen, and you would not have had a problem. Another point to make is that there is no "Star" on your orders map image there, designating where the mission assigned is, as most mission orders do. Here are all four of that set of assignments overlaid, and yours should have been #3:

There should have been that "star" somewhere in there...

Do you have a December 5 date coming in to port, or is that the sailing date - if you came in on the 5th, you were probably sailing on the 26th or so (??), and those are probably what did it in... but why the game once again ran over not one but 2 date restrictions (sub active & mission assignment) is beyond me... Of note however, is the fact that the game has those particular missions available from 19441101 in the PatrolObjectives file, and they are "open" in the actual mis files from 19400101, which is different from the PatrolObjectives dates, which is just the assignment dates for the Tench.

Another item of note is the upc file info in your Save folder. The submarine shows to have a maximum of 10 officers, yet in FotRSU, that is set to 20 for the Tench. So I don't know if in your files it signifies that you currently have 10?... ?? Also, the Save shows you were assigned SOJ 03, going by the ID=ID85. Last, but certainly not least, for your medals, it does not look like you have FotRSU codes in your Save folder. The CMOH in FotRSU will get you a Navy Cross. The NavyCross code gets you a Bronze Star, etc., for all of the medals being downgraded one step, with the CMOH dropped. But I cannot say for certain whether the Save info is the code, or the actual medal name, but either way, it does not look correct. Had you cleared the Save folder when you originally activated FotRSU v1.1?
Yes I had cleared my save folder.
I will show you my medals and my crew managements, and the date I docked at base in a minute or two.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 08:43 PM   #1759
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

... and the date you sailed - just to be sure - December 5, 1944?? Also, was there a "Star" showing on that orders map before you went to get onto the boat with the "Next" button, and then crashed?... Thanks!

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-07-20 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Whoops... what's a word or two mean to a sentence?
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 09:01 PM   #1760
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:
... and the date you sailed - just to be sure - December 5, 1944?? Also, was there a "Star" showing on that orders map before you went to get onto the boat with the "Next" button, and then crashed?... Thanks!
I docked and ended my last patrol on October 29, 1944. I recieved and accepted the new command. I then clicked the map to recieve my orders, which, told me my departure date was Dec. 5, 1944. I decided to start the patrol outside of the harbor. There was no star on the orders either. It loaded to maybe 25-35% before it crashed.

I could not fit all of my medals in one screenshot, so I wrote them down.
I have 9 Navy Crosses, 4 Navy Commendation medals, and 1 Purple Heart.

Here is my crew management page:

TIA

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Old 09-07-20, 09:25 PM   #1761
propbeanie

It's gotta be that early award date of the Tench, in spite of it having missions. I'll double-check the onboard equipment, but from what I remember, it is all active prior to the Tench going active... I especially do not like it choosing a mission that is not assigned until after January 1st, 1945, although the mission files themselves are dated earlier. Why bother with dates if the game is going to ignore them?... Ahh well. We'll change a few things and see how it does after.

Let me search some more through your Save files the beast, and see if there's a way to change a couple of things... be back in a bit.

Old 09-07-20, 09:26 PM   #1762
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieldk View Post
So if i download the Mod again ,
the flags will be gone?
The flags shall NEVER be gone! They shall always fly high, and with pride!!! Oh, wait, you mean from submarines underwater... eventually they will. For right now:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
No, Mr beanie will either wait until the next update is released or he'll give it a few weeks and wait for any further bugs to make themselves known, he might then release a small patch like he did with the MK10 torpedo loading problem we recently had.
I have received the "fix" from s7rikeback. We were awaiting a reply from the beast to make certain of what I suspect, and I'll change a couple of other settings, along with the flag thingie s7rikeback sent. You really shouldn't be watching the outside of your boat though. You see too many of our mistakes when you do that... - but we will do a little patch in a couple-three days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
What is the maximum TC value in 1.2?

If it is 4096 or lower, please see this thread https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=246621. Since then I have completely uninstalled Steam and SH4 (including the folder in Documents), run Your Installer and CCleaner, then downloaded new copies of those apps and the latest FotRSU release. Yet I see TC values equivalent to Stock.
Max TC is 4096x... we have been considering dropping it back to 2048x, since a LOT of the visual and audio anomalies only show-up after the use of higher than 2048, which is when the "stop watch" shows up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
I had a FotRSU career become corrupted, leading me to delete the game, save files, mod, and Steam. I restarted the system and reinstalled each from scratch, yet when I began a new career (Tautog to Sagami Wan from Midway, 12/9/41), the previous TC limit of 4096 no longer applied. The game is not stock, however, as I encountered several ships unique to FotRSU. I continued the patrol and saved using the standard hygiene. Yet tonight the file refuses to load, getting stuck on the black screen repeatedly. It's the only patrol file, other than the ones for leaving port. I created a new career and patrol in hopes of a "hot start" to open the original patrol, but no luck.

