SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-12, 04:26 PM   #976
utops
Planesman

Downloads: 202
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post
The first download link from Subsim is about 370 MB in size.

The third download link is over 570 Mb.

Both say they are RFB 2.0

Why the huge difference in file size?
Maybe first one is better compressed or different compressor was used?
utops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 05:17 PM   #977
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by utops View Post
Maybe first one is better compressed or different compressor was used?
True, the smaller one is 7z and the large file is a .rar file.

Does 7z compress this much better than .rar?

I am just looking for confirmation that the two files are identical so I can download and use the quicker download.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:11 PM   #978
Loudspeaker
Bosun

Downloads: 56

Hello,

I have been playing this mod for a while now, and I must say that I am very satisfied with it. I seem to be having a problem with game crashes, though, when I am near home ports. Usually I can fix the problem by using little time compression, untill I am far away from the port, but this doesn't always solve the problem. As in this case:

I am commanding a porpoise-class fleet boat operating from Midway late september 1942. Game crashes whenever I try to leave port and head for the open ocean, on slow and fast time compression. I am looking at map only, which is why I don't consider this to be a graphical problem. I have tried with radar turned on or off, same deal.

Here is my mod setup using Generic Mod enabler:

-----

RFB_2.0
RFB_2.0_patch_23april2010
RSRDC_RFB_V575
RSRDC_V5xx_patch1

-------

My core game is SH4 1.5 with U-Boat add on.

My operating system is Windows 7.

Can anyone help solve this problem?

P.S. I have been playing a career with a S-boat operating from Manilla-Surabaya-Perth-Brisbane till 1943 without any problems occuring at all.
Loudspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-12, 02:57 PM   #979
Soviet Creeper
Planesman

Downloads: 143

If your rig has 4gb of ram or more, try the 4gb patch for SH4. Should help with that
Old 05-24-12, 04:01 PM   #980
Loudspeaker
Bosun

Downloads: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet Creeper View Post
If your rig has 4gb of ram or more, try the 4gb patch for SH4. Should help with that
I have 6 GB. Can this patch be found here?

Edit: I found the patch. I'll give it a shot.

Edit 2: No, it didn't solve the problem, but the game seems to load quicker and runs more smoothly now, so I definately thank you anyway, soviet creeper.

Last edited by Loudspeaker; 05-24-12 at 04:14 PM.
Loudspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 07:55 AM   #981
Captain Wolf
Swabbie

Downloads: 103
Default Conning tower / Special missions

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoso99 View Post
Ok now are you ignoring me for being new and foreigner? Or am I the only one with these problems? Or are these problems known bugs that I don't know about because I didn't read some hidden readme? I read the RFB manual and I didn't find anything about my problems.

thanks
Hi I have come across the same problem with the conning tower, was a sargo and i still had the 'bathtub' tower past the date when it should have been updated. Now in december 1942 it still hasn't, though i have just been given USS Gato itself with the 'bathtub' (though i can't remember when the refit should happen i don't think i have reached it yet). One thing though is that I think this is a problem with the game rather than with RFB, due to that with stock SH4 it was happening where like you I went through the entire war having never seen a refit.

On the special missions front i have just encounted my first with Gato on my first patrol with her to pick up downed pilots in the solumon's in janurary 1943, though its worth mentioning that i am with the task force that at the moment operates out of Brisbane Australia and don't quote me on this but I think that it is only the task forces that get the special mission (even though they seem very rare) while SubPac and the like only conduct anti-shipping.

Sorry for the wall of text and for the lack of any solution just info.

Captain Wolf

Runing RFB2.0
April 2010 patch
Latest RSRDC for RFB+patch
Captain Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 08:32 AM   #982
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3228

Mate: I recommend you TMO 25, or TMO 25 with RSRDC. RFB is an "oldie"; TMO 25 is actualized...

Sorry but I don´t know about your problem.

Regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 08:37 AM   #983
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

There is an issue with refits, and it is a stock bug. Some of it, is in the upc files for the different boats, and the dates shown for the months of the year. There a long discussion about it on the TMO thread, and Ducimus changed all the months to reflect their proper length in days. As a for instance, February showed having 31 days, which is absolutely ludicrous.

The other issue, was with the point system required for upgrading. That had to be modded down, because people were going through the war with a Gato boat with a 1941 tower.

Lastly, if you can avoid it, try not to refuel and re-arm at all during your patrol. I can't remember what it does, but it was discovered (if memory serves) that refueling and re-arming caused something to discount your renown when you ended your patrol.

In my latest campaign, I can confirm this. I had a Tambor class boat and I would refuel / rearm, before entering the base at the end of the patrol, and I never was offered an upgrade for a boat, or given an upgraded tower.

So here it was, November of 43, 8 months after the Balao became available, and over a year after the Gato was available, and the time I did not refuel / re-arm, before entering the base at Perth - Fremantle I was offered a new boat. Had I kept doing the latter, I would have gone through the entire war with a 1941 style Tambor boat.

But even with the adjustment made to TMO, the upgrade issues for the boats, is still kind of buggy, but it is the best the modder could figure out.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 11:10 AM   #984
Captain Wolf
Swabbie

Downloads: 103

Copy that I will bear these comments in mind. Thanks for the replies.

