SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-13, 08:49 AM   #871
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298
Uploads: 0

Don't worry he's still working on it. In fact he's about to release version 2.0 though I have no clue if it will be translated into English or not.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-13, 11:21 AM   #872
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1823
Default Horses mouth.

I'll believe it when I hear it from Maddy.
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-13, 08:18 PM   #873
J0313
Grey Wolf

One more week has gone buy. Not a peep.
Old 09-18-13, 07:17 AM   #874
SR-71
Watch

Downloads: 44
Hi there!

After much time without playing SH4 I've back for trying FOTS, and I can resume my experience in two aparts:

- PROS : Nearly ALL!! I've enjoyed a lot, I like the damage system, the environment, the convoy and shipping amounts, the Ai behaviour, BUT...

- CONS : the amount of shipping and activity has ruined my game due to the time compression bug after some patrols, and also some CTD's when trying to finish the patrol, even when I manage to back to port

So, my only suggestion is to get some cheat/mod for being able of ending the patrol instantly in case that the TC bug appears, so I can continue with another patrol. I think there is not any mod/cheat like this, but if anyone knows please report

Thanks for the mod
SR-71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 10:27 AM   #875
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

What is the time compressoin bug?

I am heading back to port successful after a mission and tho i travelled out real time and it took a long long time i am using time compression on the way home...just wondered what the bug is.

Maddy does wonderful wonderful work and if 2.0 happens, that will be even more wonderful.
Old 09-18-13, 11:18 AM   #876
SR-71
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Von Gerlach View Post
What is the time compressoin bug?

I am heading back to port successful after a mission and tho i travelled out real time and it took a long long time i am using time compression on the way home...just wondered what the bug is.

Maddy does wonderful wonderful work and if 2.0 happens, that will be even more wonderful.
The "time compression bug" means that when you are advanced on a patrol and set a fast time speed (in my games was above 512), you get the game bogged, with an enormous lag and cannot speed it more, so it takes ages to reach anywhere.

That happens due to the great amount of operations that the game has to "think" when the game speeds, so lot of shipping traffic, messages, airplanes and so make the game "overloaded". I think this is not really a FOTRS bug, it's from SH4 engine, but as FOTRS adds a lot of shipping to the game (which is really fun ) it has the consequence of "overloading" the game sooner.

This issue has been commented many times on past replies (I learn about it on this forum) and I must add that apart from the lag, I have CTDs when saving the game and when finally reaching to base, and cannot load any more the campaign when saved jus before arriving to base (the savegame prior to arrive to base is corrupted )

Apart from this issue, FOTRS is absolutely perfect for me, much better than TMO (which is IMHO even worst than vanilla SH4 ) and I repeat that if somebody could do a mod/cheat that allowed to reach the base when you're finished but far from base (avoiding the enormous time to arrive without time compression) this "bug" would be solved.
Old 09-18-13, 11:56 AM   #877
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

ah ok thanks. I dont speed that much, ever. But i do get a crash when i save but so far my saves seem ok. I hope i can make it back as it was a successful mission and the crew deserves some time on shore.
Old 09-18-13, 01:22 PM   #878
Ardaeshir
Watch

Downloads: 6

Well, installed the mod and playing with it. I know some parts are from Trigger Maru, so please excuse me if I comment on something and get a "dude that's been there since XYZ". I'm a relatively new player to SH4 and I'm not all taht familiar which mod had what a ear ago

Currently I'm pleased with the mod, especially with all the new and unique merchant shipping going on. The only issues I've spotted were:

1) Is it just me, or is the Aleutian campaign pretty empty? I've been on a number of patrls around both Attu and Kiska and failed to spot anything, other than US trawlers and other minor US ships.
2) Early war Tennessee class BB does not shoot its main guns. I looked at the eqp file and spotted that it has 16 inch guns set. I edited it to 14 inch (as in reality) and now it shoots fine. So I assume its a bug in the eqp file.
3) Something is a bit off with the visibility and ID of units on the navigation map during fogy weather. There were cases of me being able to visually ID ships via the targeting periscope or binoculars (to the point of almost bumping into them), but on the navigation map they kept being listed as "unidentified".
Ardaeshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-13, 12:46 PM   #879
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardaeshir View Post
3) Something is a bit off with the visibility and ID of units on the navigation map during fogy weather. There were cases of me being able to visually ID ships via the targeting periscope or binoculars (to the point of almost bumping into them), but on the navigation map they kept being listed as "unidentified".
Yes, FOTRS includes an environmental mod and as Duci says "Any environmental mod will mess up TMO AI settings." You'll see things the game won't. The periscope won't stay locked onto a target, all kinds of bad stuff happens when the eyecandy screws up the AI.

I just call it a feature. It's just a higher difficulty setting worth the beauty of FOTRS. As far as your situation, so long as you're using auto targeting it will be very difficult to hit anything. If you were manual targeting it would hardly make any difference.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-13, 08:02 PM   #880
Ardaeshir
Watch

Downloads: 6

I had a crash that corrupted my save (game freezes when I try to lead the last save).

Anyone knows what can cause these things and if there's a way to avoid them?
Ardaeshir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-13, 03:58 PM   #881
jldjs
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
I had a crash that corrupted my save (game freezes when I try to lead the last save).

There r many opinions on why Saves get corrupted but few solutions.
I have lessoned these by using the 3G memory fix. Just search for it
on this forum. I save often so I can "backup" and go at it again.
Old 09-27-13, 09:24 PM   #882
Hetsin
Nub

Downloads: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
One more week has gone buy. Not a peep.
Incidentally, when you made this post MadMax responded to a similar concern about cancellation of FOTRS on the AOTD forums. I don't want to speak for him, but his post basically summed up to his need to find the time and 'will' to write the campaign, that he enjoys the modeling but finds the scripting tedious and the testing time consuming.

Hope I didn't commit a faux pas by translating his post from another forum. >.>
Hetsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 04:25 PM   #883
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetsin View Post
Incidentally, when you made this post MadMax responded to a similar concern about cancellation of FOTRS on the AOTD forums. I don't want to speak for him, but his post basically summed up to his need to find the time and 'will' to write the campaign, that he enjoys the modeling but finds the scripting tedious and the testing time consuming.

Hope I didn't commit a faux pas by translating his post from another forum. >.>

I wouldn't be any help with the writing or the modeling, but if Maddy needs helpers to do some testing for him I'm sure he would not find SubSim wanting for volunteers, myself included.

It would be a shame to loose all the hard work that he has done with this mod.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-13, 10:24 AM   #884
J0313
Grey Wolf

Default Dead.

5 months and no word.
Old 11-01-13, 05:17 AM   #885
SR-71
Watch

Quote:

I had too, and it's related to the "time compression bug" I mentioned above.

It has no solution, only reload a previous saved game As far as i know, it comes because the great amount of data that the game has to save, including the replay data, makes a big trouble for the engine to read/write them and gets "overloaded", and then CTD and freeze when trying to read... So the problem itself comes from the AUTOSAVE feature when you arrive to base.

Playing a lot of time, I've seen that you can avoid this issue making the patrols shorter, only accomplishing one or two objectives and returning to base, without further delay. I've done so and haven't get that bug again...

If you extend for too much time the patrols, the game will accumulate more and more traffic data, becoming more resource demanding and then will get overloaded and ralentized, and when you return to base the autosave will crash for sure

If you want to be sure of having savegames not corrupted, you can save the games without the replay, which it has the bigger piece of bytes on the savegames.

Hope these advices will help

P.S. I have not tried myself, but perhaps a solution for recovering your game could be deleting the replay file on the folder, leaving alone the other data file, like if you had saved without the replay. I'm not sure how the engine matches the save data, perhaps you can get it comparing the savegames with and without replay. It's only a idea, but maybe...