SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-10, 05:57 AM   #5251
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCord View Post
Problem solved. Was the RB SH4 effects thingy. I also noticed now that the dense of the smokescreen was really low. Now with SH4 effects off, I can see the smokescreen far faaaaaar better over 20km

Thanks to all
Now there's a suprise....pleased your sorted

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 05:58 AM   #5252
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Hi Pants/J

Great to see your still about.

Long time no speakee...take care matey

Old 04-11-10, 03:45 PM   #5253
pbj01
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Ahoy mates. So close to the joy of GWX3... help!!!

Hello

I have followed the "Grey wolf instructions" and so far so good. But when I start the game it stops just after the red loadingbar has reached the end. When I then go out via ALT-CTRL-DEL theres a warning saying: Theres a new (not implementet) page: <page ingame Options>!

Can any one help my get back on my stell horse again? Just found the SH3 in my box of old games... hope you can help...

Yours
PBJ01
pbj01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-10, 03:59 PM   #5254
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Welcome aboard matey

Have you installed GWX3.0 on a clean/fresh install of SH3 patched to 1.4b?

Did you delete the SH3 folder in C\MyDocs first?

Did you perform a registry clean first?

It sounds like you have residual files from a previous installation.

Old 04-12-10, 11:05 AM   #5255
AlCord
Watch

Downloads: 17

A question:

Is radar available for the allies at Oct.+ 1939? It happened to me now several times that I was spotted when I am still far away (over 7km) especially by small cargos like Trawler etc. Didn't found anything about it in the manual.
Are they able to spot me visual at this distance? Didn't remember it was in vanilla SH3

If it's a feature the better.

Like the hydrophone spotting tonight by a Destroyer. Was at the end of the patrol when I saw a Tribal destroyer. Was 3 AM and decided to take this easy prey. Sneaked forward waited 30 mins in periscope depth with mashines stop and ~ 500m away BUT not in Schleichfahrt (don't know the english name ) which was my fault at this range. Just as I wanted to fire my torp, the destroyer headed in full speed towards me. Damn, full speed crush depth, was hitted several times with minor damage and flooding. I didn't got away from his badass ASDIC only after the damage was repaired while depth charts were surround me and after he was out of ammo
Well, the 30mins task was an over 3 hours exhausting task with great maneuvers. My luck there came no support. GWX:
AlCord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 11:32 AM   #5256
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Default Try Silent Running (is that what "Schleichfahrt" means?

Quote:
A question:

Is radar available for the allies at Oct.+ 1939? It happened to me now several times that I was spotted when I am still far away (over 7km) especially by small cargos like Trawler etc. Didn't found anything about it in the manual.
Are they able to spot me visual at this distance? Didn't remember it was in vanilla SH3

If it's a feature the better.

Like the hydrophone spotting tonight by a Destroyer. Was at the end of the patrol when I saw a Tribal destroyer. Was 3 AM and decided to take this easy prey. Sneaked forward waited 30 mins in periscope depth with mashines stop and ~ 500m away BUT not in Schleichfahrt (don't know the english name ) which was my fault at this range. Just as I wanted to fire my torp, the destroyer headed in full speed towards me. Damn, full speed crush depth, was hitted several times with minor damage and flooding. I didn't got away from his badass ASDIC only after the damage was repaired while depth charts were surround me and after he was out of ammo
Well, the 30mins task was an over 3 hours exhausting task with great maneuvers. My luck there came no support. GWX:
In my humble experience, there is no way you should get that close to a sub-hunter at ANY point in your campaign without setting Silent Running first. They seem to pick up just on your presence, and presumably whatever noise you are making, when not in that mode. I'm guessing that is what you meant by "Schleichfahrt" - is that literally "Don't even Fart"? Can't give you a scientific response regarding the detection range, but that early in the war it is assuredly visual, not radar. Hope that helps, and good hunting!

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 12:36 PM   #5257
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
In my humble experience, there is no way you should get that close to a sub-hunter at ANY point in your campaign without setting Silent Running first. They seem to pick up just on your presence, and presumably whatever noise you are making, when not in that mode. I'm guessing that is what you meant by "Schleichfahrt" - is that literally "Don't even Fart"? Can't give you a scientific response regarding the detection range, but that early in the war it is assuredly visual, not radar. Hope that helps, and good hunting!

your translations are quite accurate, torpedobait!

alcord, by all means go to silent running (schleichfahrt) when approaching DDs or convoys. just lone merchants will not hear you.
Old 04-12-10, 12:48 PM   #5258
AlCord
Watch

Yeah, I learned my lesson... Thought they won't discover me but the crew is still making noise...

But what's with the visual spotting / radar I mentioned? Is it possible that a Trawler can spot me at over 7km? Or do they have a radar that early (1939)?
Old 04-12-10, 01:23 PM   #5259
KL-alfman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 86

Quote:
Yeah, I learned my lesson... Thought they won't discover me but the crew is still making noise...

But what's with the visual spotting / radar I mentioned? Is it possible that a Trawler can spot me at over 7km? Or do they have a radar that early (1939)?

visual range depends on wheather conditions.
I once got spotted and shot at! from more than 10km-range.

and I don't think that radar was introduced before end of 1941 ....
(but there are wiser men than me)
Old 04-12-10, 01:32 PM   #5260
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
As a general rule, I assume that if I am close enough to see them, they are close enough to see me. Darkness and weather conditions and the low profile of my vessel may make it less likely that I'll be spotted as quickly (or at all), but can't guarantee it.

And I have come across armed trawlers that seem to function in-game primarily as warships, not merchants. IME they are definitely on the lookout for threats and will spot me more quickly than a merchant ship will.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10, 01:44 PM   #5261
AlCord
Watch

Damn, ok then wide range passing. Thanks

Edit: Erm. Anybody knows if there's a compatible bigger dial mod for gwx, perhaps only the depth dial? It really annoys me that I can't hit the right depth with the gwx dial...

Last edited by AlCord; 04-14-10 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-18-10, 06:10 AM   #5262
stimy
Watch

Downloads: 22

is there someone here who can help me with something.

after having the movie "das boot" for the 1.000.000'th time I wondered if it is possible to use a part of it in the game.

at some point in the movie there is an exercise crash dive. but I wanted to add the part when they scream 'ALAARMM' until several seconds later when I crash dive in-game.

is this possible, if so, is there someone that can make this as i'm a complete noob on modding stuff myself

regards
stimy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 07:02 AM   #5263
bigboywooly
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimy View Post

after having the movie "das boot" for the 1.000.000'th time I wondered if it is possible to use a part of it in the game.

at some point in the movie there is an exercise crash dive. but I wanted to add the part when they scream 'ALAARMM' until several seconds later when I crash dive in-game.

is this possible, if so, is there someone that can make this as i'm a complete noob on modding stuff myself

regards
If you use German voices in GWX they DO shout alaaaarm when you crash dive
Sound is from Das Boot

My mediafire page http://www.mediafire.com/?11eoq19bq9r41
bigboywooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 07:16 AM   #5264
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimy View Post

regards
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboywooly View Post
If you use German voices in GWX they DO shout alaaaarm when you crash dive
Sound is from Das Boot
Probably one of the most immersive inclusions in GWX

Old 04-18-10, 11:07 AM   #5265
irish1958
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 320
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Probably one of the most immersive inclusions in GWX
I find the use of the German voices with the English text the best I can do. I am even beginning to understand a few of the commands and find this combination the best I can do for my immersion.
Perhaps one day I will try the text files also; however, my past experiences with languages suggest that this is a lost cause.