SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-05-07, 12:13 AM   #61
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjohnson36
For one in the game I won the Medal of Honor...however it is shown wrong in the rewards area, I actually am being awarded the Dist. Service Medal.....I know I have one on the wall here at my office...
is it wrong in the office screen or when you click on it in the medal box
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 12:55 AM   #62
Tigrone
Commander

Downloads: 41
If it is appropriate and requested.

"I didn't know that, but why would I want to do such a thing."

Fullmetaledges,
Per custom, retired and discharged service personel (persons not on active service) do not wear the uniform at ceremonials or memorials. For example, if I were to attend a military ball again (The last one I went to was as a guest at the Marine Corps birthday ball.) I would wear a tux with minatures on the lapel. At a military ceremonial outdoor daytime event, such as a funeral or a memorial dedication, one might wear a suit with full size medals. On Flag Day, Veterans or Memorial day, one would normally wear a minature ribbon plaque. It depends on the event and often the correct display is indicated in the invitation.

Also, it always impresses the girls, or at least they are polite enough to pretend, and it's a great conversation starter. Beau Derek spoke to me at the Special Forces 50th anniversay ball. I, of course, turned into a babbling idiot on the spot.

Now, back on topic, how can we get these stupid medals under control? I really like and appreciate the work you've done on this Fullmetaledges, it's very cool. It should not have had to be so hard, and the devs could have explained it.

And, for the last time guys, there is nothing which prohibits creating images of US medals in a historical or artistic context. The FBI has better things to do. Today I saw an anatomically correct life-size chocolate Jesus, and a full size paper mache of Barak Obama, as the Messiah, with a neon halo, yet! I mean, this is the land of free speech and fair use.

I've a broom at the mast said he, for the broom is a sign for me, that wherever I go, I sweep the mighty sea.
Tigrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 01:36 AM   #63
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

I was very surprised when I just earned my 1st Medal, the Campaign Star and it stated it was being awarded by the United States Submarine Force.

It's nice to see that they acknowledge the Country the Subs are from, but why no reference to the Branch? I am sure the reason for Fantasy Medals has something to do with them also not using United States Navy. :hmm:

I think Letterboy1 found the reason for this Medal Mayhem. Whether UBI misunderstood or not, it makes sense if the quote below as true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterboy1
Not sure if this has been posted here yet, but here is a post from Elanaiba that he made at SimHQ:

Quote:
Guys,

Thanks for pointing out the error with the Thresher. Just a small missing h. Sorry about it, it will of course be corrected in the next patch.

As for the medals, belive me we would have liked to LEAVE the correct medals in the game. But, if the US Institute of Heraldry says we can't, I suppose we can't do it. Anyway, it was not our call, and in now way it was meant as making fun of the real awards of the US Navy.

Last edited by GSpector; 04-05-07 at 02:21 AM.
GSpector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 03:00 AM   #64
Lukemb
Sailor man

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetaledges
Quote:
For one in the game I won the Medal of Honor...however it is shown wrong in the rewards area, I actually am being awarded the Dist. Service Medal.....I know I have one on the wall here at my office...
Fullmetaledges,

I forgot to ask you that before, did you mod also the medal box? because in mine there are still the wrong medals.

The medal box files are:

\Data\Textures\TLowRes\tex\badges.dds

and

\Data\Textures\TNormal\tex\badges.dds

I was just wondering maybe I messed up with the installation of Real Medals 1.01.

...and thanks again for the hard work!
Lukemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 04:52 AM   #65
Lukemb
Sailor man

An update on the medal requirements,

quoting from Elanaiba:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=110663

Outta my docs - should be about the same in the code

Purple Heart: over 40% medium damage taken by the sub

Bronze Star: 3 ships sunk in one patrol or a DD, CL or larger combatant ship not worthy of a higher award

Silver Star: 6 ships sunk in one patrol or a CVE or CA sunk

Navy Cross: 8 ships sunk in one patrol or a BB or CV

CMOH: 6 ships sunk in the same engagement (checks for 24 h timeframe) or 2 of the following BB, CV, CVE
Old 04-05-07, 06:51 AM   #66
Jace11
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 1

Hmm, well in that case, the medals are awarded somewhat unspecifically but generally in the right order, its just that people seem to 100000 tonnes a patrol then... maybe the game is just far too easy..
Jace11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 07:17 AM   #67
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Once modders start reducing the ability to sink ships I think things will start to improve. But either way I think it's essesntial that we be able to mod the medal award criteria.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 10:28 AM   #68
Tobowsi
Seaman

Quote:
not at all, good work the file that I would really like to find tho is the one that tells the game how many tons you need to sink for each medal. I changed the order because this file hasn't been found and in the original order the game seemed to hold the navy cross as the highest award. I have been having successful patrols and my crew and I seem to be getting the right awards. Mostly bronze stars for my crew.
Thanks. I'm glad there are no hard feelings. The mod is a great idea and looks good. It's a shame that it's even necessary....looks like the devs started off with the right medals in mind. They probably got caught with the whole "it's ok for non-commercial purposes" thing.

