Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-25-14, 09:25 AM   #1051
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Default MAMA

If you want the living crap scared out of you then watch this...
Eichhörnchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-14, 01:51 PM   #1052
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Default Saints & Soldiers: The Void

I've looked everywhere but I can't find who it was mentioned in GT's he was going to watch this recently. I bought it yesterday (had no knowledge of it until I read that helpful post: thank you)... UTTERLY BRILLIANT!

I'm only part way through owing to an interruption, but will resume later. These guys know the importance of a good narrative; it's not just a bunch of re-enactors running about in the woods in Kentucky... this is a good story with real hardware on display. Once again, to their great credit, they include a Brit as a sympathetic character.
Old 11-26-14, 09:17 PM   #1053
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhornchen View Post
If you want the living crap scared out of you then watch this...
Honestly thought that was a pretty crappy movie. You should watch The Conjuring and Annabelle. Those are better, recent horror movies.

Quote:
I've looked everywhere but I can't find who it was mentioned in GT's he was going to watch this recently. I bought it yesterday (had no knowledge of it until I read that helpful post: thank you)... UTTERLY BRILLIANT!
Twas me. I remember writing that post somewhere. Either here or the What Are You Doing in Real Life thread.

Quote:
I'm only part way through owing to an interruption, but will resume later. These guys know the importance of a good narrative; it's not just a bunch of re-enactors running about in the woods in Kentucky... this is a good story with real hardware on display. Once again, to their great credit, they include a Brit as a sympathetic character.
I haven't watched it just yet. Today I got through Dazed and Confused and I'm halfway through Horrible Bosses.

I heard this was good though. I'll get through it tonight or tomorrow most likely if I don't get caught up doing something else.
Old 11-26-14, 11:37 PM   #1054
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

I have to stay away from supernatural horror movies, they scare the bejeezus out of me

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-14, 11:49 PM   #1055
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Just read the wiki article, looks great

Quote:
Once again, to their great credit, they include a Brit as a sympathetic character.
Brit? Don't you mean German?
Old 11-27-14, 02:03 AM   #1056
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

I mean the British Lieutenant who teams up with Owens. Watching the rest of the film tonight with a nice beer and snacks...

(P/S thanks, RO1984... I did look everywhere for your post. Horrible Bosses I enjoyed too: Jennifer Aniston... Phwooaaarr!!)
Old 11-27-14, 10:33 AM   #1057
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Just read the wiki article, looks great
You should watch the first two! The three of those movies are pretty good for the budget.

Quote:
I mean the British Lieutenant who teams up with Owens. Watching the rest of the film tonight with a nice beer and snacks...

(P/S thanks, RO1984... I did look everywhere for your post. Horrible Bosses I enjoyed too: Jennifer Aniston... Phwooaaarr!!)
Seems like the S&S series always has a British lieutenant team up with the Americans.

Horrible Bosses I enjoyed. I want to go see the second one soon.
Old 11-27-14, 01:07 PM   #1058
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Tonight I'm going to see dawn of the planet of the apes

yesterday I got a 50 % coupun to any movie I like to see.

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-14, 02:52 AM   #1059
BossMark
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 278

As anyone seen "Lucy" I know must be worth a look at just because it as the very lovely Scarlett Johansson in it
Old 11-28-14, 10:12 AM   #1060
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossMark View Post
As anyone seen "Lucy" I know must be worth a look at just because it as the very lovely Scarlett Johansson in it
Trusted friends said it was the worst movie they'd ever seen. I personally have not seen it.

The concept looked dumb.
Old 11-28-14, 02:33 PM   #1061
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Finally saw Fury last night and my expectations have been met 100%.

My thoughts:

As usual, the Germans (or whoever is fighting the mighty, unstoppable, glorious freedom train of the US of A this time, be it Germans, Japanese, Vietnamese, ...) where dumb as bricks and obviously never received any sort of combat training, resulting in ridiculous scenes where 2 AT guns ambush a group of Shermans at some hundred meters... but only one AT gun opens fire (and misses of course) initially because... why exactly?
Oh right, cause the movie would have been over right there probably.

