SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-11, 11:28 PM   #121
jbt308
Torpedoman

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0

No worries. I did bang through the posts pretty quickly, a 2yo and 6mo make that a necessity sometimes. Towards the end, I was getting some crossed signals, only reason I asked.

I'm still wondering if the game is worth buying even with the reduced internet connection requirement.
jbt308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-11, 09:30 AM   #122
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

It's not for me. As everyone knows by now, I'll buy it when I don't have to do anything to play but click on the icon and go.
Old 01-09-11, 12:23 PM   #123
Harmsway!
XO

Downloads: 126

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbt308 View Post
No worries. I did bang through the posts pretty quickly, a 2yo and 6mo make that a necessity sometimes. Towards the end, I was getting some crossed signals, only reason I asked.

I'm still wondering if the game is worth buying even with the reduced internet connection requirement.
For the price of a movie ticket you can have SH5. You will get a lot more then a couple hours entertainment. So from price standpoint. Yes.

Is SH5 worth it as a sub sim? With the mods it is. I'm loving it myself.
Harmsway! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 09:39 AM   #124
thruster
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 0

absolutely awesome!
i think even i just might be able to get this going now?.........

i had totally written off SH5, it was just getting too painful to have this out there yet not allowed to be a part of it. now i'll most probably buy it.

guys, im gunna be light years behind the news re mods etc, so youll likely be pestered with thousands of dumb questions in the coming weeks - you have been warned!
thruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 12:22 PM   #125
Harmsway!
XO

I try to answer the fresh out of the box questions with my SH5 Quick Start Guide. Check that out when you get your copy. You should know you still need internet connection to log on.

BTW: there is a mega-mod coming too!

That should make it much easier. I've had this thing since Thanksgiving and I am just now getting done adding mods. Hey is anyone ever done? But I do have a very nice playable sim the way I like it.
Old 01-11-11, 12:40 PM   #126
troopie
Captain

Downloads: 33

Not good enough.

I live in a regional town in Australia and have only marginal internet connection. I'm not goin to waste money on a another bugfest that I may or may not be able to launch on any given day.

I have SH3 + 4 and feel pretty let down by Ubisoft. After putting up with endless bugs, issues and useless instruction manuals time after time you begin to feel that they really do just want to stick the boot into ya.

I've had a look at SH5 on my bro's machine and it has all same sorts of issues the previous titles have had, but now you've gotta be on the internet too?!! you really wonder how much effort Ubi expects their customers to go to to play their games!!!
troopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 04:44 PM   #127
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

If someone with a laptop and SH5 could do an experiment for me, I would be most appreciative...

Launch the game while on the internet (logging onto the UBI Servers). Pause the game, alt-tab out, and place the laptop into sleep or hybernate mode. Then awaken windows and resume the game.

Does the game resume properly after being in hybernation or must it re-log onto UBI servers?

If this works and ALL that is needed is to log on once when starting, I might be able to get by when traveling by keeping my laptop in sleep mode when not in use. If it doesn't, then I'll remain on the sidelines and wait for UBI to drop this crap.

Thanks in advance!
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-11, 06:05 PM   #128
Harmsway!
XO

The graphic requirements are steep. You must make sure your laptop can handle it or it won't be worthwhile. I tried lowering the settings on my laptop and SH5 works but not well. Anyway I can at least try and see.

Last edited by Harmsway!; 01-14-11 at 06:43 PM.
Old 01-14-11, 06:39 PM   #129
Harmsway!
XO

It didn't work.

First I tried by Alt-Tab out and going into sleep mode. That did work. When I woke up my machine I Alt-tab right back where I left off.

Second I tried hibernation. That didn't work. It resumed Windows and I was able to Alt-tab back in but it recognized the interruption and brought me back to a previous save after re-astablishing a internet connection.

Maybe that helps if you can save locally, which I did, and then go back to that save. However I think you will need internet connection when you get to where your going. At least for logging on. Or it might work without logging back on since your already booted in to the main screen of the game. But I didn't test that because my laptop connected to the internet automatically through the wireless.

The point is you do alt-tab back into the main menu.
Old 01-14-11, 11:48 PM   #130
sabretwo
Frogman

Downloads: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmsway! View Post
It didn't work.

First I tried by Alt-Tab out and going into sleep mode. That did work. When I woke up my machine I Alt-tab right back where I left off.

Second I tried hibernation. That didn't work. It resumed Windows and I was able to Alt-tab back in but it recognized the interruption and brought me back to a previous save after re-astablishing a internet connection.

Maybe that helps if you can save locally, which I did, and then go back to that save. However I think you will need internet connection when you get to where your going. At least for logging on. Or it might work without logging back on since your already booted in to the main screen of the game. But I didn't test that because my laptop connected to the internet automatically through the wireless.

The point is you do alt-tab back into the main menu.
Thanks a lot for your help. That helps quite a bit.

As for systems, my laptop is a 3-month old Sony Vaio. I'm not sure the exact specs at hand...its not an Alienware gaming rig, but its pretty respectable.
sabretwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 03:37 PM   #131
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Downloads: 20

Wait, so sh5 doesn't need to connect to ubi anymore? I only read the first page and it just sounds like this guy had a fluke.
Ilpalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 04:25 PM   #132
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo View Post
Wait, so sh5 doesn't need to connect to ubi anymore? I only read the first page and it just sounds like this guy had a fluke.
No, I didn't have a fluke.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 05:03 PM   #133
Ilpalazzo
Frogman

Downloads: 20

So it really works without the internet now? Or is it just that it needs to connect once and then it works? sorry i didn't feel like reading 9 pages. If sh5 works without an internet connection i would buy it.
Ilpalazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 08:36 PM   #134
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilpalazzo View Post
sorry i didn't feel like reading 9 pages.
All you had to read was the first post.
Old 01-19-11, 08:38 PM   #135
Zeke1902
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 22

I don't understand why anyone who buys the game doesn't use the crack. Doesn't make sense to me. I bought it and I use the crack because the DRM is bull****.
Zeke1902 is offline   Reply With Quote