Captain Wolf
Captain Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-12, 07:35 PM   #985
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314 View Post
There is an issue with refits, and it is a stock bug. Some of it, is in the upc files for the different boats, and the dates shown for the months of the year. There a long discussion about it on the TMO thread, and Ducimus changed all the months to reflect their proper length in days. As a for instance, February showed having 31 days, which is absolutely ludicrous.

The other issue, was with the point system required for upgrading. That had to be modded down, because people were going through the war with a Gato boat with a 1941 tower.

Lastly, if you can avoid it, try not to refuel and re-arm at all during your patrol. I can't remember what it does, but it was discovered (if memory serves) that refueling and re-arming caused something to discount your renown when you ended your patrol.

In my latest campaign, I can confirm this. I had a Tambor class boat and I would refuel / rearm, before entering the base at the end of the patrol, and I never was offered an upgrade for a boat, or given an upgraded tower.

So here it was, November of 43, 8 months after the Balao became available, and over a year after the Gato was available, and the time I did not refuel / re-arm, before entering the base at Perth - Fremantle I was offered a new boat. Had I kept doing the latter, I would have gone through the entire war with a 1941 style Tambor boat.

But even with the adjustment made to TMO, the upgrade issues for the boats, is still kind of buggy, but it is the best the modder could figure out.
This reminded me, that in my current career, 3rd with TMO, first with TMO+RSRD, I did get a refit to the Gato. I started with Sargo, after 3 patrols = game thinks it was 4 = I was given a Gato as usual with TMO (with changed upgrades classes to stock = much more sense), then my boat was upgraded with second CT (after 2 or 3 patrols, before the end of 1942, would need to check my patrols log), and then - beginning of 1943 - I was offered with Balao - accepted. So, the game didnt waited another 3 - 4 patrols to give me new boat = refit was a refit, new command - new command (if you get what I mean). Now, for this career, I did changed RankPatrolsUS in UPC.cfg from TMO's 4,6 to stock 4,5 - thinking that there might me a conflict when there is time (and right conditions) for a refit and new command offer the game will always choose new command except when those two dont 'happen' at the same time. Maybe its worth investigating, but maybe its RSRD that 'fixed' it, and if so, then the root of the problem might lay in Flotillas.upc file - only one changed by RSRD (other two cant have any influence on sub refits).

RFB has RankPatrolsUS set to 5, 5 ... I dont play RFB, but if people are having the same problem with RFB, and it has number of patrols between new commands offers and refits\rank advancement set this way... Someone would need to change those values to 4,6, and play the mod with it to confirm\refute the theory.
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 11:44 AM   #986
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

Ironicaly enough, I just received a conning tower fairwater upgrade for my Tambor. It's Oct. 42'. Last patrol I turned down a new Gato because I want to try to stick it out in a Tambor. As a side note, I'm sad that this Mod is slowly but surely falling by the wayside. I wish someone could take up the torch and continue work, even if for minor updates. If I had any modding skills I'd give it a try. I've played this mod since it's beginning when Beery worked on it. I'd hate to see it become an afterthought
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-12, 01:07 PM   #987
stanger
Engineer

Downloads: 84

Maybe then its more of a problem with TMO where the mods settings causes the game to wait (for something) instead of giving an upgrade; and you know its should be available, but the game dont want to give it to you. It's not like subs refitting is completely disabled (Balao still can get its '44 upgrade - cause there is nothing else available) its the time between patrols needed is all messed up - that is my theory
stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-12, 09:49 PM   #988
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish40 View Post
As a side note, I'm sad that this Mod is slowly but surely falling by the wayside. I wish someone could take up the torch and continue work, even if for minor updates. If I had any modding skills I'd give it a try. I've played this mod since it's beginning when Beery worked on it. I'd hate to see it become an afterthought
I feel the same way. For some reason, there seem to be 10 modders working on SH 3 for every one on SH 4. And God knows, there is plenty in SH 4 that needs to be fixed.
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 06:59 AM   #989
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpX View Post
I feel the same way. For some reason, there seem to be 10 modders working on SH 3 for every one on SH 4. And God knows, there is plenty in SH 4 that needs to be fixed.
Some of it has to do with a lot of folks not caring for the American sub ops in WWII. Mostly, because as the war progresses, you have diminishing target choices, and that the IJN didn't have the same kind of ASW policies as the Royal, and US Navies did, so they see the Pacific as boring in comparison to operating U Boats.

So, there are more people to do more with SH3 than SH4. Also, with SH5 coming along, many have gone over to it instead of diving into SH4. Even with the U Boat add-on for SH4, it didn't attract as many as was hoped. But there were some folks who finally got into SH4 because of the add-on eventually. And that was the only reason they picked it up.

Eventually, I will pick up SH5, but I want to wait until I can really upgrade my graphics, and get more powerful ram. I had to wait 2 years to play SH4 because my old ailing computer couldn't handle it beyond the screen looking like a slideshow if a convoy or task force showed up. And that was even on the lowest graphic settings.

I really want a nice SLI or Crossfire setup with something along the lines of a 500 series vid-card, with a gig of ram on each.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-12, 07:49 AM   #990
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

I don't know if it's totally about more folks' desire to play U Boats. TMO seems to have a greater following, and has been updated. Modders are making more mods compatable with TMO, because that's what they play. Nothing at all against TMO, but I'm just a die hard RFB fan.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote