SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics > PC Hardware/Software forum
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-09-16, 05:49 AM   #1
bertieck476
Chief

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Windows phone help

Hi folks, got a problem and its driving me mad. I broke my screen on my phone and it is totally unresponsive. I can connect it to my pc and retrieve photos etc but I cannot get my contacts. Apparently they are in the microsoft cloud and I have to log in to get them. I haven't ever used this service and cannot remember my details and when I try to reset my password to access it microsoft wont allow it because I cannot verify enough details, they ask questions about other microsoft accounts, I dont have any, they ask about purchases or other interaction with microsoft, I dont.
Everything is so hard, you cannot just ring someone its ridiculous, everything leads to online support and chat help thats unhelpful or offline.
Managed to speak to a guy from microsoft just now and he looked into my problem and because I have tried several times to get the correct log in details I now have to have a tech do it for me and its £90, to get my info.
I would reluctantly do this even though its a rip off but Im not convinced all my contacts are in the cloud because I dont know whether I have auto back up or not.
Some way of getting them out of my phone or transferred to another phone would be ideal.
Phone is nokia lumia 950
Cheers Bert.
bertieck476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 07:48 AM   #2
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Wow! Bert you've illustrated why Windows phone captured a whopping 3% of the market. It's going to be very difficult to find someone who knows anything about fixing your phone. I don't do ANYTHING Microsoft that I can avoid. But your contacts should be accessible through your computer and your Outlook online account. Your phone is not necessary to get to them.

There may or may not be a copy of them on the phone itself. Sounds like you have looked for them and they don't exist there.

Good luck! Buy a real cell phone next time.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 11:05 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

A ~LOT~ of the shtinking fones are like that... I just got a new what-I-thought-was-simple-fone phone... not. It's Android. I've got an Android tablet. It makes sense sometimes. This fone thing does not. My old fone is a 2g and the local carrier is discontinuing service for it, so I'm trying to get my contacts from it into the new fone. FAIL!!! The old fone is older than NCIS Gibb's first fone. It's a Motorola Razer v3c or whatever... I've got the old MotoFone Tools, so I can get my contacts onto the computer and into Outlook Express, which can export either CSV or WAB. I've done both. The new fone, can't connect via USB for anything other than mp3 files. Say whuh? Oh, if it had wifi, I could use that, but it doesn't. Bluetooth? HAH! both fones want to be "Boss", and the Motorola does not have an export for the Contacts, and the new POS doesn't have an import for Contacts... Wow! "Modern" technology... and here, I though ~I~ was confused...

I feel your pain, in other words, there bertieck476. Have you searched on the Nokia site for help? I don't know if I'd bother with a pdf "Owner's Manual". Those basically just run through the menu and don't tell you a thing about how to actually do something with the device. My 17 y.o. son has a Windows fone too, and despises it... Good Luck with it. Hope you get your data in a usable form somehow.

Whelp, I'm off to RR's Ubuntu thread now...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 12:21 PM   #4
bertieck476
Chief

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0

Thanks folks, I have been banging my head against a brickwall trying to get help from microsoft or vodafone.
I have now found a local company who will put a new screen and lcd in my phone while I wait, then I can ensure my contacts are saved where I can get to them.
Bert.
bertieck476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-16, 12:52 PM   #5
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertieck476 View Post
Thanks folks, I have been banging my head against a brickwall trying to get help from microsoft or vodafone.
I have now found a local company who will put a new screen and lcd in my phone while I wait, then I can ensure my contacts are saved where I can get to them.
Bert.
Best possible solution!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote