Closed Thread

Old 06-12-20, 09:14 PM   #9571
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Quatro View Post
The war was not in vain ... we now have some of the best trained troops in the world and may even have prevented another Bin Laden from forming another attack on American soil, of which it's own citizens have now taken up bricks against.
True, but now that the troops have been told to withdraw with the Taliban still existing, I’d say that the veteran author’s frustration is understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
Diseases show up on our shores all the time. Until now they have never been deliberately used by one party to destroy the economy and institute authoritarian rule.
When was the last time a disease killed 100,000 Americans?
Old 06-12-20, 10:24 PM   #9572
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
True, but now that the troops have been told to withdraw with the Taliban still existing, I’d say that the veteran author’s frustration is understandable.

When was the last time a disease killed 100,000 Americans?

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

Government authoritarianism did not even approach what we're seeing now.
Old 06-12-20, 10:54 PM   #9573
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

Government authoritarianism did not even approach what we're seeing now.
So, in that example, the government didn’t institute proper quarantine procedures and 100,000 people died.

With COVID-19, people are ignoring proper quarantine procedure instituted by the government, and 116,000 people (0.04% of the population) have died so far, with that number probably soon rising significantly due to protests.

In New Zealand, people followed quarantine procedure instituted by the government, and only 22 people died (0.000444220090863% of the population), only 1154 got infected, the virus has been wiped out there, all the quarantine procedures have been removed, and the country has returned to pre-virus life.

Last edited by Cybermat47; 06-12-20 at 11:07 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 08:08 AM   #9574
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
So, in that example, the government didn’t institute proper quarantine procedures and 100,000 people died.

With COVID-19, people are ignoring proper quarantine procedure instituted by the government, and 116,000 people (0.04% of the population) have died so far, with that number probably soon rising significantly due to protests.

In New Zealand, people followed quarantine procedure instituted by the government, and only 22 people died (0.000444220090863% of the population), only 1154 got infected, the virus has been wiped out there, all the quarantine procedures have been removed, and the country has returned to pre-virus life.
Not comparable, The county I live in has 4 million people. (that's equal to the population of your whole country.) a better comparison would be Hawaii, there the population is 1.3 million (706 confirmed cases & 17 related deaths) and like New Zealand they are made up of Islands. During this or any pandemic, it is very advantageous to live on an Island with natural barriers that make it easier to Isolate. And that is what made the major difference why the pandemic wasn't worse. Island nations have a leg up on the large landmasses in dealing with pandemics.

So it's not so much your superior response to the pandemic as it is location, location, location.
Old 06-13-20, 09:51 AM   #9575
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Not comparable, The county I live in has 4 million people. (that's equal to the population of your whole country.) a better comparison would be Hawaii, there the population is 1.3 million (706 confirmed cases & 17 related deaths) and like New Zealand they are made up of Islands. During this or any pandemic, it is very advantageous to live on an Island with natural barriers that make it easier to Isolate. And that is what made the major difference why the pandemic wasn't worse. Island nations have a leg up on the large landmasses in dealing with pandemics.

So it's not so much your superior response to the pandemic as it is location, location, location.
That's what it's coming down to. Location.

Living in places like New York City stacked up cheek by jowl in high rise apartment buildings sharing elevators and stairwells, with millions more people streaming in and out of the city every day in fetid enclosed subway cars, buses and airliners, it's small wonder why remote and open places like New Zealand have a much smaller infection rate.

But don't expect government to sell that idea when they can use the pandemic to justify authoritarian restrictions. We Americans pride ourselves in our rights and freedoms but apparently all of that can be wiped away by a governors executive order.
Old 06-13-20, 12:10 PM   #9576
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Talk of Trump rallies starting up again, and suddenly more talk in the news of lock downs being "needed" again.
Old 06-13-20, 12:44 PM   #9577
UglyMowgli
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post

For me is more about what preparation you had, who was in charge and how you enforce the rules. My city Edmonton, we are roughly 1.3M, so far 13 deaths (8 in a long day care), 667 case.

We had a plan since 2014 for flu pandemic, no politicians were involved in the management of the crisis, the Chief Medical Officer and her team was in charge and took the decisions, not the city mayor, the Health minister or the Premier of Alberta.

We had a shutdown, we had lot of layoff , a rush on toilet paper like other countries but we are reopening (except schools and University) and we are waiting for the next wave to come and we are now well prepared for this one.
Old 06-14-20, 09:51 AM   #9578
Skybird
Soaring

I put this here, not in the Corona thread.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...hospital-bill/
Old 06-14-20, 01:50 PM   #9579
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Asking for a subscription?

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-14-20, 04:07 PM   #9580
Skybird
Soaring

?? No, not here. And I have not subscribed earlier, why would I...

You can just delete the box, you must not give your email. The X in the corner, left top.
Old 06-14-20, 04:09 PM   #9581
Skybird
Soaring

Tearing down monuments? - If so, then do it right.

Old 06-15-20, 12:27 PM   #9582
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

You my American friends(others are welcome too), what's your comment to this statement in the following link ?

Quote:
The ramp that I descended after my West Point commencement speech was very long and steep,” the president wrote, “had no handrail and, most importantly, was very slippery. The last thing I was going to do is ‘fall’ for the Fake News to have fun with. Final ten feet I ran down to level ground. Momentum!”
When you click on the link, Press then F5 or click on refresh page, then this..don't know what you call it disappear.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...est-point-ramp

For some reason it doesn't help doing those things.

Markus
Old 06-15-20, 12:53 PM   #9583
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
?? No, not here. And I have not subscribed earlier, why would I...

You can just delete the box, you must not give your email. The X in the corner, left top.
Won't let me, doesn't like my ad blocker but that'e okay, I sent them yours instead

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-15-20, 03:31 PM   #9584
skidman
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapuc View Post
Let's face it: Mr. Trump is in his seventies (and so is Mr. Biden). For a man of his age it is not unusual to experience coordination problems (because of low blood sugar levels, lack of sleep, some infection, etc.). But let's not forget that Presidents like Franklin D. Roosevelt and John F. Kennedy suffered from cronic diseases during their presidency and still delivered decent politics. In Germany our Chancellor Mrs. Merkel needs to sit in a chair when receiving guests from abroad to prevent shivering and circulatory disturbance. Politics is a hard job.

I hope Trumps's and Biden's bodily constitution will not play a major role in the election campaign, but I fear a lot of dirty laundry will be washed in public. However: When mental health comes up I know who holds all the aces.

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” (Douglas Adams)
Old 06-15-20, 06:32 PM   #9585
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Won't let me, doesn't like my ad blocker but that'e okay, I sent them yours instead
I use an adblocker as well, uBlock Origin. I used some other big and famous one until 2 or 3 years ago, but then learned that they allow to get paid for unblocking blocked componies. That was the reason why uBlock became very popular. It also does less slowing down of the browser even when using several lists.

Tags
biden, clinton, election, harris, obama, politics, trump, twitter