SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-08, 05:19 PM   #91
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Downloads: 265
Uploads: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins
Fred, you have wasted more of my hard drive space than any modder or game itself! I'm so addicted I have an RSS feed of your FileFront files running at all times. I am a sick puppy and my hard drive is suffering.
WHATTA YA MEAN WASTED!!

On a more serious note, it looks like I'll be getting to those add-ons sooner than I thought. I just got sunk in my current career, so I may as well get them done before starting a new one.

So your hard drive will suffering even more soon!

I'm evil I tells ya!! EVIL!!!
fred8615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-08, 08:42 PM   #92
virtualpender
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 281
Uploads: 0

Fred, by any chance do you have Volume 2 of the Radio Saigon mod? I haven't had any luck at an any of the existing links.

Thank you in advance.
virtualpender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-08, 10:22 AM   #93
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtualpender
Fred, by any chance do you have Volume 2 of the Radio Saigon mod? I haven't had any luck at an any of the existing links.

Thank you in advance.
Sorry, no. I've never been able to find it myself.
Old 06-12-08, 12:28 PM   #94
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 294

hi i just downloaded,all 17 nbc radio files to try this out which took me like 3 to 4 days to finish,leaving my computer on all day and night-Geee-Whizzz! lol,when i was done i went to unzip the files,i got an error message or something,and then i checked my hard drive and it was jam packed full up{i have a 120 Gb hard drive}.I really want these radio stations fred posted, any ideas what to do now?
mainexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-08, 02:09 PM   #95
Digital_Trucker
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 141
Uploads: 10

Normally I'd be a smart a55 and tell you to get a bigger hard drive, but this time I'll suggest something else.:rotfl: (but you really should get a bigger drive, or, better yet, another large hard drive)

If you have a DVD burner, you could burn the zipped files you downloaded to DVDs (make sure and use a burning program that will verify the accuracy of the data on the DVD after burning, such as Nero) and then delete the zipped files from your hard drive, then unzip them onto your hard drive from the DVDs. You could accomplish the same thing if you have another computer on your network with some free hard drive space. Basically, anything you can do to get the zipped files off of your crammed hard drive and then unzip them back to your system will help. You may find that you still don't have enough room, though.

You might, also, want to take the opportunity to clean up your hard drive and defrag it (after you get the zipped files off of it).

RSM-GIEP-Killflags-LV Tribute-Playable Elco __Peace be with you, Dave.

Digital_Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-08, 09:40 AM   #96
fred8615
Saint of the seas

If all you have is the 120GB, then I echo DT's suggestion of getting a second drive if at all possible. Modern software, and games especially, will eat that up in nothing flat! I have a 160GB that came with my computer, and got a 500GB for Christmas that I use just for games. At the moment both are about half full.

If you can't get a second or bigger drive, but manage to make enough space for the NBC mod, DO NOT use JSGME to install it!! JSGME copies the files from it's Mods folder to the destination, thus requiring at least double the drive space. You can either extract the KPO folder directly in the Radio folder if your program does that, or extract everything to a temp folder and just "move" the KPO folder.

I am sorry for your problems. The NBC station is so large because they had the overwhemlingly vast majority of the most popular programs from that era. And as I mention earlier in this thread, I couldn't decide what to leave out.

And now for what could be either good news, or bad news, depending upon your POV: I'm planning at least one, maybe two more add-ons for the NBC station. Thus asking for even more hard drive space, should you choose to use it. Right now I'm working on a CBS add-on, then I have to do a KGMB version. So it'll be a couple of weeks before I start the NBC one. So consider yourselves warned!!
Old 06-13-08, 11:40 AM   #97
mainexpress
Ensign

Downloads: 294

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred8615
If all you have is the 120GB, then I echo DT's suggestion of getting a second drive if at all possible. Modern software, and games especially, will eat that up in nothing flat! I have a 160GB that came with my computer, and got a 500GB for Christmas that I use just for games. At the moment both are about half full.

If you can't get a second or bigger drive, but manage to make enough space for the NBC mod, DO NOT use JSGME to install it!! JSGME copies the files from it's Mods folder to the destination, thus requiring at least double the drive space. You can either extract the KPO folder directly in the Radio folder if your program does that, or extract everything to a temp folder and just "move" the KPO folder.

I am sorry for your problems. The NBC station is so large because they had the overwhemlingly vast majority of the most popular programs from that era. And as I mention earlier in this thread, I couldn't decide what to leave out.

