Uploads: 0

Back to the funny farm.

Dreams

Old 03-05-20, 06:34 AM   #5327
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 03-05-20, 06:38 AM   #5328
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

The song that scared the bejesus out of Clapton when Jimi dared to ask to sit in with Cream. Clapton had been trying to figure out a trio arrangement for Killing Floor but had been unsuccessful; Jimi came along, played his version of the song and left Clapton a lifelong fan of Jimi's playing. Here is a later performance of the song with the original Experience...

Clapton would perform several of Jimi's compositions over the decades after Hendrix's death, even recording a version of Angel on his Derek & The Dominoes album. Clapton's version was a bit over the top and very produced, a habit he had fallen into around the Derek years and thereafter. Pete Townsend was particularly annoyed when Clapton recorded a newer, acoustic version of Layla; Townsend, a lifelong friend of Clapton's, called the new version terrible and said Clapton took a great, classic performance and turned into a "[bleeping] samba". I tend to agree and lament how Clapton has taken his earlier intense, driven playing style and rendered it into a sort of 'elder statesman of the blues' toned down AOR. There were brief glimmers of the old Clapton fire when Cream did their brief reunion concerts in 2005. It would be nice to see Clapton get a bit of fire in his belly and cut loose like the early days...

An example of Clapton tipping the cap to Hendrix is this recording, done for a tribute album released in 2004, where Clapton cuts loose on the song Burning of the Midnight Lamp...

Clapton contributed a cover recording of Hendrix's Stone Free for a multi-artist tribute album back in 1993. Here he is performing Hendrix's song live...

Its kind of fun watching Clapton, towards the end of the number, going back to the Marshall half-stacks and playing off the feedback ala Hendrix...

...and here's how its played live without the second guitar, backing singers, and other sidemen, and without more modern, stable equipment (no additional charge for the extra two numbers)...

Side note: Just how awesome is Mitch Mitchell as a drummer?...

<O>
Old 03-05-20, 06:44 AM   #5329
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumo30 View Post
Back to the funny farm.

Dreams

Every bad open mike night I've ever experienced...

<O>
Old 03-05-20, 06:49 AM   #5330
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-05-20, 11:15 AM   #5331
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

Default IMHO

@vienna/ #5328

Nice try by Clapton, but there's something missing(again).
I'm constantly lookin for cover songs from various artists and in many cases cover versions are (IMHO) equivalent or maybe even better than the originals. What comes to Hendrix covers, I usually don't bother listening them, cause they always feels kind of a lame compared to the originals.
Sure there's scores of talented guitarists doing good sounding Hendrix covers with modern tech, yet they still never match the originals, let alone improve anything.

Last edited by fumo30; 03-05-20 at 11:25 AM. Reason: IMHO
Old 03-05-20, 01:18 PM   #5332
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Speaking of Eric Clapton. Here is a great classic, " Dear Mr. Fantasy " and reunion with fellow Blind Faith member, the great Steve Winwood. This piece was in 2010 at the Crossroads festival.

Does it get any better?

Last edited by Commander Wallace; 03-05-20 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 04:09 PM   #5333
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 03-05-20, 07:09 PM   #5334
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Derek Trucks and Jerry Douglas - Little Martha

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

Old 03-06-20, 03:45 AM   #5335
vienna
Navy Seal

Sometimes when you go looking for one thing, you find more than you expected. I was watching an old program (very early 2000s) on TV a while back and part of the background music was this song by the Velvet Underground:

The drone guitar sound caught my attention and I remembered wanting to track down the source of the sound. I kind of figured it had to be some sort of alternate tuning, but didn't suspect it was such an unorthodox, yet simple, tuning. I found out the tuning was called "Ostrich Tuning" and it was simply tuning all the strings to the same note, in the case of Venus In Furs, Lou Reed's guitar strings are all tuned up or down to D; simple, yet intriguing. Wondering about the curious name of the tuning, I found it came from Reed's first recorded use on a single, pre-VU, of this song, written and recorded while he worked as a songwriter/studio musician for the cheap knock-off NY label, Pickwick:

There are several YT videos on Ostrich tuning and, while browsing through them, I noted, on the right hand listing of 'other videos', the name Paz Lenchatin; she is a bassist with local bands in LA and I had heard/read her name several times over the years, but never heard her playing. One of the YT videos was her playing a live version of Venus In Furs at a famed local venue, McCabe's Guitar Shop. I watched the clip and was impressed over how Lenchantin was able to create live, in real time, a rendition of the song with just a bass, violin, and tambourine run through a looper:

Now I was interested in seeing more of her work. It turns out she has recorded with several bands; this clip is her in The Entrance Band, named after the guitarist who goes by the name The Entrance; she is rather a fine bass player; also note The Entrance is playing his right-handed guitar left-handed but the guitar itself has not been restrung, meaning he is playing upside down and backwards like other lefties like Albert King and Dick Dale:

Here is Paz Lenchantin answering the question "What would be like if Hendrix had been a bass player?":

So, from wondering about a guitar tuning, I found the tuning, a Lou Reed rarity, a very talented musician, a band I hadn't head of before, and an interesting guitarist...

<O>
Old 03-06-20, 07:25 AM   #5336
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-06-20, 07:52 AM   #5337
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Old 03-06-20, 08:50 AM   #5338
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 03-06-20, 10:52 AM   #5339
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 03-06-20, 12:27 PM   #5340
fumo30
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 15

The Bishops - I take what I want

Trance Farmers - Ghoul

Last edited by fumo30; 03-06-20 at 02:54 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
music