Could someone walk me through how to remove every SH4-related file?
For your situation Mios 4Me, what I have done with my Steam version of the game is removed all mods, run the Steam "verify game files" to get a "fresh" stock install. This is when using the Uboat Missions Add-On for the v1.5 Steam version of the game... Navigate into that version of the Steam game's main folder, use <Ctrl><A> to Select All. Right-click in that window such that you get a context menu, and select "Properties" from that. In that little pop-up window, at the bottom of the "General" tab is the "Attributes" section. Notice the "Read-only" box has a grey check mark in it. Click on that so that it "clears" it. Click on "OK", and you will then be prompted as to whether you want to apply it to all files in all sub-folders. Tell it yes, you do. It will take a few minutes to run. If you have 7zip installed with context for Windows Explorer, you can then do that <Ctrl><A> trick again, and this time, right-click and choose "7zip -->" and "Add to archive". Name it what you will remember it, such as "StockSteamSH4v15" or whatever. If you don't have 7zip (you really should), then use the "Send To" context menu choice instead, and use the "compressed (zipped) folder", and again, name it something you'll remember. Make yourself a New Folder in your Steam / SteamApps / Common folder (or where ever your Library folder is). Name it something memorable, such as FotRSU121, and then copy that zipped file you just made into the New Folder. Now extract that, and it will be your FotRSU game folder.

Make yourself a MODS folder inside that New FotRSU game folder, and put the FotRSU v1.21 mod into it. Extract that with 7zip (or the Windows utility). Just be careful of the folder structure. Grab the JSGME.zip file from the Extras folder of the mod after the extraction, and drag it to the "root" game folder and extract. Run JSGME.exe and use the MODS folder you already made and then activate FotRSU. It will take several minutes. Now open the MultiSH4.exe file, and type in 3 letters for your Save folder, such as "FRS" or whatever. It should "take" fine. If it does happen to error, select the "FileManager.dll" file in that root game folder, right-click it and choose "Properties". Then clear the tick mark from the "Read-only" box and "OK" that... now try MultiSH4.exe again and set that new Save folder. Once you have that, run LAA and add SH3.exe to it for a "True" setting, or use the 4gig Patch file, or the NTcore utility - pick your poison. The other two are not included with the mod though. You are now set to play "plain" FotRSU. You can grab and combination of the AddInModPak mods, being careful of the numbering scheme.

If you already had used MultiSH4 and have a folder named "FRS", as in my example above, then open that FRS folder in your Documents folder, and delete its contents prior to playing FotRSU v1.21. After that, on most systems, you can double-click on the SH4.exe file, and it will automatically link with Steam and run the licensing checks and start the game. If not, then you'll probably have to use the Steam app on your computer, log-in, and "Add a non-Steam game" to the Steam Start Menu, and it should run it fine through that. I have to do that with my SH3 Steam copy on this Win7 desktop.

Doing the above, you can keep your original Steam install as "Stock", and mod copies of the install as you see fit, and each of those copies have their own Save folder, greatly reducing the possibility of cross-contamination...

Old 09-07-20, 10:35 PM   #1763
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
I docked and ended my last patrol on October 29, 1944. I recieved and accepted the new command. I then clicked the map to recieve my orders, which, told me my departure date was Dec. 5, 1944. I decided to start the patrol outside of the harbor. There was no star on the orders either. It loaded to maybe 25-35% before it crashed.

I could not fit all of my medals in one screenshot, so I wrote them down.
I have 9 Navy Crosses, 4 Navy Commendation medals, and 1 Purple Heart...
Quote:
It's gotta be that early award date of the Tench, in spite of it having missions. I'll double-check the onboard equipment, but from what I remember, it is all active prior to the Tench going active... I especially do not like it choosing a mission that is not assigned until after January 1st, 1945, although the mission files themselves are dated earlier. Why bother with dates if the game is going to ignore them?... Ahh well. We'll change a few things and see how it does after.

