SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-15-13, 09:39 AM   #511
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
...what i really wont you to do is to take those compartment screens and , if possible, remove connecting lines.
no lines update ready:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p1fmz4ajff23y3r

Connecting lines removed; dots marking the position u-boat equipments still in place; alpha channels improved; compression format: DX5 with no mipmaps (Nauticalwol's textures had them but I doubt they were of any use)
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 09:46 AM   #512
plj
Captain

Downloads: 70
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
alpha channels improved; compression format: DX5 with no mipmaps (Nauticalwol's textures had them but I doubt they were of any use)
Why this part in Swahili ?? :p

And, Thanx !!
plj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 10:18 AM   #513
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
no lines update ready:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p1fmz4ajff23y3r

Connecting lines removed; dots marking the position u-boat equipments still in place; alpha channels improved; compression format: DX5 with no mipmaps (Nauticalwol's textures had them but I doubt they were of any use)
Gap, that's exactly what I wished for!

Now, this reminds me even more to my unsuccessful try to add new slots to the damage menu... But , if there is any way to do that, I would be very close to my original thought...
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-13, 11:20 AM   #514
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plj View Post
Why this part in Swahili ?? :p

And, Thanx !!
- alpha channels are greyscale or B/W layers supported by several bitmap image formats. Depending on how material properties are set in game, they can be used for transparency sorting or for adding extra lightness/glossiness to materials. The more bits per pixel assigned to an alpha channel, the more shades of grey are saved, the smoother the final result (at the expense of file size indeed);

- mipmaps are a sequence pre-caluculated copies of a texture, with different reduction ratios. Being pre-scaled, they relieve the GPU from having to do it, thus enhancing renderig speed and preventing the creation of artifacts. Mipmapped textures are especially useful as 3d models' texture maps, where distance from virtual objects will affect their visual scaling. Using the on static elements (such us UI items), would only take up memory without any significant advantage.

Quote:
Gap, that's exactly what I wished for!

Now, this reminds me even more to my unsuccessful try to add new slots to the damage menu... But , if there is any way to do that, I would be very close to my original thought...
Just one question: hadn't you added some new equipments to the damage UI already? Looking at the screenies posted in this thread I was sure about it. Were taking advantage of some menu items already set but unused in stock game?
Old 10-15-13, 11:25 AM   #515
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Were taking advantage of some menu items already set but unused in stock game?
Yes, I did not add anything, I just filled unused slots...More details here... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=208319
Old 10-15-13, 11:54 AM   #516
plj
Captain

Quote:
- alpha channels are greyscale or B/W layers supported by several bitmap image formats. Depending on how material properties are set in game, they can be used for transparency sorting or for adding extra lightness/glossiness to materials. The more bits per pixel assigned to an alpha channel, the more shades of grey are saved, the smoother the final result (at the expense of file size indeed);

- mipmaps are a sequence pre-caluculated copies of a texture, with different reduction ratios. Being pre-scaled, they relieve the GPU from having to do it, thus enhancing renderig speed and preventing the creation of artifacts. Mipmapped textures are especially useful as 3d models' texture maps, where distance from virtual objects will affect their visual scaling. Using the on static elements (such us UI items), would only take up memory without any significant advantage.
... I find it interesting how I can be a system engeneer on both windows and linux (altho that needs dusting) and able to set up complicated networks and server based environments, program a little in multiple languages, yet know so little of what people actualy do with the end result and how that works

I regularly get schooled by end-users who's problem I'm supposed to solve, knowing nothing about the application they have trouble with .. I always get it to work, but I havent got a clue wtf they are doing with it :p

Thanks for filling in this gap in my knowledge
Old 10-15-13, 11:57 AM   #517
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Yes, I did not add anything, I just filled unused slots...More details here... http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=208319
Okay I see. In other words for each room there were ten placeholders. Some of the were used, some others unused and invisible. Is this correct?
Old 10-15-13, 12:12 PM   #518
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
Okay I see. In other words for each room there were ten placeholders. Some of the were used, some others unused and invisible. Is this correct?
Correct...
Old 10-15-13, 12:12 PM   #519
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
I regularly get schooled by end-users who's problem I'm supposed to solve, knowing nothing about the application they have trouble with .. I always get it to work, but I havent got a clue wtf they are doing with it :p

Quote:
Thanks for filling in this gap in my knowledge
My own pleasure plj. Considering your skills, I am sure that in future there will be more than one occasion for you to reciprocate my little favour
Old 10-15-13, 12:18 PM   #520
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Correct...
Let's see if I still remember some maths: 10 slots x 6 compartments is equal to... hmmm...
should be 60 different damageable equipments. Aren't they enough?

P.S: have you had a look at how TheBeast added snorkels to the upgrade selection menu?
Old 10-15-13, 12:22 PM   #521
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Maybe i could rearrange menu further...
I could display damage for various antennas in radio room tab (which is almost empty,4 spare slots) and to rename "deck watch"(we don't have any "watch crew" in SH5 in the first place) tab to something like "outside equipment"...Then in this tab i could place readings for guns, prop/ruddres/planes integrity (not transmission, overall integrity). In this way I could use almost all of 60 slots which i have at disposal... Then, You can make some fancy dds images which will cower all this up and...everybody's happy!

Quote:

P.S: have you had a look at how TheBeast added snorkels to the upgrade selection menu?
I looked at everything...

Quote:
Let's see if I still remember some maths: 10 slots x 6 compartments is equal to... hmmm...
should be 60 different damageable equipments. Aren't they enough?
I could fix this problem very easy BUT...I guess most of people wouldn't like idea to see 'Port rudder integrity' slot inside radio room...Now that would be real criminal, don't You think?
Old 10-15-13, 12:33 PM   #522
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I could display damage for various antennas in radio room tab (which is almost empty,4 spare slots) and to rename "deck watch"(we don't have any "watch crew" in SH5 in the first place) tab to something like "outside equipment"...Then in this tab i could place readings for guns, prop/ruddres/planes integrity (not transmission, overall integrity). In this way I could use almost all of 60 slots which i have at disposal... Then, You can make some fancy dds images which will cower all this up and...everybody's happy!
Just tell me that You're OK with this concept and I'm throwing my self to work!
Old 10-15-13, 02:01 PM   #523
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Quote:
I could display damage for various antennas in radio room tab (which is almost empty,4 spare slots)
Ouch, this wont be so easy also...In order to do this i must completely understand connections/linking between upcge-suParts.upc-equipment.upc-upgradepacks.upc files...

Those upc are really(I mean REALLY) mind screwing stuff...
Old 10-15-13, 02:20 PM   #524
plj
Captain

Quote:
I could fix this problem very easy BUT...I guess most of people wouldn't like idea to see 'Port rudder integrity' slot inside radio room...Now that would be real criminal, don't You think?
I think a real u-boat captain would have no way of knowing if it's the port or starboard rudder that is falling apart. I dont know how flexible damage boxes are, but I'd use 50% for port and 50% for starboard, and let them kick someone off the boat to find out. (if possible)
Old 10-15-13, 02:31 PM   #525
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Quote:
Ouch, this wont be so easy also...
The idea is good. A further expansion of it would be grouping equipments based on their functionality rather than placement, as some compartments are almost empty.

I wish we could find the way to implement it

Quote:
I would be among them

Quote:
I dont know how flexible damage boxes are, but I'd use 50% for port and 50% for starboard, and let them kick someone off the boat to find out. (if possible)
Do we have any example of your idea in stock files?