And now for what could be either good news, or bad news, depending upon your POV: I'm planning at least one, maybe two more add-ons for the NBC station. Thus asking for even more hard drive space, should you choose to use it. Right now I'm working on a CBS add-on, then I have to do a KGMB version. So it'll be a couple of weeks before I start the NBC one. So consider yourselves warned!!
Thanks for the help,as soon as i can get some money together,im gonna buy another hard drive,or better yet i need to build another machine,with all the bells and whistles,dual core SLI etc....I was able to take call of duty 2 off my hard drive to make some space,and did some defragging to make room for the time being.Once i unzip the first nbc file, I dont have to unzip the rest{Right} because when i try too it wants me to overwrite.
mainexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-08, 11:53 AM   #98
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainexpress
Once i unzip the first nbc file, I dont have to unzip the rest{Right} because when i try too it wants me to overwrite.
Correct. Just pick one part. And it can be any of them.
Old 06-24-08, 06:18 AM   #99
Jan7
Gunner

Location: 40°37'37.99"N 3°59'43.30"W COLLADO VILLALBA -SPAIN-
Downloads: 5

Quote:
I've uploaded two more Add-ons. One for the KNX (CBS) station, and one for the KGMB station. See the first post for details.
Dear Fred:

Again, thanks for share this wonderful and nice music with us !

Jan.

La llave es de la Libertad de La Sabiduría. El Cerrojo de la Esclavitud la ignorancia
http://www.u-historia.com
http://translate.google.com/? # Es | en|
Jan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 01:50 AM   #100
LiveGoat
XO

Downloads: 439
Default Download Order?

Hey, Fred!

Thanks so much for the great station mods! I do have a two questions though:

1. Do I have to download these in order or just extract them in order? I think I may have downloaded some in reverse order (given that I was up so late trying to get them all!) I've already installed them and I reread your first post again and I'm starting to think I may have screwed up cause I'm hearing Roosevelt's speech on the affiliate stations as well as the first one (is that normal?).

2. I copied the station and music files to DVD to free up HD space so if I recopy them to my HD in order will that be the same as downloading them in order? Or should I just start all over and go back to filefront?

I'm currently in a new career in 1941 so maybe it's just not enough time has passed but I'm not sure. Sorry for the long post. Thanks again.

--LG

P.S. I'm using JSGE for enabling only BTW.
LiveGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 08:23 AM   #101
fred8615
Saint of the seas

The download and extraction order shouldn't matter at all. You do need to install any Add-ons in the proper order. But that's all you have to worry about. What FDR speech are you hearing, when did you hear it, and on which station? I need a little more detail to figure out what you're talking about.

Copying from a disk to the HD shouldn't be a problem either. The only thing is, burning to a disk makes the files "read only," and they remain so if you copy them from the disk. But that shouldn't affect the game as it only "reads" the files anyway. It's not supposed to be editting or changing them.
Old 06-27-08, 01:22 PM   #102
LiveGoat
XO

Downloads: 439

Example: Let's say I'm listening to KPO.41 and I hear a news report, when I switch to KPO.42 I hear the same news report. Is that normal? I'm guessing it might be because I'm still in 1941 and KPO.42 is for 1942?

Quote:
The download and extraction order shouldn't matter at all. You do need to install any Add-ons in the proper order. But that's all you have to worry about. What FDR speech are you hearing, when did you hear it, and on which station? I need a little more detail to figure out what you're talking about.

Copying from a disk to the HD shouldn't be a problem either. The only thing is, burning to a disk makes the files "read only," and they remain so if you copy them from the disk. But that shouldn't affect the game as it only "reads" the files anyway. It's not supposed to be editting or changing them.
LiveGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-08, 03:02 PM   #103
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveGoat
Example: Let's say I'm listening to KPO.41 and I hear a news report, when I switch to KPO.42 I hear the same news report. Is that normal? I'm guessing it might be because I'm still in 1941 and KPO.42 is for 1942?
Okay I got ya now. Yes, that's exactly what it's supposed to do. In order to limit the songs to their given year, most stations are subdivided by year. The KPO .41 only plays from December 1st, 1941, until midnight the night of December 31st, 1941. When it becomes January 1st, 1942, the .41 ends and the .42 station starts. It plays until midnight, December 31st, 1942, then the .43 station starts, etc. The reason you can hear .41 stuff on .42 is that I'm taking advantage of the SH4 radio's overlapping ability, so when you're listening on December 31st and the changeover occurs you don't have to switch channels.

BTW, this is all explained in the readme.
Old 06-27-08, 10:29 PM   #104
Lynx2069
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
First Off I'd like to say thanks for the awesome mod, I try and make my Silent Hunter experience as real as possible in omage to my late grandfather (Uss Bluegill SS-242) and even though he died a few years ago, I clearly remember him talking of how isolated and lonely a man can feel at sea, and the radio being the only source of information or communication to the outside world and having these mods just give it that extra touch of realism.

Secondly, the read me for Honolulu (KGMB I think...) says there is a glitch involving crossing the date line. Do you know if this has been fixed with the uboat add-on and if so....What would the range setting be???

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Lynx2069; 06-27-08 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-28-08, 10:04 AM   #105
fred8615
Saint of the seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx2069
Secondly, the read me for Honolulu (KGMB I think...) says there is a glitch involving crossing the date line. Do you know if this has been fixed with the uboat add-on and if so....What would the range setting be???
Thank you for the kind comments. Unfortunately the bug is still there.

Tags
music, radio, radio stations