Voters: 1237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-10, 09:19 PM   #571
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
You do realize we are talking about a computer game here? a $50 piece of entertainment software? Probably less than you pay to fill up your car with gas every week?

Perhaps if the anti-DRM lobby would keep that in perspective, there would be less tension and heated words being hurled back and forth.
$50 is a LOT. Especially when you consider that you're getting an epic amount LESS for your $50. $30 used to get you a nice box, a HEFTY manual that actually explained things in the game, cloth maps or at least paper ones, extra features and a game you could play anywhere you wanted to.

Now, $50 rents you an incomplete bug fest. Just read that EA wants to start charging $10-$15 for "pre-release DLC", essentially big game demos, now along with their $50-$60 for a game. Which of course you'll download at that price and not get the nice box and manual and VALUE for your money.

The point isn't that $50 is a pittance for someone with multiple degrees and what not, the point is that $50 + DRM for FAR LESS than we've ever had before is increasing highway robbery and total lack of value for whatever amount of money we spend.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 09:41 PM   #572
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 541
Uploads: 224

Quote:

This is the Subsim SH5 forum. Supposedly a forum for players of SH5 to discuss issues with SH5, tips on how to play SH5, to exchange info about SH5, etc., etc.,

Instead it has been taken over by posters who 1) do not own and have never played SH5, but will freely give out their opinion about how broken and unplayable it is, and/or 2) who want to protest against the DRM scheme.

How many times must we see the same posts over and over and over again. No one here is in favour of DRM. We all want DRM to be removed. We get it!!!
I agree. Recess is over, it's time to get serious about our SH5 discussions. For 6 weeks people have had free reign to rant and beat their breasts. One would think those who have decided not to join in the game, would move on to things they are interested in. I'm getting tired of all the Bad Post Reports about "whiners" and "griefers" (their words). We will be moving fresh posts from complainers who do not have the game into a single thread.

SH5: has bugs, released too early, has online DRM, and may not see another patch. Ok, now, anyone who is finding it worth their time to play, all aboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann View Post
Don't forget, unless you have bought the game, and love it unquestioningly, then you have no opinion. By the logic displayed on here in any case.
No, you're wrong. You can buy the game and simply like it and tolerate the flaws, but if you don't have the game, and you don't intend on getting the game, and you have made your point, then what else interests you here?

And don't label people "pro-DRM", that's inaccurate. I'm pro-Silent Hunter. Pro-sub games. DRM is an annoyance. No one is pro-DRM.
Old 03-22-10, 10:21 PM   #573
Reaves
The Old Man

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Stevens View Post
I agree. Recess is over, it's time to get serious about our SH5 discussions. For 6 weeks people have had free reign to rant and beat their breasts. One would think those who have decided not to join in the game, would move on to things they are interested in. I'm getting tired of all the Bad Post Reports about "whiners" and "griefers" (their words). We will be moving fresh posts from complainers who do not have the game into a single thread.

SH5: has bugs, released too early, has online DRM, and may not see another patch. Ok, now, anyone who is finding it worth their time to play, all aboard.

No, you're wrong. You can buy the game and simply like it and tolerate the flaws, but if you don't have the game, and you don't intend on getting the game, and you have made your point, then what else interests you here?

And don't label people "pro-DRM", that's inaccurate. I'm pro-Silent Hunter. Pro-sub games. DRM is an annoyance. No one is pro-DRM.
Can you also please clean/restart the easter egg sticky. Sticky's of all things should have strict moderation.
Old 03-22-10, 10:59 PM   #574
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 257

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
$50 is a LOT.
I'm always amazed when I see comments like this.

1) 16 years ago, prices for a SNES game were around 80$ and even 90$ in some cases (at least in Canada). Inflation wise, today it would be a LOT more. That said, I would have prefer paying 80$ for a more finished game.

2) Personally (for something I expect to play for few hundred hours in few years), if 50$ was a LOT, I would think about spending time in a second job and and spending time earning money instead of spending time here and spending time playing a game, but we all have different conceptions...

Quote:
And don't label people "pro-DRM", that's inaccurate. No one is pro-DRM.
Exactly!

I would have prefer the ''good old days'' protection, but I don't really mind. I never experienced any problem with OSP so far.

----

Edit: Just to be clear, no offence was intended in this post.

Last edited by Méo; 03-22-10 at 11:18 PM.
Méo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 11:01 PM   #575
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaves View Post
Can you also please clean/restart the easter egg sticky. Sticky's of all things should have strict moderation.
True. Trying to avoid too much moderation.

And let me rephrase my comments in the form of a request, can we move on with normal discussion, people?
Old 03-22-10, 11:28 PM   #576
mookiemookie
Navy Seal

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 1

Quote:
You mean....I'll be able to actually read discussions about the actual gameplay, instead of having to wade through thread after thread of people spouting hyperbole about how much of an affront to the natural order SH5 is? Or posts telling me I'm a scab and going to hell for buying the game despite their DRM protests?

Want more U-boat Kaleun portraits for your SH3 Commander Profiles? Download the SH3 Commander Portrait Pack here.
mookiemookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-10, 11:41 PM   #577
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Lol, yeah.
Old 03-22-10, 11:50 PM   #578
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

I was annoyed at DRM when it was announced . Would i rather play without the DRM , yes . Do i like playing SH5 , yes . So i guess in the end DRM didnt affect my purchase this time .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 03:49 AM   #579
Cavell
Sailor man

Downloads: 19

Quote:
You do realize we are talking about a computer game here? a $50 piece of entertainment software? Probably less than you pay to fill up your car with gas every week?

Perhaps if the anti-DRM lobby would keep that in perspective, there would be less tension and heated words being hurled back and forth.
I fully agree, it's only a $50 game. They were only $50 games when Starforce was installing malware on people's systems via Ubisoft games in the name of copy protection. Hell, they were only $14 CDs when Sony BMG DRM was infesting computers with rootkits. In the grand scheme of things, $50 is nothing. I think consumer rights and privacy protections are pretty important, though, especially when dealing with a company that doesn't have a good track record on such issues.

But that's me.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 04:22 AM   #580
NefariousKoel
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 43

Quote:
I'm getting tired of all the Bad Post Reports about "whiners" and "griefers" (their words). We will be moving fresh posts from complainers who do not have the game into a single thread.
So...

Is this the quarantine thread for us complainers to do our thing or will there be a newly designated one?
Old 03-23-10, 04:45 AM   #581
vivieehk
Seaman

Downloads: 40

sigh~
it is a disaster for me, as i am working in China.
the network is not that fine and more important is i need to travel around all the time. It is not possible to have internet anywhere.

it is too ridicious for me to spend that much, but cannot get into the game when i want to.....

i think it maybe the last time i purchase UBI game unless they delete the DRM system
vivieehk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 05:51 AM   #582
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
I fully agree, it's only a $50 game.

good, we are all in agreement, now let's move on.
Old 03-23-10, 05:54 AM   #583
Bilge_Rat
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 344

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordmann
Don't forget, unless you have bought the game, and love it unquestioningly, then you have no opinion. By the logic displayed on here in any case.

could not have said it better myself.

Last edited by Bilge_Rat; 03-23-10 at 08:50 AM.
Bilge_Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 09:06 AM   #584
janh
Stinking drunk in Trinidad

Downloads: 0

Quote:
However, if we could agree on some house rules, say keep the DRM threads and the gameplay discussion threads separate, I am sure we would all get along just fine.
I guess for me this is not actually about a specific example, but about principle. I guess I have seen many games and trends in entertainment industry and that is what makes me worry. If there won't be another SH for me, fine, I am sure another company will provide something much better at some point in the future -- as usual. But the general outlook is a little dark: what is next?

But I agree with you that the DRM issues should remain in their own threads, and not spread intentionally. As I have said in various posts recently, the message is out now and if other customers vote with the wallet too, then all that's left is waiting for a reaction from Ubisoft. If it comes -- and that then rather be due to the much larger ACII community than SHV, but still every tiny bit can make a difference.

The sad thing is, that I come here every day to read something exciting about the game itself, something that would make it stand out from SHIII and GWX. A campaign walkrhough with features that haven't ever been seen before, but hmmmh, not yet. Or somebody finally reporting an awesome wolfpack attack, but, hmmh, not yet. But I'll keep watching, and see what the future will bring. I assume big new will make it here quickly.
Old 03-23-10, 09:14 AM   #585
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
However, if we could agree on some house rules, say keep the DRM threads and the gameplay discussion threads separate, I am sure we would all get along just fine.
House rules like not insulting people? That would be a good start. And exactly how many of the gameplay threads have been invaded? And how many of the anti-DRM threads have you joined just to attack those people?