Admiral

Downloads: 54
Uploads: 0

Old 06-28-21, 01:37 AM   #8132
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

I've always like the sound of bagpipes, ever since I was a small child; there's something about the otherworldly sound, a discordance to some, but, to me an intriguing sound no other instrument comes near...

In my senior year of high school, I switched schools to one in San Francisco, where I had my records and rank in JR-ROTC transferred; I found out the ROTC unit there had a good sized drum corps which would be deployed for parades and special occasions; being a guy who liked all things loud and raucous, I asked the cadet in charge of the corps, who was of lower rank, if I could join in; he was hesitant, since, as leader he should have the highest rank in the unit; we settled it by me giving my self a 'temporary demotion' to a rank lower than his, with usually a Sargent's rank in place of my brass, whenever the corps would participate in public events; I played a large marching snare and participated in about a half dozen or so parades and other massed events with the corps; every time I see marching drummer corps, I am reminded of that experience; I am also reminded of how heavy that drum felt after marching with it for five or so miles, and how bruised my leg was from the drum bouncing off it...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 06-28-21 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 03:22 AM   #8133
tmccarthy
Admiral

Downloads: 270
Uploads: 16

Old 06-28-21, 07:49 AM   #8134
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 06-28-21, 09:45 AM   #8135
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

@Vienna I've seen and watched the first two of those videos many times. Speaking of the 'pipes this is still one of my favorite pieces of music done by the RSDG.

Old 06-29-21, 02:06 AM   #8136
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kptlt. Neuerburg View Post
@Vienna I've seen and watched the first two of those videos many times. Speaking of the 'pipes this is still one of my favorite pieces of music done by the RSDG.

I often spend some of my YT browsing time looking up bagpipe postings; the many creative uses for the instruments, in various genres, is interesting...

I very much like the McCartney clip, ever since I first saw it decades ago; I'm not a big fan of McCartney at all, not being as taken by "silly love songs" as he is; its a shame he really hasn't lived up to the hype of his fame, preferring to write and perform what can be called 'pop treacle', for the most part...

He did try to make some effort to be relevant, but it seems to fall apart as a 'not close, no cigar' sort of affair; Macca released this song back in 1972 as the debut single from his new band, Wings; reportedly, he was stung by criticism of his solo music as being light fluff by the critics; he was also miffed that his fellow ex-Beatles, Lennon and Harrison were getting a lot of praise and press for their socially relevant songs, at the time; being a descended 'son of the sod' Macca wrote his own 'biting' protest song about The Troubles in Northern Ireland...

The song was banned by the BBC, but the Beeb would have banned any song about The Troubles out of hand, so it wasn't due to any 'impact' Macca might have had; contrast his effort with Lennon's song he wrote and recorded to raise funds for the Irish Self Defense funds...

A bit more Dylan and a lot less Top of the Pops; I remember, when Macca's song came out, a US TV news reporter went into the Catholic Nationalist area of Northern Ireland to get local reaction to Macca's song; most were diplomatically non-committal about the song, but the reporter asked one older and grizzled Irishman "What do you think of McCartney's song, Give Ireland Back to the Irish?; the old guy spat back: "Give the damn song back to McCartney!"...

<O>
Old 06-29-21, 10:10 AM   #8137
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-30-21, 06:55 AM   #8138
vienna
Navy Seal

Just found this rather strange clip posted on YT today; it is taken from what was a sort of Italian avant-garde film project. Umano non Umano (Human Not Human), where the filmmaker made a sort of collage of various clips; don't know what the idea behind this clip was, but, from Jagger's apparent attitude during the song, neither did he...

<O>
Old 06-30-21, 07:46 AM   #8139
vienna
Navy Seal

I stumbled upon this clip of an all-female band, Hardly Dangerous, formed in the late 1980s that was very popular on the LA club circuit; saw them many times live and was friends with the lead singer Tomi Rae Brown (more about her later); they were an exceptionally good band and, when Madonna was launching her new Maverick Records label in the early 1990s, Hardly Dangerous was one of the first, if not the first, artists signed to the label; however, once they were signed Madonna and her partners apparently sought to change the band's image and sound to something more pop, which did not sit well with the band, and, particularly Tomi Rae; the bickering went on for some time with the outcome being HD never did record for Maverick and the dispute made the band somewhat untouchable by other labels who did want to cross swords with Madonna, who was the reigning queen of pop, at the time; its a pity they never got the shot they deserved, because as this clip, released by the band at the start of their run shows, they were a very impressive act...

...and another song...

About Tomi Rae...

...when I knew her, she was a really great person to be around; she is bright, funny, very informal, and, basically, just a nice, decent person; she has tons of talent, but she doesn't seem to be self-impressed; I don't think I ever saw her not smiling and/or having a great time living her life; she is one of the few people I knew during the Sunset Strip days of the 80s/90s of whom I have fond memories...

She also is known as being the fourth, and last wife, and widow of The Godfather of Soul, James Brown, and is the mother of his last son, James Brown Jr.; a great deal of her last two decades has been taken up in a battle with Brown's other children over James' estate, with the other kids contesting Tomi's right as a widow; the last I heard, some sort of settlement of the estate had been reached, so I hope Tomi is doing well...

<O>

Last edited by vienna; 06-30-21 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-30-21, 09:15 AM   #8140
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-30-21, 03:37 PM   #8141
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Allison Cornell

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 07-01-21, 05:45 AM   #8142
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-01-21, 07:34 AM   #8143
vienna
Navy Seal

<O>
Old 07-01-21, 01:57 PM   #8144
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 07-01-21, 03:19 PM   #8145
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I'm posting this mostly for Vienna and Rock Star, but feel free to check it out.

Direct from 1968, Lothar and the Hand People..
Closed Thread

Tags
music