Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-05-22, 12:39 PM   #1
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

Default Traffic rules in your country

Instead of destroying a great thread about Trucking in USA I thought I would start a new thread about traffic rules in our countries.

Lets start with roundabouts.

In Denmark and Sweden the driver who is in the roundabouts has the right and those who approach has to give way for those inside.

How is it in your country ?

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 12:47 PM   #2
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Instead of destroying a great thread about Trucking in USA I thought I would start a new thread about traffic rules in our countries.

Lets start with roundabouts.

In Denmark and Sweden the driver who is in the roundabouts has the right and those who approach has to give way for those inside.

How is it in your country ?

Markus
Same here. I don't think it would work the other way around.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 12:55 PM   #3
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Same here. I don't think it would work the other way around.
It was first in the beginning of the 90's Denmark changed the rules-Before a car inside a roundabouts should give way for cars entering the roundabouts.

Why I started this thread is because what I experience while playing ETS2-Here it happens that car/truck enter the roundabouts while I'm in it and I have to hit the break. This happens in Germany, France, Italy and other countries.

Have a little feeling that those who created the game-does not have enough knowledge on traffic rules in different countries.

Markus

Old 01-05-22, 12:55 PM   #4
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Not a great many roundabouts in Holland when I was living there....but an abundance of traffic lights.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 01:10 PM   #5
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Same here. Napa has two new roundabouts off the main highway exits that the natives are adapting to instead of stop-signed intersections. The party in the circle has right of way. I first encountered roundabouts in New Jersey back in my '70's truckin' daze...which later served me well on countryside drives in England, Scotland & Ireland...even as I rigorously coped with right-hand steering on the left side of the road in a rented Audi. Rewiring a 65+ yearold brain to reverse its bigrig/policecar defensive righthand driving acumen of 50 years is mind-boggling; In London , Dublin or Edinburgh, I just use cabbies! Remembering to look right first instead of left when simply crossing the street is also a factor; as vehicles have right-of-way; not pedestrians and lots of Yanks are hit in the the crosswalk as they forget and look left!! My daughter pulled me back a few times in London while strolling about! https://www.nytimes.com/1991/11/25/w...he-street.html
Quote:
It is a familiar if somewhat chilling scene, played out regularly at intersections across London. A group of tourists approach a busy street, glance to their left and then confidently step off the curb -- and nearly into the path of a bus bearing down on them from the right....according to the United States Embassy here, five Americans have been killed in separate accidents in Britain when they stepped off the curb into the path of vehicles

With its right-hand traffic flow, this city has always been tough on foreign pedestrians, who can often be observed at street corners wearing the slightly startled look of deer edging alongside a freeway. It was for them, mostly, that London officals years ago began painting reminders along curbs suggesting that pedestrians "look left" or "look right" before venturing into the street.
< this helps!!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 01-05-22 at 01:30 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 01:28 PM   #6
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

It is generally accepted that in the UK the pedestrian has right of way and vehicles are expected to drive at a speed and with a level of attention and observation which allows them to safely respond to any reasonably foreseeable hazard.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 01:34 PM   #7
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
It is generally accepted that in the UK the pedestrian has right of way and vehicles are expected to drive at a speed and with a level of attention and observation which allows them to safely respond to any reasonably foreseeable hazard.
Tell that to the London Cabbies!
Quote:
A common complaint is that cars turning into an intersection will seldom yield to pedestrians already in the roadway, even if they are crossing with the light. "The Highway Code of Conduct says that pedestrians have the right of way," Mr. Howard said. But in practice, he conceded, it usually doesn't work that way.
"The sad fact is that any pedestrians who insist on their rights while crossing a street soon tend not to have anything left at all to argue about," he said.

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 03:34 PM   #8
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Jeez. You want to know about the USA drivers?
Many States have SIGNS that say Left lane for passing only!
And what do the morons do? They get on the damned phone and pull INTO the left lane and SLOW DOWN!
Then you throw roundy's at them and they don't have a CLUE how they are supposed to work!

And don't get me started on the drivers that fixate on your vehicle!
Instead of watching their speed? They fixate on you and ride your bumper or float beside you! And if you go to pass a slower Richard? The Arse holes speed up! MF'ers!
Old 01-05-22, 03:42 PM   #9
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Next question - Driving licens.

Here in Denmark and Sweden an ordinary cardriver has a Driving license B and that allow him to drive a car up to 3500 kilogram in total.

Here's an overview of various driving license categories

1. AM (small - moped 30) and AM (large - moped 45)
2. A (large MC), A1 (small MC) and A2 (between MC), A (large MC)
3. B (ordinary car -3500 kg total weight and a maximum of 8 seats in addition to the driver's)
4. B + (Truck over 3500 kg total weight, consisting of ordinary car and trailer with total weight over 750 kg)
5. C1 (Small truck - 7500 kg total weight or passenger car over 3500 kg up to 7500 kg total weight, maximum 8 seats in addition to the driver)
6. C (Large truck)
7. D1 (Small bus - maximum 16 people plus the driver)
8. D (Large bus)
9. E (Large trailer in the combinations: a) B / E, b) C1 / E, c) C / E, d) D1 / E, e) D / E

Markus

Old 01-05-22, 03:44 PM   #10
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Jeez. You want to know about the USA drivers?
Many States have SIGNS that say Left lane for passing only!
And what do the morons do? They get on the damned phone and pull INTO the left lane and SLOW DOWN!
Then you throw roundy's at them and they don't have a CLUE how they are supposed to work!

And don't get me started on the drivers that fixate on your vehicle!
Instead of watching their speed? They fixate on you and ride your bumper or float beside you! And if you go to pass a slower Richard? The Arse holes speed up! MF'ers!
Not only USA but as many countries as possible.

Markus

Old 01-05-22, 04:31 PM   #11
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

In the U.S, if you wave to other drivers while driving, You should remember to use all of your fingers and not just one.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-22, 04:53 PM   #12
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
In the U.S, if you wave to other drivers while driving, You should remember to use all of your fingers and not just one.
I've never given other drivers one finger salute. Always used one hand(five fingers) and given sign if I done something wrong.

When it comes to making thing wrong in the Traffic I learned once that in countries like France, Spain, Portugal and maybe Germany
A driver use 3 fingers on his right/left hand and spred them while they turn them horizontal-This should represent the letter E=Excuse

Markus

Old 01-05-22, 05:03 PM   #13
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

In the USA? We read between the lines.
Old 01-05-22, 05:12 PM   #14
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
In the USA? We read between the lines.
You mentioned something very important- The skill to read the traffic. To see two to three steps ahead like a good Chess player

Markus

Old 01-05-22, 06:19 PM   #15
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

Many parts of the USA are just now getting introduced to roundabouts and I have noticed that most drivers have no clue how to deal with them.

Because of that, I think the drivers who DO understand how to navigate them are the ones in greater peril.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote