SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-03-09, 02:25 PM   #46
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Downloads: 362
Uploads: 30

Okie dokie, I will work on making a JSGME compatible mod and check all the super mods for compatibility. Should have it done by later tonight.
ddrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 02:45 PM   #47
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

I'll wait for the JSGME. Hope it's up soon. Maybe you could get Ducimas to add it to 1.8

I love Nisgeis' Radar Range Mod v2.05. Nice having a working digital radar readout. I can easily get the speed with this using radar only, but the more the better.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 03:22 PM   #48
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Dicumus/Armistead

Dicumus does not accept private messages. I tried to send him an message about this mod, but it was rejected. Armistead, if you can let him know, it would be appreciated.

I just started a new campaign in TMO/RSRDC. I missed my first target for two reasons. It changed course at the last minute and I set the aspect ratio by comapring the keel of the shadow ship to the top of the target's mast rather than the top of its funnel. The shots went wide of the bow.

I nailed the second target, a freighter at 11 kts, with two shots at 1200 yds. I set the aspect ratio to its funnel.

I never read the instructions for TMO, so I suppose you set the aspect ratio off the funnel and not the mast.

This mod makes hunting and attacking a pleasure. It sounds like Mr. Nicolas has given ddrgn permission to make a combined mod for Easy AoB and Speed that can be installed via JGSME. Until it is incorporated it into a major mod, we can load it is a mod and use it. The hard work was done by Nicolas and ddrgn, and now I expect things could move quite quickly to make it an integral part of the game.

My goal is to sink a moving target at over 5,000 yds, but I need to perfect my technique a little more before I plan that attack in wartime conditions. Imagine attaxcking a task force at 5,000 yds. I think the trick will be to get the correct aspect ratio, which at that distance is almost impossible to do if the weather is not perfect and night has not fallen.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 06:59 PM   #49
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default not all problems solved

I missed several shots at a task force. The problem was that I attacked at night. It is impossible to get a good aspect ratio when it is dark unless you do so by luck. I tried several times. When I check the Attack Map to verify my firing solution, my torpedo angle was fine, but the direction of the ship was pointing to 0 degrees north rather 30 degrees, which was the direction of the target. Of course the shot missed.

You need a good aspect ratio to hit a ship regardless if you have locked its position via the speed and AoB mod adjustments. That is a law of the submarine warfare and I think we are stuck with it. My night periscope on the TMO/RSRDC mod did not save me here.
Old 07-03-09, 07:11 PM   #50
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Ok, I finished and tested the mods and sent it to the relevant people. I believe once Nicolas makes some final amendments he will release it proper and ready for JSGME.

Very nice little mod indeed....
Old 07-03-09, 07:27 PM   #51
Munchausen
Commodore

Downloads: 25
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrgn View Post
I looked at TMO and RFB dials tonight and see that both supermods should comment out the "Cmd=Set_TDC_angle_on_bow" command on Dial14 for AOB fix and "Cmd=Set_TDC_target_speed" on Dial15 for speed/torpgyro fix to get them working.
I need to disable Dial 15 too?
Munchausen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-09, 07:34 PM   #52
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

OK...

Have you got anything to work yet?

And which mod are you installing into?
Old 07-04-09, 12:44 AM   #53
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default Sheesh

I went out on 3 missions with my new Easy AOB and Speed mod.

First Mission - Battle of Midway. I hid for hours and then missed all shots because I was shooting long distance (5,000 yds) with slow torpedoes, and I had an incorrect gyro angle right because my speed dial was set for 32 kts rather than 17 kts. What a waste of time. I had identified all the targets that were on the course I was tracking, too! Grrr!

Second mission - Off Subaya - Did not encounter Jap ships. Yawn. Made to port on battery power.

Third mission - Three Fabuki dd's were on course heading towards my bow at 19 kts. My game crashed before I took a shot.

Wasted three hours. But from what I could tell the mod worked like charm, and all the dials spun. I will run the submarine tutorial and tray again. Then I am calling it a day.
Old 07-05-09, 02:23 AM   #54
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Good thing this mod isn't released yet.

I found something else.

There is a third addition to the dials mod making it so you can also see the numbers for range move while you change the range on the TBT or TGT whatever you prefer to call the dial that enters data to the TDC.

Very sweet, Ill update the files.

TGT DIAL to PK DIALS FIX will include:

AOB dial fix
SPEED dial fix
RANGE dial fix

Here is the code to do it manually (use the same directions above):

1) Add another dial to your dial#, mines 77 now:

[DIALS]
DialsNo=77

2) Comment out the command "Cmd=Set_TDC_target_range" or paste the code below in Dial13

[Dial13]
; will be changed by code
Name=Sol_Range
Type=26; DIAL_SOL_RANGE
;Cmd=Set_TDC_target_range
Dial=0x3B0E00FF
CrtVal=0x3B0E0001
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=0,330
RealVal=300,10000; meters
CmdOnDrag=Yes
RelativeDrag=Yes
Circular=Yes
Logarithmic=30
SndStep=100
SndList=1,Menu.TDC.Range,10000

3) Add this text to the bottom of the dial.cfg before.

Keep in mind my dial is Dial76 3 more additions than stock 73.

[Dial76]
; will be changed by code
Name=TorpedoSolution_Temporary_Range
Type=68; DIAL_TGT_RANGE
Cmd=Set_TDC_target_range
Dial=0x431A0001
CrtVal=0x431A0003
NewVal=0x0
DialVal=10,0
RealVal=11000,220; range
Circular=Yes
CmdOnDrag=Yes
Logarithmic=-0.98;51.0
RelativeDrag=Yes
;SndStep=5
;SndList=1,Menu.TDC.AngleOnBow,360

Why is this useful? Well for starters you can see precisely the range as you enter it in manually on the TDC. You can also get more precise with your targets range when using the RCM (digital radar readout) mod by hitman.

I just tested on a foggy map with a BB and used only radar and was able to enter the range precisely as it readout on radar.

Also when entering the range manually, unless your using some grotesquely huge resoultion its almost impossible to see those little numbers. I play at 1920x1200 so seeing the range change and entering it via this mod is very nice addition to my attack procedures.

Ill pack this all up into one nice mod. There will be versions for TMO 1.7, RFB 1.52, GFO and stock 1.5.
Old 07-05-09, 02:42 AM   #55
jmr
Commander

Downloads: 62

What's the max range you can enter? Is it 11,000 yards/meters as shown on the stadimeter range dial?

EDIT: Yup, it's 11,000 units. Great find, ddrgn!
jmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-09, 02:48 AM   #56
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post
What's the max range you can enter? Is it 11,000 yards/meters as shown on the stadimeter range dial?
Yes it is the same as the stadimeter max 11,000 metres or yards.

Working on getting this set up and uploaded to filefront. See how much I can get done before I pass out. Would like to hear peoples comments on the working mods.
Old 07-05-09, 02:49 AM   #57
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr View Post

EDIT: Yup, it's 11,000 units. Great find, ddrgn!
Sweet! ;]
Old 07-05-09, 04:13 AM   #58
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Default manual entering range

I am confused. To manually enter range on the stadimeter you line up the shadow ship with the target. This is what Hitman used to describe when he explained targeting with 100 percent realism. What are you talking about? How will the mod be different.

Range set by the sooundman can also be sent to the TDC.

Somewhere I am getting confused.

If we know the speed, range, AoB, and course of the target, do we need the aspect ratio? Won't is become superflous? Or do we need the aspect ratio to ensure our boat's position to the target will support the firing solution?

Goodnight all.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 07-05-09 at 11:27 AM.
Old 07-05-09, 05:30 AM   #59
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

Default [REL] TGT Dials to PK Fix - JSGME READY

There is already another thread discussing this mod, but as this is the fully combined JSGME compatible version, it should be presented as seperate due to the title of the original thread.

For discussion on the inner workings of this mod please refer to the original idea and post by Nicolas. Once again thank you Nicolas for the work on finding these fixes.
Original thread:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152945

THE README FILE LOCATED IN THE RAR:

TGT DIALS TO PK FIX Readme (TGT = TARGET, 07/05/2009)

Original idea and Easy AOB mod by Nicolas. Mod compilation, range and speed dial mods by DepthDragon. Credit also goes to Munchausen and Ottos for the Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix.

TGT "RANGE" DIAL FIX for RFB, TMO and 1.5 versions of this mod contain the Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix by Munchausen, original work byOttos.

This was required to have the dials drag accordingly with the range output on the PK. GFO already contains this fix so it was not added to those versions of this mod.

WHAT THESE MODS DO:

These mods will add functionality to the position keepers (PK) AOB, RANGE and SPEED dial. You can now drag the AOB, RANGE or SPEED dial on the TGT DIAL and, the AOB, RANGE and TORP GYRO angle associated with the your targets will move accordingly.

This will give you greater accuracy on the data you input.
Using the AOB fix you determine the targets course and enter the AOB on the TGT DIAL while being able to see the PK move to the targets exact heading.

Using the SPEED fix you can see the gyro angle of your torpedo and the speed changing as you set the targets speed on the TGT DIAL.

Using the RANGE fix will make it so you can also see the numbers for range and the gyro angle move while you change the range on the TGT DIAL.
In order to enter this data your PK needs to be off and then started once the data is inputted.

Please keep in mind if you install these mods you DO NOT LOSE any functionality of the game. You can continue to use your own attack methods with the additions of these tools even if you decide to use them or not.

Look at it this way. You can determine your targets speed and course from 9 km away, enter it in the TGT DIAL, and as you get close refine your solution and take shots from distance with a higher probability of hits. No realism lost, just a gain on tools available.

COMPATIBILITY:

There are 2 mod versions for each version of the game we supported.

1) TGT DIALS TO PK FIX - This is all 3 mods combined (RFB, TMO, GFO & 1.5 versions)

2) TGT AOB DIAL TO PK FIX - This is the AOB mod on its own.

If you require only the speed or range dial fix, you can refer to the original Subsim thread listed below and manually make the change to the dials.cfg as you see fit.

This mod is tested compatible with SH4 1.5 stock, GFO, TMO 1.7 and RFB 1.52.

The Manual Range and Mast Height Dial Fix by Munchausen is included in TMO and GFO changes the dials.cfg, so to make them compatible with the dial fixes we have modified the TMO and GFO dials.cfg.

When the JSGME mod alerts that the file will be overwriting the original TMO or GFO dials.cfg, it is fine to go ahead and overwrite, it will change the dials.cfg for the corresponding mod with no problems.

INSTALLATION:

1) Copy the mod you want from the zipped file into:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\MODS

2) And enable with JSGME.

MANUAL INSTALLATION:

These modifications are made to the dials.cfg found in:

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Silent Hunter 4 Wolves of the Pacific\Data\Menu\cfg

For instructions to manually alter the files without using the JSGME mods provided here, please see the thread on subsim.com, where it has been discussed:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=152945

Download Link (Subsim Link):

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=1228

Authorization to use the mods:

We give permission to use these mods for others as long as credit is given to the original authors.

Enjoy... and Good Hunting....

Last edited by ddrgn; 07-05-09 at 04:06 PM. Reason: changed download link to subsim
Old 07-05-09, 05:38 AM   #60
ddrgn
Korvettenkapitän

The range fix also drags the gyro angle on the torpedo. Kind of neat to have a fully functional target dial

Anyhow, I released the JSGME version of the mod on this page:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...99#post1129099

Enjoy all!