Closed Thread

Old 05-04-16, 05:49 PM   #511
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360
Uploads: 0

Stevie Ray Vaughan-life without you-live

Stevie Ray Vaughan-Little Wing

Nice collection Vienna. I didn't know prince covered Jimi Hendrix's " Red House "
Old 05-04-16, 07:09 PM   #512
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Neither did I; I was just looking for some videos showing a greater variety and depth than most of the general population associates with Prince. There are a lot of other videos on YouTube showing just how varied his talent and his approach to music really was; and you gotta respect his choice of backing musicians - next to James Brown and Miles Davis, he was probably the most demanding of his bands and their talents. Speaking of James Brown, the fellow playing sax with Prince is none other than the legendary Maceo Parker who played in Brown's bands and, later with Parliament-Funkadelic, among others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maceo_Parker#Discography

Also, in the Crimson and Clover video, the dancer is Misty Copeland, the first African-American dancer to be named Principal Dancer in the history of THe American Ballet Theater. Her association with Prince brought her attention beyond the world of ballet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Copeland

Quote:
In March 2009, Copeland spent two days in Los Angeles filming a music video with Prince for a cover of "Crimson and Clover", the first single from his 2009 studio album Lotusflower. Prince asked her to dance along to the song in unchoreographed ballet movements. She described his instructions as "Be you, feel the music, just move", and upon request for further instruction, "Keep doing what you're doing". She also began taking acting lessons in 2009. During the New York City and New Jersey portions of Prince's Welcome 2 America tour, Copeland performed a pas de deux en pointe to his song "The Beautiful Ones", the opening number at the Izod Center and Madison Square Garden. Prince had previously invited her onstage at a concert in Nice, France. In April 2011, she performed alongside Prince on the Lopez Tonight show, dancing to "The Beautiful Ones."

<O>
Old 05-05-16, 07:02 AM   #513
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Yes - Long Distance Runaround

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Old 05-05-16, 09:24 AM   #514
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Neither did I; I was just looking for some videos showing a greater variety and depth than most of the general population associates with Prince. There are a lot of other videos on YouTube showing just how varied his talent and his approach to music really was; and you gotta respect his choice of backing musicians - next to James Brown and Miles Davis, he was probably the most demanding of his bands and their talents. Speaking of James Brown, the fellow playing sax with Prince is none other than the legendary Maceo Parker who played in Brown's bands and, later with Parliament-Funkadelic, among others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maceo_Parker#Discography

Also, in the Crimson and Clover video, the dancer is Misty Copeland, the first African-American dancer to be named Principal Dancer in the history of THe American Ballet Theater. Her association with Prince brought her attention beyond the world of ballet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misty_Copeland

<O>
I like how much history you interject into your musical introductions and links, Vienna. You mentioned Miles Davis, one of the most influential Jazz musicians in recorded history. Miles had played with a number of great musicians including Tommy Porter, Charlie Parker, Duke Jordan and Max Roach, among others.

One of my favorites that played with Miles Davis on tour was none other than Kenny G. Kenny's playing style is called smooth Jazz and is great listening if you like Jazz and want to relax . Great guy too in addition to being a great Alto, Soprano, and Tenor saxophone Player.

One of my favorites or should I say a couple.

Kenny G- Sentimental

Kenny G - Silhouette

Old 05-05-16, 04:02 PM   #515
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Yes again, this is a version of »It can happen« that i never heard before:

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Old 05-05-16, 04:30 PM   #516
vienna
Navy Seal

Hate to say it but I'm not a big fan of Kenny G or smooth jazz; we had a great, legendary FM rock station here in Los Angeles (KMET-FM) and the new management decided to change format to smooth jazz; perhaps that is the reason I have a sort of antipathy towards the genre...

I do like other forms of jazz and I am a great admirer of Miles Davis, who, by the way, was a big fan of Prince, as he was also a big admirer of Jimi Hendrix; Miles went to Jimi's funeral in Seattle, but was so overcome with grief he couldn't bring himself to leave his car and go to the gravesite; I guess he didn't want the world to see 'big, bad' Miles Davis crying. Davis described Prince as combining Jimi Hendrix, James Brown, and Charlie Chaplin. Matt Sorum, drummer of Gun & Roses, was on Steve Jones radio show and told of seeing Prince backstage at Coachella just before Prince was to perform. Sorum said Prince gathered his musicians in a circle and started to give them very detailed instructions as to changes he had made to the set list and how the songs were to be played. I wonder if Prince imposed fines for errors as Davis and Brown did on their musicians...

Regarding the history aspect, I learned a long time ago in music, as in so many other aspects of life and life skills, it is very often very beneficial to look behind where the current talent is and seek the source of the art. A good many of the truly great musicians will gladly cite their influences and give credit where credit is due; the Beatles and Stones, Clapton, Vaughn and others were/are very big on giving credit. It is very annoying when some "big star" whose talent is a bit of a rip of others influence strut about as if they and their "talent" were made of whole cloth. Sometimes, though, the fault is not entirely their own: I once saw an early film clip of Elvis at a news conference just after he broke big; at one point, a reporter asked Elvis about his musical influences and he responded by citing blues artists Arthur Crudup and Bill Broonzy; as Elvis was continuing to cite more Black artists, his manager, Tom Parker, hurriedly interrupted and shut down the press conference as Elvis looked bewildered and confused as to why Parker acted; whether the motive was to preserve the image of Elvis as an 'original artist' or whether the action was taken to disassociate Elvis with what was then still regarded as race music will never really be known...

<O>
Old 05-05-16, 08:00 PM   #517
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

It's all good Vienna. We all have our different tastes in music and Jazz isn't for everyone. I have seen Kenny G play a number of times and find his music relaxing. In addition to being a great Sax player, Kenny G is an accomplished golf player as well. My own tastes run the gamut from classical music, through straight up rock and roll from the 50's to the 90's, Jazz and blues and R&B.

Yes-Changes

Yes-owner of a lonely Heart

Bob Seger-Turn the Page

Bob Seger-Travelin' man

Old 05-06-16, 06:22 AM   #518
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Yes - Yours Is No Disgrace

Old 05-08-16, 09:37 PM   #519
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

it dont come easy

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Old 05-09-16, 03:56 PM   #520
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Wallace View Post
It's all good Vienna. We all have our different tastes in music and Jazz isn't for everyone. ...
I, also, have very broad tastes in music and am always on the lookout for the odd bit of interesting musicality, regardless of the genre. I very much like jazz, but in the manner of Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, and others of the sort. Smooth jazz just, as far as I have heard of it, somehow seems like an extension of Muzak or, as a co-worker once called it "dentist office music"; I assume it must be an acquired taste I have yet to acquire. There is, among hardcore jazz aficionados, a disdain of smooth jazz roughly equivalent to hardcore rock fans' disdain of boy bands and light pop-rock music. It may not necessarily be altogether fair, but it does exist. Overall, I cannot fault the musicianship, but I don't find it challenging; this is also something that plagues hard jazz: there are a lot of technically brilliant musicians in smooth jazz, but there is no"substance", no soul. An analog in the rock/blues realm would be a comparison of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Yngwie Malmsteen: both are/were technically brilliant, but one played with soul and emotion and the other's playing was more of an exhibition speed and technique; both have fervent fans who are seeking very different experiences...

<O>
Old 05-09-16, 06:09 PM   #521
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Okay Vienna, this is for you. Let's try Wes Montgomery. Wes is widely recognized as the father of " Octave " guitar playing in the Jazz style. Guitar players here would know that this is playing the same note, but on different strings simultaneously. There are many musicians who use this style such as George Benson and Eric Johnson and Chet Atkins used something of a variation of that called " String Skipping "

Wes and the others I mentioned are great Jazz guitar players.

Wes Montgomery-Round Midnight

Lonnie Mack-Wham ( not sure how to classify this one ) Jazz ? Blues ?

George Benson- On Broadway.

Eric Johnson- East Wes- tribute song to Wes Montgomery.
-

live on Austin City Limits.

Eric Johnson-East Wes- Studio Version

~ Enjoy ~
Old 05-09-16, 07:17 PM   #522
vienna
Navy Seal

Well familiar with all of the, although I do feel Eric Johnson missed out when he went for Guitar Hero status and seemed to lose the beginnings of true soul he had once; but, then again, I really haven't heard any of his recent product, so, perhaps, age has tempered his course...

Wes Montgomery is a very big favorite of mine; I thought it was rather criminal when the record companies, thinking they knew better, foisted off mundane horn and string backings and arrangements on his recordings. The best Montgomery was always the pure Montgomery in simple combo groups. I once read an article where a reporter/critic interviewed Wes and asked him how and why he developed his signature octave style. The reporter said Wes got a little embarrassed and said 'Well, I just started out playing that way and no one ever told me it was wrong'; I'm surprised some record company producer didn't try to "correct" Wes and I'm glad no one else ever tried; some times the best right is the best wrong...

Sadly, Lonnie Mack passed away less than three weeks ago. The list of guitarists and others Lonnie Mack influenced is very, very long, indeed. He was another case of an artist whose influence far exceeded his fame in the public mind. Truly a great musician and who else can lay claim to having the guitar "Whammy Bar" named after him and his playing style? RIP, Lonnie, go find Stevie and have a play...

<O>
Old 05-09-16, 08:33 PM   #523
Kptlt. Neuerburg
Admiral

Downloads: 54

Sabaton ~ Birds of War

Side Note: This song is about Warhammer 40K not WW1.

Sabaton ~ Talvisota

Sabaton ~ The Price of a Mile

Flogging Molly ~ The Times They Are A-Changin'

Dropkick Murphys ~ Workers Song
Old 05-10-16, 09:29 AM   #524
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

10cc - I'm Mandy Fly Me

Old 05-10-16, 02:02 PM   #525
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

man in the box

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Closed Thread

Tags
music