Then the hilarious Tiger battle scene.
They used smoke on him - good call. Then they just backup and wait. And wait. And wait... why the hell use smoke if you wont take advantage of it? They could have closed in from 2 sides - keeping up the smoke screen - and then take it out with minimal or even 0 casualties but hey, war is so damn gritty and brutal, we gotta lose 2 tanks again to that "beast" before we kill it in a knife-fight scene that made me laugh and cry at the same time. And why would they fire on the move all the time, even on shorter ranges? Accuracy is 0 in WW2 tanks, while moving.
What about the Tiger? Why would he care to cut the distance and get closer!? What the...?
With an 8,8cm gun under 1km, he could conveniently wait and one-shot every Sherman tank frontally, why close in and basically help the Shermans? Too boring otherwise? I don't get it.
The smoke cleared as well, there was no reason he would close in... at all.

The cherry on top?
The final battle scene.
One immobilized Sherman tank against "200-300" SS soldiers.

WHAT?

While I see how their initial "playing dead" ambush worked, I feel insulted that the creators of this movie wants anyone, me included, to believe that a few hundred SS soldiers (able men, motivated, well equipped with many AT weapons as we could see while they where approaching) are totally unable to kill one single, already immobilized Sherman in less then a minute without any casualties - after the ambush.

They, one after the other or at least in small bunched up groups(), try to approach the tank EVEN FROM THE FRONT() and get mowed down (oh surprise!).

Why didn't they just attack from 2-3 sides at once?
The turret can only cover one direction at a time and traverses slowly, they could even out-run it, Jesus!

Why did they not IMMEDIATELY drop smoke grenades and took it out with 0 further casualties? What the tank can't see, it can't shoot.
Instead they wait to receive extreme casualties and then go like
"Oh Fritz, uhm...maybe we use smoke now after losing the squads of Wilhelm, Peter, Frank und Paul?!?"
"Ah yes Hans, gute idea, ja. Make it so!"

Gnaaahhhhh...!!

Besides the initial ambush scene, they should not have lost a single soldier. Heck, probably even some HJ kids with some weeks of training could have cracked that tank without too many casualties, considering the tank was initially surrounded and immobilized.
It made me cringe, nearly scream out loud!

So Nippel, the movie was so bad you say?
Yes and no, a movie is more than that, although they went way, way over-board this time when it comes to that and it spoils the dish for me, it might be OK for others.
Besides the terribad depiction of the always unable and retarded enemy, the movie delivered great images and tried to be very accurate when it comes to costumes, weapons, equipment etc.
It was a joy for the eyes (and ears by the way) for sure and the acting, was convincing and solid - at least in my books, even though I have a hard time listening to the mumbling of Wardaddy/Pitt.

Oh... I skipped the "Wardaddy is forcing his new guy to execute a POW cuz war is so gritty" scene because I would probably be unable to use a clean language and just break down, crying myself to sleep over it. Again.

All in all, I can recommend the movie to everyone who is interested in military movies. You won't get another chance of seeing so many beautiful tanks in action and the pictures are worth it, really.
If you, like me, care about authenticity and are not ok with an unfair, one-sided and inaccurate depiction of the forces participating, just stuff popcorn in your face each time you wanna scream or cry or curse... and bring a lot of popcorn for that!

Enjoy Fury...
Old 11-29-14, 07:38 PM   #1062
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

I am watching "PQ17 An Arctic Convoy Disaster" a BBC documentary

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03n3297

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-14, 08:54 PM   #1063
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

Today I saw two interesting program on N24

Die Aliens kommen! Sind wir bereit

and

UFO's Im Dritten Reich

later on it's
Die ersten Fliegerasse

Markus
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-14, 12:14 AM   #1064
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

I'm spending the last days of the month catching up on movies I missed in the theater. Wednesday and Thursday were the two Hobbit movies, yesterday was the 2010 Clash of the Titans remake - far better than the 1981 original, though still taking a lot of liberties with the source material. Today was X-Men First Class.

Last edited by Sailor Steve; 11-30-14 at 02:02 AM.
Sailor Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-14, 01:33 AM   #1065
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
...yesterday was the 2010 Clash of the Titans remake - far better than the 1981 original, though still taking a lot of liberties with the source material. Today was X-Men First Class.
I liked both of those. X-Men First Class has a pretty cool Cold War theme.

I've not seen the sequel to either one...(fairly certain there's been a Clash sequel since it came out....)

Tags
films, movie, movies