Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-31-09, 04:58 PM   #61
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Quote:
I don't want to do manual targeting, the Captain did NOT do this.
Oh really?
Let me "quote" the bible of subsimming (for me), Das Boot. In one attack the Captain shoots torpedoes at a DD and misses. In the next Attack the Second Officer conducts the attack on a convoy and hits with 4 out of 4 torpedoes, sinking 3 ships. ALl the captain did was choose a surface attack and mark the 3 targets. The point is, the Captain could do it manually, but he didn't have to.
Being able to click any switch, use any dial (not by clicking on it, if you don't mind, but by dragging a knob) and sit at any station is an important aspect of SH. But having an inteligent crew that you can rely on (regardless of difficulty options) for full navigation/detection/attacks is indeed a must. As we've seen, the main aspect of SH5 is the sub's crew. My only fear is dumbing down the "hands-on" aspect of the game.
So my only wish (apart from all the rest here, ofc) for SH5 is to create immersion by first creating neccesity. I'd like it to be very hard and complex, but also automatised to the players's degree of lazyness, through an inteligent and dynamic crew. That's the point of having a crew in the first place, isn't it?
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 07:19 PM   #62
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbury View Post
I don't want to do manual targeting
Who let him in here? We don't like your types around here.
Old 08-31-09, 07:53 PM   #63
Soundman
Commodore

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Channing View Post
One thing I have always hoped for is a close to real life plotting sysytem.

First you start with No Map Contact Updates on.

Then if you are at the scope or UZO and you estimate the range at 3000m then that's what shows up on the plot. If you send the bearing as 130 degrees than that what shows up on the plot. If you estimate the AOB at starboard 30 degrees, thats what shows up on the plot. If you estimate speed at 10 kts, then that's what shows up on the plot.

If you are wrong then you are gonna miss by a mile... just like real life.

Radar plots could be accurate +/- 100m.

Dangerous Waters and Fast Attack did this and it added greatly to the realism and difficulty of the game. The always accurate GPS type maps currently in the SH series make it too easy to rack up megatonnage.
Yes indeed. Real navigation instead of GPS would add even more to realism and immersion. If we get stuck, as in Dangerous Waters, we could always have the "Show Truth" option.

RVAH-9 RA-5C Vigilante at NAS Sanford, Fl 1966
The coolest plane few have heard of!
Soundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 10:21 PM   #64
Highbury
The Old Man

Downloads: 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Who let him in here? We don't like your types around here.
Why? I don't understand doing those things, manual targeting, doing the sonar yourself.... did real Captains do that? nah.. so why would I in a game that simulates the role of Captain? The only reason to in past games was the computer was too fast and accurate to be realistic, I just want them to change that. I am sure they can change it and still leave menial tasks like targeting and cleaning the heads for those who want to do it.
Highbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 10:53 PM   #65
nattydread
Captain

Downloads: 2

Captains did line up targets and call out target data themselves...what they didnt do frequently was input the data and push the fire button.
nattydread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-09, 11:43 PM   #66
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Highbury, manual targeting would have to be one of the best parts of the game, would be rather boring if that were gone, if you haven't tried you should give the "quick 90" method a go, very easy!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 02:05 AM   #67
Badger Finn
Watch Officer

Downloads: 30

Quote:
Highbury, manual targeting would have to be one of the best parts of the game, would be rather boring if that were gone, if you haven't tried you should give the "quick 90" method a go, very easy!!
Master OLC's spinning disks and the whole deal is a few seconds including quick updates with excellent accuracy + realism imho...

As for SH5 improvements well as many have already posted dynamic historical campagn OLC's targeting approach(that stadi thing and note pad were annoying)

A radio with msg's thats got a purpose, better weather, proper ship rosters, etc etc...

Wolfpacks and SH commander type functions...the general GWX approach is a good benchmark for what a sub sim can be...
Badger Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 03:13 AM   #68
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

realistic plotting would be great, but whatever features they put in the game... my one wish is that they test those features properly before letting us have a go at it.
Old 09-01-09, 03:58 AM   #69
Mikhayl
Captain

Downloads: 64

Speaking of "who's supposed to do what" on the boat...

How about an option "AI 1st WO - on or off", could a realism option with 0 cost on "overall realism %".

If "on", you're the captain you just order "go there", "target this ship", and supervise the operations.

With the option "off", you do all the related tasks yourself, plotting your course, finding firing solutions, and so on.
Mikhayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 09:58 AM   #70
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
I'm going to throw another one out here thats bothered me for a while, DAMAGE CREIDT: the game should give you credit/renown points for damage that you inflict every time you hit something with a torp or a gun. Just to keep it simple go slight (you put a few 20mm rounds in it), Light (nothing it can't walk off) Moderate (the ship is now forced to slow down, its taking on water ect ect) Heavy (its immobilized and/or listing pretty bad) Severe (just short of sinking), its kind of a Pi$$ off when you put 2 torps into a merchie but she still manages to stumble away.
THIS THIS THIS!!!

I should be able to do a hit and run, and maybe find out later that a ship sank, rather than stick around to confirm a sinking (and to keep the ship from magically repairing itself) while DDs are bearing down on me!!

Also, food/water should be limited in some way. As long as I still had fuel, it seemed I could stay out to see for as long as I liked. While I know it might actually be possible to send a shore party onto an isolated island to hunt game, or perhaps fish off the boat, I'm not sure that actually happened very much IRL.

Furthermore, I'd like to be forced to do my own navigation, or have an officer/NCO do it for me (and the results being dependent on his skill). No more GPS!!!

I also would want officers which could do tasks like updating a map of contacts based upon information I've provided through the periscopes, that sort of thing. Having to switch back and forth is tiresome, and unrealistic!!!
Old 09-01-09, 10:12 AM   #71
FIREWALL
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 511

Why don't you guys wish for something you might actually get someday.

Like a hard-on. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I Play GWX. Silent Hunter Who ???
FIREWALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 10:40 AM   #72
Imcraez
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 0

I wanna wish for a game mode that might let you play a mission as a battleship commander. Just as an addon. I love addons
Imcraez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 11:49 AM   #73
Bosje
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREWALL View Post
Why don't you guys wish for something you might actually get someday.

Like a hard-on. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
because we can get that sorted out without a dev-team, I should imagine
Old 09-01-09, 12:35 PM   #74
TDK1044
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 25

I do think that we need to differentiate between what could feasibly be added at this stage, with only 7 months to the release of the game, and what could be modded later.

This is a great thread, but there are some ideas here that would have needed to have been included in the game build quite a while back in order to be part of the stock game.

Someone with the 'right stuff' should go through this thread and create a realistic wish list for the Devs.
TDK1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-09, 12:51 PM   #75
danurve
The Old Man

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 3

Manual control over the dive planes.
It would be cool to stop a ship in early war before you sink it. Maybe take on supplies, fuel, beer, women.