Closed Thread

Old 03-17-17, 07:17 AM   #1081
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
James Cotton, legendary Blues harpist, passed away at the age of 81 today. Considered to be a "players player" by other harpists and highly respected by other musicians, in and out of the Blues circles, Cotton's career spanned nearly seven decades and his influence will live on long into the future:

Thanks Mr. Cotton for your own great talent and the great contributions you have made to the works of others. The Blues are a bit more bluer today...

<O>

Couldn't say it any better. ^^

I'm saddened to hear of James Cotton's passing.

Rest in peace James.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-17-17 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-17-17, 09:01 AM   #1082
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-17-17, 11:28 AM   #1083
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

@vienna

Man, he was so good.

R.I.P. James Cotton.

...And Commander. Thanks for HQ music (Especially Delbert McClinton)
Old 03-17-17, 01:57 PM   #1084
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Mirageman - Hashish

MIRAGEMAN - Hallucination

Roy Budd - The Thief

Last edited by fumo30; 03-17-17 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-17-17, 06:20 PM   #1085
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumo30 View Post
@vienna

Man, he was so good.

R.I.P. James Cotton.

...And Commander. Thanks for HQ music (Especially Delbert McClinton)

You are more than welcome fumo and I should say thanks as well. You, Eichorchen, Jimbuna, U crank, Vienna and others do a lot to add music to this thread, Jimbuna on a regular basis. It's always great to see what everyone is listening to and gain some insight into various songs and artists. That's usually courtesy of Vienna. Delbert McClinton really is underrated.

This is from the Prince's Trust Concert in 1986 Featuring Eric Clapton's duet with Tina Turner and Phil Collins on drums.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-17-17 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 07:24 PM   #1086
Bleiente
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Old 03-19-17, 05:21 AM   #1087
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Old 03-20-17, 08:10 AM   #1088
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-20-17, 08:59 AM   #1089
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

The recent loss of Chuck Berry and the loss of musical talent this year and last year has served as a reminder that nothing lasts forever. The ravages of time generally isn't kind to musically talented performers, especially vocalists. The grueling tour schedules coupled with late nights and lack of sleep, poor diets and lack of exercise takes it's toll. In some cases, alcohol and drug abuse makes a bad situation even worse.

There are however artists whose abilities and vocal ranges have not been diminished by time and seem to be as remarkably fresh as when their songs were first recorded. One such artist is Gary Brooker, lead singer and founding member of Procol Harum. This video is from an appearance in Denmark in 2006 and it appears Gary has lost little if anything of his vocal abilities. Gary puts everything into this song even though he has performed it countless times. It's nice to be able to recognize these songs and performers when they are still alive who have in essence, written the musical soundtracks to our lives.

Whiter shade of Pale is one of those songs that is instantly identifiable with just a few notes . This song easily lends itself to an orchestral arrangement and the backing and accompaniment of an orchestra only enhances what was already a beautiful song.

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-20-17 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-20-17, 12:45 PM   #1090
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Dmitri Shostakovich: headbanger...

Old 03-20-17, 03:08 PM   #1091
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

<O>
Old 03-21-17, 05:11 AM   #1092
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post

I saw the movie Crossroads which starred Ralph Macchio and Steve Vai in a guitar duel at the end of the movie. Although Steve Vai is an incredible guitarist, I was more drawn to who was playing for Ralph Macchio. It was Ry Cooder playing slide Guitar and the other parts including Paganini's 5th Caprice. I will never be able to play like them and I don't even try but for me, it set the bar pretty high.

Crossroads is a favorite movie for me, also; I still dig it out from time to time and re-watch it; one of my favorite scenes is when Willie Brown gives Eugene a bit of a down-notching:

Quote:
Willie Brown: You got your mind made up about how everything works, don't you? How you gonna learn anything new when you know everything already?

[He picks up Eugene's old, scratched acoustic guitar]

Look at this old guitar you been squeaking on. I bet you saw this thing in a music store and bought it just because you thought it was beat up. Well, you got it all wrong. Muddy Waters invented electricity!
Here is a link to an article about the guitar playing aspects of the film:

http://www.guitarworld.com/artist-ne...ero-arlen-roth

Ry Cooder is, without a doubt, one of the finest, cleanest, and authentic slide guitar players around today, up there with Bonnie Raitt and Roy Rogers (not the movie cowboy). Back in 1972, the Rolling Stones released an album of takes from a jam session involving Jagger, Watts, Wyman, pianist extraordinaire Nicky Hopkins, and Ry Cooder. Reportedly, Keith had stormed out of a recording session, some say after a disagreement about Cooder; Cooder had played on some tracks for the Let it Bleed album and was, at one time, rumored to be a possible replacement for Brian Jones who was on the cusp of getting the boot. Also rumored was Eric Clapton, and Ronnie Wood was actually selected by the Stone to replaces Brian in 1969 but he lost out when his band mates in the Faces, fearful of losing Wood without his knowledge, intercepted Jagger's call and told the Stones Wood wasn't interested; Wood, in fact, had for a long time really wanted to join the Stones. Neither Wood, at that time, nor Cooder got the gig, but album of the jam sessions was released as Jamming With Edward. You sort of have to be a real fan of all things Stones in order to really want to listen to the whole album since it is just a collection of sometimes rambling jams; there is one "real song" on the album, a cover of a slow Elmore James number:

Speaking of Bonnie Raitt and Roy Rogers, here they are together live:

Commander, you mentioned Delbert McClinton, someone who falls into the category of "greatly overlooked musicians". His contributions have far exceed his fame and it somehow seems more than just a little unjust. First heard of him when I won a prize on a radio call-in quiz; the exact prize wasn't specified; days later I received in the mail an LP by a duo named Delbert & Glen. I don't know whatever happened to Glen, but Delbert sure made name for himself...

This last video is by a young lady who plays a mean blues guitar: Samantha Fish...

If you liked this, check her on YouTube; she's just as mean on slide...

<O>
Old 03-21-17, 07:36 AM   #1093
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Crossroads is a favorite movie for me, also; I still dig it out from time to time and re-watch it; one of my favorite scenes is when Willie Brown gives Eugene a bit of a down-notching:

Commander, you mentioned Delbert McClinton, someone who falls into the category of "greatly overlooked musicians". His contributions have far exceed his fame and it somehow seems more than just a little unjust. First heard of him when I won a prize on a radio call-in quiz; the exact prize wasn't specified; days later I received in the mail an LP by a duo named Delbert & Glen. I don't know whatever happened to Glen, but Delbert sure made name for himself...

<O>
All I can say is wow. I was not familiar with Samantha Fish. Thanks to you Vienna, I am now. I have known a number of women guitarists, one in particular that could play and swap guitar parts with anyone, in whatever style you wanted as well.

I didn't know about Arlen Roth's role in the movie crossroads. I'm happy that Stevie Vai came out in Guitar World to talk of Arlen's creative involvement in the movie. Although not well known, Stevie Vai was a student himself of guitarist extraordinaire Joe Satriani. Joe had said that Stevie was already a great guitarist and both of these gentleman are humble in how they approach guitar playing.

I'm a fan of Bonnie Raitt and have most if not all of her albums. Ry Cooder and Duane Allman among others stand out though as " slide guitar " players for me though.

You had mentioned those guitarists that had never been fully appreciated.

Roy Linwood Clark and Jerry Reed and Glen Campbell comes to mind. Roy Clark can play anything with strings. The incomparable Chet Atkins with his string skipping technique is in the mix as well.

Thanks for the links Vienna. I'll be sure to check out more Samantha Fish

Old 03-21-17, 08:28 AM   #1094
vienna
Navy Seal

Chet Atkins and Jerry Reed are indeed great players. Glen Campbell, even though he is a famous star in his own right is well remembered here in Hollywood as being once a member of the highly admired and regarded group of session musicians known as "The Wrecking Crew", the cream of Musician's Local #47. Campbell was a standout in a gathering of standouts. They backed pretty much every pop, rock, C&W, or nearly any other genre artists recording in Hollywood. Glen provided guitar work on albums or singles by the Beach Boys, The Monkees, and the Byrds, as well as other 'straight' acts like Sinatra, King Cole, Dean Martin, etc. He was the entire package: singer, songwriter, arranger, producer and more. It is a shame Alzheimer's has taken its toll on him; just yesterday, I heard a report on the radio of his wife saying Glen's condition has progressed so much, he can no longer play or hold a guitar...

Roy Clark is in a class of his own. Back in about the mid 60s or so, I saw him on a TV show where talked about not being a very good finger-picker and how he had learned to adapt finger-style compositions to flat-pick style. He then played his version of a Spanish finger-style number he had just recently sussed out; he was very nervous about playing the song and was visibly sweating even as he started to play. The number he was trying out later became a staple of his stage act and almost a signature number. This video shows him playing a composition that even for adept finger-pickers can be challenging; the first and last bit of the video is a bit marred by some long ago TV producer trying to add some psychedelic touches:

Speaking of the Malaguena and referring back to female guitarists, a lot of people are unaware of one lady who, although best known as as the "Cuchi-Cuchi" girl, is a really great classical Spanish guitarist. Charo was, at a very young age, a student of Andres Segovia:

<O>
Old 03-21-17, 09:55 AM   #1095
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna
Charo was, at a very young age, a student of Andres Segovia:
Andrés Segovia: how it should be done imho

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 03-21-17 at 10:12 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
music