Closed Thread

Old 11-05-16, 11:43 AM   #5626
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
True that but what other military areas will suffer financially as a consequence?
That is a good question, I think the RAF has probably been the one to take the most blows, but the army itself has lost a lot in terms of manpower, and has been transformed from a force which is meant to deploy into Europe and fight the Soviets to a rapid reaction force more akin to the deployment to the Falklands in '82. The wars in the Middle East have seen a move away from heavy armour towards IFVs and the airforce is moving from contesting airspace dominance towards policing a dominated airspace. Naturally, now that we've got all this set in motion we're going to stay out of the Middle East and return our attention to the Russian hordes.
What's that saying? Constantly fighting the last war?
Old 11-05-16, 11:45 AM   #5627
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Do you think that when Brexit does happen and the farming subsidies are cut or are stopped entirely that the farming community will swing to SNP or will they go down the tubes too quickly for it to matter? I can see the fishing communities staying Tory because they'll be hoping to get less strict quotas, but I don't think that Westminster is going to be able to change much when it comes to fishing based quotas, but they might well be able to exercise greater control of British fishing waters which will please the fishermen...if...of course, we can get the coverage to monitor and patrol it.
The simplest way to put it would be: the North East of Scotland voted SNP because Glasgow voted Labour. Now that Glasgow is voting for the SNP, the North East will start voting for someone else! It's also a former Unionist stronghold, so swinging back to the Tories is not outwith the realm of fiction.

Quote:
It's getting there, I mean, we've got two good carriers, some good destroyers and orders down for some new frigates, the Astutes are coming out on time and the Dreadnought has been confirmed. If we can keep both carriers and the F35s turn out alright then we'll have a fairly potent force, if somewhat stretched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
True that but what other military areas will suffer financially as a consequence?
The problem isn't money so much as personnel retention. The services are hemorrhaging people left, right and centre.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 11-05-16, 11:48 AM   #5628
yubba
Admiral

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 2

You do know that you are being invaded or Trojan Horsed ???? Don't you ???
Old 11-05-16, 12:03 PM   #5629
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR1 View Post
The simplest way to put it would be: the North East of Scotland voted SNP because Glasgow voted Labour. Now that Glasgow is voting for the SNP, the North East will start voting for someone else! It's also a former Unionist stronghold, so swinging back to the Tories is not outwith the realm of fiction.

The problem isn't money so much as personnel retention. The services are hemorrhaging people left, right and centre.

Mike.
Aaaah, the old "You voted for x so we're voting for y" Stubborn thy name is Scotland. Good point on retention, and I think for the airforce that will slowly become less of a problem with the increase of drone tech and warfare, but for the other branches...problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yubba View Post
You do know that you are being invaded or Trojan Horsed ???? Don't you ???
Calm down dear, have a cup of tea.
Old 11-06-16, 07:00 AM   #5630
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:

Calm down dear, have a cup of tea.
Precisely

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 11-06-16, 02:00 PM   #5631
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Icon12

Anarchy in the UK:

"Calm down dear, have a cup of tea."
"No."

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 11-06-16, 04:50 PM   #5632
AndyJWest
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I suspect the invasion may have already started. I keep seeing bright flashes outside, and hearing explosions. I probably have time to fill my thermos flask and check the emergency digestive biscuit stash, but if you don't hear from me again, let history remember that I went down fighting. Or at least, frowning deeply and muttering rude words under my breath.

Old 11-06-16, 05:06 PM   #5633
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJWest View Post
I suspect the invasion may have already started. I keep seeing bright flashes outside, and hearing explosions. I probably have time to fill my thermos flask and check the emergency digestive biscuit stash, but if you don't hear from me again, let history remember that I went down fighting. Or at least, frowning deeply and muttering rude words under my breath.
We shall fight them in the Costas, and in the Lidls, we shall defend our biscuits, we will never surrendah! Even if a judicial court tells us to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Anarchy in the UK:

"Calm down dear, have a cup of tea."
"No."

Meanwhile, I did like Newsnights ending the other day:

Old 11-07-16, 01:54 PM   #5634
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Definitely a part of Thatcher in this lady me thinks

Brexit must happen on time, Theresa May insists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37890199

Old 11-07-16, 02:58 PM   #5635
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ to me it looks like she likes to keep all to herself, and make decisions herself, and alone.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 11-07-16, 03:06 PM   #5636
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

^ Can't say either way at the moment.....I'm still trying to work out how she ticks.

Old 11-07-16, 05:25 PM   #5637
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

So Labour is voting against Article 50, hang on they have changed their minds and now voting for Article 50. Can they please make their minds up and stop pouncing around.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
Old 11-07-16, 08:58 PM   #5638
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
So Labour is voting against Article 50, hang on they have changed their minds and now voting for Article 50. Can they please make their minds up and stop pouncing around.
That'll be the day. Perhaps we can fast forward to a general election so Labour can get a hiding and then reshuffle itself back into something electable?
Old 11-08-16, 04:41 AM   #5639
MGR1
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 252

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the local authority elections next year. Judging from polling, there are early indications that Labour's electoral execution in Scotland will continue. I haven't seen any mention of what might happen in England and Wales yet, though.

If Labour does as poorly south of the border as it's expected to do north of it then "somethng" will have to give. Whether that's Corbyn or party unity remains to be seen.

Mike.
"I am the battleship Jean Bart. This name originates from a certain 'respected' privateer... Yes? You want to know what privateers are? Hmph, they are pirates that rob openly under the banner of their country."

Jean Bart from the mobile game Azur Lane.
Old 11-08-16, 10:26 AM   #5640
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEED View Post
Yeah, I saw Corbyn on tv the other night stating they would support the government and was surprosed 'Mr Hypocrisy' didn't start bleeding from his eyes.

Closed Thread

Tags
british, politics