SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-05-16, 01:21 PM   #1066
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
iam working on the visual balance between subs and DD´s.
The Cheers after torpedohit is easy to delete.
Disable the mod and then you go to data/sound/speech of the mod.
There you see subfolders from 1 - 9
In this 9 folders you will find the OGG-File "ChE_K_Torpedo_impact"
Delete this file in every of the nine folder an then activate the mod again.
Then you will here the stock "Torpedo impact"

Regards

Maddy
Just found this while pursuing Maddy's original FOTRS thread. Don't know if this will help with the torpedo hit and cheering stuff or not.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 01:32 PM   #1067
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Yes, it is in your Documents \ Data \ CFG \ main.cfg file.

The second section from the top should be this:

[TIME COMPRESSION]
TimeStop=0
RealTime=1
LandProximity=64
CriticalDamage=1
CrewEfficiency=128;1
AirEnemyDetected=1
SoundEffects=2
CharacterAnim=4
EnemyDetected=1
RadioReport=1
Particles=8
PrayState=8
HunterState=32
3DRender=32
Maximum=2048

The yellow highlighted LandProximinty=, is where you set it to what ever you want. It doesn't have a setting for bases in particular, but since they are part of the landscape, getting close to land will atuomatically drop you from whatever TC setting you have to whatever you set the number to based on the TC increments.

You can set it for 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, etc etc.
Something that might be useful around US Naval Bases when returning from a patrol.

Old 08-05-16, 03:06 PM   #1068
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
One other thing I should mention is that after taking with Florida Sailor I've got a good handle on what to do with the different levels of AI for the game. I will put together the five different levels you mentioned and upload to the storage area.
Oooh - that sounds interesting

--------------------------------------------------
Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=226270
The future of SH4 - coming to a PC near you soon
max-peck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 03:37 PM   #1069
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Another productive night for the USS Gato

Picked up two contacts in the Java Sea. They were going away from me, then changed course.
I figured out their new course, and shadowed them, until they made their second turn

And they have made the second turn, I am now in a good position

I am quite used to the following, but non TMO players may not know this.
If you hit F9, you can do the whole attack from the conning tower.
Click on the attack periscope and you are treated to an animation of the periscope rising. After which, you can click on the eyepiece ane go to the periscope view. Maximum immersion

First hit no problem

Second ship was a bit more problematic
Just about hit him right on the bow

He wasn't going down though, so I hit him with another from my stern tubes
No screenies of that - sorry

He still wouldn't go down so I surfaced to put a few rounds of 4" in him

Then I experienced something strange

Just after I got the "He's going down" message, all of his tracers stopped heading towards me, and started falling softly out of the sky like spent fireworks, or snowflakes.
I wish I had taken a video of it

Here are some screenies to show you what I mean

You will just have to imagine the tracers falling softly like snowflakes

Not a gamebreaker by any stretch of the imagination.

just a little bit odd

Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force

If the only tool you have is a hammer, pretty soon everything starts to look like a nail

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-05-16, 06:23 PM   #1070
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Hey, boss. Has anything been done with the mission files from v2.0?. I'm going to play with this weekend and see what they bring to the table. I'm seem to remember something Maddy said about doing a complete rework of the v2.0 files. Anyway, I'm going to look at them and see if they are worth using in FOTRSU.

One other thing I should mention is that after talking with Florida Sailor I've got a good handle on what to do with the different levels of AI for the game. I will put together the five different levels you mentioned and upload to the storage area.
Right now the campaign files in Ultimate are 2.0 campaign files. So we're using them now! They seem to be pretty masterful.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-16, 06:31 PM   #1071
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Max-peck reminded me of another bug I noticed last night that has to be fixed going into beta 0.2. I'm running on the surface at 10 knots and always the first contact I get is a sonar contact. What's going with that!

So I manned the radar station, set 30,000 yards range (that's the longest range, right?) and swept. No contact. Went to periscope depth and pinged the target, which was easily locatable with passive sonar. 15,000 yards! With a little experimenting I found the FOTRS Ultimate radar is good only for seven or eight miles on ships, the exact same range as the SD radar detects planes!

This is clearly stuffed. Nobody's ever complained about stock radar ranges. I propose we just reinstate radar performance from stock.

The game only displays one sensor at a time on the nav map, so if you have a sound contact and subsequently get a radar hit, all you see on your nav map is a sonar spike. Not good. Radar range should be 40,000 yards or so and the first acquired contact on a ship should always be radar, not sonar. Yes, you might get marginally more range at or below periscope depth with sonar. I'm talking about while cruising on the surface.
Old 08-05-16, 06:31 PM   #1072
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
Right now the campaign files in Ultimate are 2.0 campaign files. So we're using them now! They seem to be pretty masterful.
Roger that.

Old 08-05-16, 06:33 PM   #1073
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-peck View Post

You will just have to imagine the tracers falling softly like snowflakes

Not a gamebreaker by any stretch of the imagination.

just a little bit odd
Snowflakes Are Dancing!
Old 08-05-16, 11:25 PM   #1074
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Max-peck reminded me of another bug I noticed last night ...

... Nobody's ever complained about stock radar ranges. I propose we just reinstate radar performance from stock ...