The actual game file would be great to find, even though the quote posted my Lukemb about criteria may help (if the devs didn't change it during coding). I agree the game seems to hold the Victory cross as the highest award for the crew (which fits if the crew file says "CMOH", although I get a Victory cross when the file says "Navy Cross"....very confusing and frustrating.)

Looking at page 79 of the manual and the PDF of the manual that came with the install, it appears the original order for crewmen was going to be Purple Heart, Bronze Star, Silver Star, Dist Service Medal, Navy Cross, and Medal of Honor, which fits the order of precedence.

Instead, we're shown this messed up order where apparently the medal for wounded crewmen is a submarine service medal that looks like the WWII Navy DSM, a wounded medal that resembles a Purple Heart but shows up as a Bronze Star in the code, and so on, up to a Victory cross which resembles a Navy Cross but only shows up if the code says CMOH. (and that order differing from your own) They changed the colors around on some of them, but the shapes of the medals and the scheme of the striping on the ribbons causes the new ones to resemble various real world medals from WWII.

Taking the criteria that Lukemb posted, I may make a couple of short patrols later strictly to sink only a few ships and return to port, just to see what kind of medal I'm awarded and how it shows up in the CareerTrack file.

I'll also continue to play normally and see if the medals are similar to SH3 in that you're only allowed to award certain medals after at least one crewman has a lower order medal. My OOD's always get the newest medals (hoping for a boost to all crew on their shift) and I've already got crewmen with the patrol star, so I'm curious to see if the next medal is the Medal of valor, the Campaign star, or the Victory cross.

I'll keep looking and try to help out where I can. If I find anything else out that may help, I'll let you know.

Last edited by Tobowsi; 04-05-07 at 10:50 AM.
Tobowsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 11:08 AM   #69
Lukemb
Sailor man

Tobowsi,

you can give any medal you want to your crewmen in any order.

It's not like in SH3.
Old 04-05-07, 11:57 AM   #70
fullmetaledges
Chief

Downloads: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemb
Quote:
Quote:
Fullmetaledges,

I forgot to ask you that before, did you mod also the medal box? because in mine there are still the wrong medals.

The medal box files are:

\Data\Textures\TLowRes\tex\badges.dds

and

\Data\Textures\TNormal\tex\badges.dds

I was just wondering maybe I messed up with the installation of Real Medals 1.01.

...and thanks again for the hard work!
no i didn't
fullmetaledges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 12:27 PM   #71
Lukemb
Sailor man

OK thanks.
Old 04-05-07, 02:05 PM   #72
GSpector
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 11

I hate to ask this but what program are you using to install .RAR files?

I used to be able to extract these type of files but for some reason, I think the program I used was deleted a long time ago.
Old 04-05-07, 03:02 PM   #73
Lukemb
Sailor man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSpector
I hate to ask this but what program are you using to install .RAR files?

I used to be able to extract these type of files but for some reason, I think the program I used was deleted a long time ago.
WinRAR

http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
Old 04-05-07, 05:53 PM   #74
Tigrone
Commander

Downloads: 41
7z really works well.

I was reluctant to try anything new, but once I used 7z, I loved it. It usually will open everything, and it's clean and simple.

I've a broom at the mast said he, for the broom is a sign for me, that wherever I go, I sweep the mighty sea.
Tigrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-07, 08:44 PM   #75
Tobowsi
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukemb
Tobowsi,

you can give any medal you want to your crewmen in any order.

It's not like in SH3.
I've seen that for patrol star and lower, but what about higher? Have you been able to give out any medals of valor, campaign stars, or victory crosses yet? Are you positive there are no prerequisite medals for those three?

I ask because I've been able to hand out only submarine service medals, wounded medals, and patrol stars so far, and I've had patrols will all kinds of tonnage and ships sunk. I've had from a couple dozen merchants only to a dozen warships (mostly CV's, BB's, and cruisers), and I've had patrols where I've sunk well over 200k tons. Yet I've won the higher medals for myself and haven't been able to hand out anything but the lower three to my crew.
Tobowsi is offline   Reply With Quote