Let me search some more through your Save files the beast, and see if there's a way to change a couple of things... be back in a bit.
Well, as usually happens whenever I try to edit files in the Save folder, I end up with a mess... the game still attempts to load, but I botched it up... sheesh. Maybe KaleunMarco or someone reasonably well-versed in altering the assignment ID can help... I tried editing them one at a time in each of the CareerTrack.upc files, and never found the correct combination... The line "PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID85" is for the SOJ #3 file, and you would change that in the newest numbered folders in the Save / data / cfg / xxxxxxxx folders to ID54 through ID61 inclusive for Empire Waters "Honshu" missions. In my case, it's 00000000, 00000001 & 00000009 folders. Yours may be different. But it is in there somewhere else in my Save structure, and I can't get it to work. I do know that aanker used to be able to do it, and someone else, and I think KaleunMarco has managed to do it, but I sure can't...

My guess though is that it still would would not work to get you a new assignment, since I think it's the boat that's the problem. If you have a Save from before you docked and were "awarded" the Tench, use that and then refuse the new boat when you come back in, until after this patrol. Go back out in a Balao for December 1944, and come back in after January 10, 1945, then you can take the Tench boat... maybe...

Old 09-07-20, 11:01 PM   #1764
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Well, as usually happens whenever I try to edit files in the Save folder, I end up with a mess... the game still attempts to load, but I botched it up... sheesh. Maybe KaleunMarco or someone reasonably well-versed in altering the assignment ID can help... I tried editing them one at a time in each of the CareerTrack.upc files, and never found the correct combination... The line "PlayerCurrentObjectives=ID85" is for the SOJ #3 file, and you would change that in the newest numbered folders in the Save / data / cfg / xxxxxxxx folders to ID54 through ID61 inclusive for Empire Waters "Honshu" missions. In my case, it's 00000000, 00000001 & 00000009 folders. Yours may be different. But it is in there somewhere else in my Save structure, and I can't get it to work. I do know that aanker used to be able to do it, and someone else, and I think KaleunMarco has managed to do it, but I sure can't...

My guess though is that it still would would not work to get you a new assignment, since I think it's the boat that's the problem. If you have a Save from before you docked and were "awarded" the Tench, use that and then refuse the new boat when you come back in, until after this patrol. Go back out in a Balao for December 1944, and come back in after January 10, 1945, then you can take the Tench boat... maybe...
i tried to follow the string of posts to get to the root cause. allow me to recap:
  • the beast completed a mission on 10/19/44 and was upgraded to a Tench-class boat.
  • his next mission started on 12/5/44 but it crashed on load.
  • Tench-class boats are not available for assignment until 1/1/45, so if beast got one in October '44, that's a problem that we have seen before.
  • the missions profile of the Tench have nine different Objectives, all but two are available on 12/5/44. as it happens, the Sea of Japan missions are not available until 1/1/45, so if beast was assigned an SOJ mission, that is problem #2 that we have seen before.

the easiest solution to this problem is to restore to a point before mission-completion of the previous mission, complete the mission and then refuse the Tench upgrade. beast will probably be offered the Tench after three additional successful missions, sometime in April or possibly May.

if the beast is heart-set on a Tench upgrade at the earliest opportunity, then he should stay out on patrol until at least 1/1/45, breaking all records for single patrol duration. he will most likely be offered the Tench and it should occur without difficulty.

any other solution which keeps the early-release Tench involves checking all equipment availability dates, all weapons availability, upgrades availability, etc, etc, etc. i do not advise this option as i have attempted prior to this time and all i did was waste time. but, you may be more clever than i am and you may solve it.

if i may, i have been down this path enough times to recommend that you keep the Balao. i had nothing but problems with the Tench: CTD's. IMHO, it is not worth it. but it's your time, not mine.

good luck no matter which path you choose.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 11:06 PM   #1765
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
PB,

i was trying to follow your train of thought here....
are you suggesting that beast should change his first Tench mission to something other than what he was assigned with the thought that the out-of-date-range-mission was causing the CTD?

km

LAA enabled
Old 09-08-20, 07:43 AM   #1766
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
i tried to follow the string of posts to get to the root cause. allow me to recap:
  • the beast completed a mission on 10/19/44 and was upgraded to a Tench-class boat.
  • his next mission started on 12/5/44 but it crashed on load.
  • Tench-class boats are not available for assignment until 1/1/45, so if beast got one in October '44, that's a problem that we have seen before.
  • the missions profile of the Tench have nine different Objectives, all but two are available on 12/5/44. as it happens, the Sea of Japan missions are not available until 1/1/45, so if beast was assigned an SOJ mission, that is problem #2 that we have seen before.

the easiest solution to this problem is to restore to a point before mission-completion of the previous mission, complete the mission and then refuse the Tench upgrade. beast will probably be offered the Tench after three additional successful missions, sometime in April or possibly May.

if the beast is heart-set on a Tench upgrade at the earliest opportunity, then he should stay out on patrol until at least 1/1/45, breaking all records for single patrol duration. he will most likely be offered the Tench and it should occur without difficulty.

any other solution which keeps the early-release Tench involves checking all equipment availability dates, all weapons availability, upgrades availability, etc, etc, etc. i do not advise this option as i have attempted prior to this time and all i did was waste time. but, you may be more clever than i am and you may solve it.

if i may, i have been down this path enough times to recommend that you keep the Balao. i had nothing but problems with the Tench: CTD's. IMHO, it is not worth it. but it's your time, not mine.

good luck no matter which path you choose.
Quote:
PB,

are you suggesting that beast should change his first Tench mission to something other than what he was assigned with the thought that the out-of-date-range-mission was causing the CTD?

km

Yea, I think I will load my last patrol and decline the offer for a new sub.
Thank you all! I will report back with the results!

EDIT: Since Kieldk recommended that I updated to version 1.2.1, I cannot load my last save game before the end of the patrol because of that.
Would it be a possibilty to revert back to 1.1 and get it to work? Or will it work if I restart my last patrol before I was awarded the Tench class?

Last edited by Texas Red; 09-08-20 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-08-20, 09:26 AM   #1767
propbeanie

Quote:
PB,

Oh, that train derails all of the time... lol - I was thinking that maybe an experiment of changing the patrol assignment might work, but the mission that is pointed to is actually not a date restricted mission in its actual files, just in the assignment for a Tench Class boat, so I very much doubt it would work, and I do NOT recommend trying such. Part of the problem might also lie in the equipment the submarine uses, but I haven't traced through all of the links to see.

Quote:

EDIT: Since Kieldk recommended that I updated to version 1.2.1, I cannot load my last save game before the end of the patrol because of that.
Would it be a possibilty to revert back to 1.1 and get it to work? Or will it work if I restart my last patrol before I was awarded the Tench class?
If you didn't delete the Save folder going from v1.1 + patch to the v1.21, you most likely have a cross-contaminated Save folder. You could try to de-activate v1.21, and re-activate v1.1 + patch and see what happens. You would have to have the ~EXACT~ same mod load-out that you had previously, and it still most likely will not work. If you do not have success, and want to do the v1.21 version, be sure and empty your Save folder before you use v1.21. You could attempt to move the current Save folder elsewhere for further experiments later at getting it to re-load with another game copy and v1.1 + patch applied to that, pointing to your old Save folder with the use of MultiSH4, but v1.1 and v1.2 are not backwards compatible for the most part.

I am currently experimenting with the proposed changes, and will be attempting to re-load Saves with several submarine classes, to see if those changes can be done to "fix" the Tench. It most likely will have to wait the next full-release. We'll see.

Old 09-08-20, 11:34 AM   #1768
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:

if the save was from 1.1, then you have to retreat to 1.1 to reload that save. the re-applied 1.1 release with the other mods in your mod set has to be the same as when you encountered the issue otherwise the Balao-save will not reload. got it?

not sure who kieldk is and if he is part of the FOTRSU development team, but it is standard practice to never upgrade or change your main mod set in the middle of a career. also, never change your mod set when you are trying to fix a problem, as you are with this Tench thing. i am not scolding you...only sharing thoughts based on experience.
applying a new release is the same as changing mod sets in that you have to erase your Savegame folder and start fresh. in fact some kaleuns perform a fresh re-install when they "upgrade" to a newer release.

let us know how the reversion and reload goes.
good luck!

LAA enabled
Old 09-08-20, 11:41 AM   #1769
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco
PB,

Quote:
Oh, that train derails all of the time... lol - I was thinking that maybe an experiment of changing the patrol assignment might work, but the mission that is pointed to is actually not a date restricted mission in its actual files, just in the assignment for a Tench Class boat, so I very much doubt it would work, and I do NOT recommend trying such. Part of the problem might also lie in the equipment the submarine uses, but I haven't traced through all of the links to see.
PB,

i agree. changing the mission will not cure the problem as the problem is the Tench assignment three months early.

Aside: i thought that you had recommended (globally) that kaleuns should NOT accept Balao and Tench upgrades before their official availability date in order to avoid these CTD's. maybe it was only a post however, if you didn't make that recommendation, i suggest that you do that in the release notes in the hopes that someone will read them and not encounter this problem in the future.

km

LAA enabled
Old 09-08-20, 12:20 PM   #1770
Kieldk
Helmsman

Downloads: 505

Quote:

I’m so sorry you got your save game messed up

I was just saying there is a newer version than the one you used, And I meant that if you stick with that you would probably not have this bug in the future