... The game only displays one sensor at a time on the nav map ...
I definitely want the sensors to work the way the sensors are supposed to. I have always imagined that the radar and/or sonar and/or look-out call out a contact, bearing and range. The feller standing near the chart gets his pencil out, and marks the chart. A few minutes later, they do the same routine. They have a target track. The radar actually gets them ON the target. There is no hiding things like that from the captain, like I've been experiencing, similar to you guys'...

In a similar vein, I don't know if you saw me mention that I've had now three incidents where, while doing TC (and this last one was at 128x), I've had a lookout calls out a contact "Ship spotted, bearing 310, long range" (or whatever the bearing is), and the computer doesn't drop out of TC. If you're not looking right at the top dialog box, you're SOL. Now, I'm pretty sure the one time, I was at 1024, and the second I'm reasonably sure it was at 256x. I'm near the Celebes Sea in all instances, on an S boat, '41-42. By the time I get back to normal time, no matter which way I go, the "ship" is gone... Never had an icon on the chart showing the contact either. Just pops up on the dialog box up top. No vocalization... Not cool to have missed a pretty big party on the 2nd miss...

Thus far, I've only found ONE target to shoot torpedoes at, between two boats on two different computers, December 9th 1941 to January 4th 1942 time frame, cruising around the Celebes Sea with the one, wasting diesel... The Pearl Campaign ain't lookin' very good... I might have to go back to a save. It's like 1100 and we've just had an airplane spot us, since the boat just won't do what ya want it to. Took forever to dive, then we had a very difficult time getting back up top. I'm afraid that when the planes come back, and they will, especially since we're still way within range of Hokkaido and Honshu both, that we'll be easy pickin's. Sunset ain't for another 7+ hours... We'll see, but I've saved and left it again... Stressin' me out...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 01:09 AM   #1075
Berserker
Aggressive skipper

Downloads: 2166

I know that this idea may cause some fur to stand up,but how about enlisted ranks being added to the uniforms as the are promoted???
Old 08-06-16, 02:25 AM   #1076
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

Quote:
Snowflakes Are Dancing!
Saw this same thing in SH3 before.
It was traced to to great of an angle of the guns when they fired.
So if the guns were firing while the ship was sinking maybe the angle
was pointing up over 60 degrees?
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-16, 02:27 AM   #1077
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
In a similar vein, I don't know if you saw me mention that I've had now three incidents where, while doing TC (and this last one was at 128x), I've had a lookout calls out a contact "Ship spotted, bearing 310, long range" (or whatever the bearing is), and the computer doesn't drop out of TC. If you're not looking right at the top dialog box, you're SOL. Now, I'm pretty sure the one time, I was at 1024, and the second I'm reasonably sure it was at 256x. I'm near the Celebes Sea in all instances, on an S boat, '41-42. By the time I get back to normal time, no matter which way I go, the "ship" is gone...
had similar myself - I always start my careers in the Asiatic fleet at the beginning of 1942
I will tell you what I think this is
A friendly ship
Until June of 1942 you will often get Dutch ships transiting the Java Sea, The Celebes and the Makassar Straits - before the fall of Surabaya these were Dutch waters
In the opening months of the war I often get contacts in these waters that do not drop me out of TC
Whenever I have been quick enough to notice and drop out of TC myself and investigate - it has always been a Dutch freighter, gunboat, tug or subchaser

Seems the game will not drop you out of TC for a friendly contact in Asiatic waters

This has been my experience so far

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-06-16, 02:31 AM   #1078
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Saw this same thing in SH3 before.
It was traced to to great of an angle of the guns when they fired.
So if the guns were firing while the ship was sinking maybe the angle
was pointing up over 60 degrees?
OK Jeff - they were probably firing more or less straight up just before they sank
That makes sense

FOTRS Ultimate
Old 08-06-16, 03:20 AM   #1079
max-peck
Grey Wolf

Tiny little modlet available on the secret 'Man From UNCLE' Google Drive

801 FOTRSU Water Clarity

It is in the WIP folder

Changes the underwater scene from this

To this

Good for people like me who love watching their sub as it creeps along underwater

EDIT - pretty much the same as the one I did a few months back, but made with the most recent Scene.DAT from the current BETA

FOTRS Ultimate

Last edited by max-peck; 08-06-16 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-06-16, 07:38 AM   #1080
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
had similar myself - I always start my careers in the Asiatic fleet at the beginning of 1942 ... Seems the game will not drop you out of TC for a friendly contact in Asiatic waters ...
Thanks for that. Thought I was either going bonkers, or I had mod soup again already somehow... However, why does it do that there, and not near Pearl, or enroute to Honshu? - Or ~does~ it?... After the second incident of that, I got a message that several US subs and a destroyer group encountered a landing fleet, and had a grand ole time... If I'd have seen the contact and dropped out of TC, I would probably has seen the US destroyers enroute to their rendezvous with destiny... If only I'd joined up with them, I'd probably have me more than 3850 in tonnage sunk...

Quote:
Tiny little modlet available on the secret 'Man From UNCLE' Google Drive

801 FOTRSU Water Clarity ... Good for people like me who love watching their sub as it creeps along underwater ...
Oooh... ~pretty~... You're sure now, that the destroyers and airplanes, persistent devil dogs that they are, won't be able to see my boat at 150 foot and drop them garbage cans full of boom-boom on me, right... ???

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote