Wait for UBI to remove the online DRM 761 61.52%
Not going to at all now. 137 11.08%
Voters: 1237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-10, 12:20 PM   #496
matsterman
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

All this game is is an ONLINE GAME, where you pay the fee up front, and they decide when you play, and how you play it.

I CAN SEE A UBISOFT PRESS RELEASE, 2 YEARS FROM NOW:

February 2012.

"Ubisoft Management announces that they will no longer be providing free support for the playing of Silent Hunter V. For a small monthly fee, you may continue to play Silent Hunter V on a subsidiary's network servers or YOU MAY UPGRADE TO SILENT HUNTER VII for a one-time fee of $49.95. Ubisoft regrets this decision however current economic models prohibit the further continuance of player support directly from Ubisoft. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you,
Ubisoft Management"

Imagine the small print on this baby also: "Ubisoft may scan players computer at any time, and any data collected whether by accident or intention is agreed upon and permission is hereby granted by the playing party...."

No thanks Ubisoft, NO GAME IS WORTH THIS, lolz
matsterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 04:22 PM   #497
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

Masterman, welcome aboard
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Brag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 04:39 PM   #498
Red Heat
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 267

I personaly make the mistake to buy (i didnt notest when i buy it in the store) Empire total war (stem)...and i say to myself...NO MORE!

And i have another game witch i was thinking to have...Assassins Creed 2 and i will note buit it for the same reason...

"There is three kinds of man: the living, the death,
and those who are at Sea."

Plato
Red Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 11:12 PM   #499
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 200
Default Already has not buying with DRM on boad

Already has affected m decision - not buying with DRM on board

Remove DRM and I buy

Simple as that

R
rascal101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 11:16 PM   #500
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Default To tell you the truth I didnt like Steam for the longest time -

To tell you the truth I didnt like Steam for the longest time - however with a couple of games with Steam on board its not suh a problem and certsainly not as intrusive as the DRM

So to all who read this - you'd be better off geting Empire Total War or Napoleon Total War and leaving SH5 to fester - the former have Steam the latter has DRM

To each their own

R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Heat View Post
I personaly make the mistake to buy (i didnt notest when i buy it in the store) Empire total war (stem)...and i say to myself...NO MORE!

And i have another game witch i was thinking to have...Assassins Creed 2 and i will note buit it for the same reason...
Old 02-23-10, 11:23 PM   #501
rascal101
Grey Wolf

Default Thats about it good post -

Thats about it good post - hopefully the folks on this forum who think there is nothing wrong with DRM might pause and reflect - I doubt it but one lives and one hopes

R

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsterman View Post
All this game is is an ONLINE GAME, where you pay the fee up front, and they decide when you play, and how you play it.

I CAN SEE A UBISOFT PRESS RELEASE, 2 YEARS FROM NOW:

February 2012.

"Ubisoft Management announces that they will no longer be providing free support for the playing of Silent Hunter V. For a small monthly fee, you may continue to play Silent Hunter V on a subsidiary's network servers or YOU MAY UPGRADE TO SILENT HUNTER VII for a one-time fee of $49.95. Ubisoft regrets this decision however current economic models prohibit the further continuance of player support directly from Ubisoft. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you,
Ubisoft Management"

Imagine the small print on this baby also: "Ubisoft may scan players computer at any time, and any data collected whether by accident or intention is agreed upon and permission is hereby granted by the playing party...."

No thanks Ubisoft, NO GAME IS WORTH THIS, lolz
Old 02-23-10, 11:42 PM   #502
Méo
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 257

@rascal

Pure speculation.

I could also speculate and say that in 2 years they are gonna release a patch that will remove OSP.
Méo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 11:45 PM   #503
Harry Buttle
Soundman

Downloads: 0
Default DRM is one thing, but this is absurd.

I've bought every Silent Hunter game and add on since the first one (on the Amiga IIRC), but this DRM is too intrusive.

Much as I hate to say it, I want SH V to fail commercially, I just hope that if it does, Ubisoft realise that it was their DRM that killed it.

It will be a shame if the Silent Hunter series dies here, but I will not let Ubisoft walk me on a chain.
Harry Buttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:04 AM   #504
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Méo View Post
@rascal

Pure speculation.

I could also speculate and say that in 2 years they are gonna release a patch that will remove OSP.
After a few years or so support will be dropped for the game, then the game is useless!! They are dictating to us when to stop playing the game! That is not on!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:28 AM   #505
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
After a few years or so support will be dropped for the game, then the game is useless!! They are dictating to us when to stop playing the game! That is not on!!
To be fair they have said before that should the DRM system be shut down they'd issue a patch to get out it out of the game.

Then again most of what they are saying is nonsense.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 01:14 AM   #506
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
To be fair they have said before that should the DRM system be shut down they'd issue a patch to get out it out of the game.

Then again most of what they are saying is nonsense.
When they are finished with the game so are we, wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them!!!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 01:29 AM   #507
bookworm_020
Navy Seal

Downloads: 1

IF I can't use SHV without an internet connection, I won't be getting it! No matter how good it is!
bookworm_020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 09:01 AM   #508
Von Manteuffel
Commander

Downloads: 411
Default Definitely

I do most of my game-playing on the road, via a totally beefed-up laptop. However, most of the hotels I stay in either don't have in-room internet access, or charge a hefty rate for it ( usually by the hour ). I'm not blaming the hotels. Internet access for business travellers is a saleable commodity, which most business people can claim as part of their expenses. But I won't, on principal, claim from my company for personal internet use.
So, I'm either not going to be able to play the game at all, or I'm going to have to pay extra each time I want to play it.

Sorry - It's just too much! Napoleon Total War, here I come. At least with Steam once you've registered you can ignore it.
Von Manteuffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 12:55 PM   #509
msxyz
Engineer

Downloads: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Manteuffel View Post
I do most of my game-playing on the road, via a totally beefed-up laptop. However, most of the hotels I stay in either don't have in-room internet access, or charge a hefty rate for it ( usually by the hour ). I'm not blaming the hotels. Internet access for business travellers is a saleable commodity, which most business people can claim as part of their expenses. But I won't, on principal, claim from my company for personal internet use.
So, I'm either not going to be able to play the game at all, or I'm going to have to pay extra each time I want to play it.
Well put. I'm in the same (u)boat.

But even at home, where I've an unlimited fiber connection I don't like the idea of being constantly tethered to the internet. Playing mostly single player CRPGs, my gaming rig is connected to the internet only in times of need (downloading a patch, authenticating, etc) while I use other PCs for mundane tasks (chats, surfing, d'loading demos, etc...)
Old 02-24-10, 07:37 PM   #510
Steeltrap
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Manteuffel View Post
Sorry - It's just too much! Napoleon Total War, here I come. At least with Steam once you've registered you can ignore it.
Yes, but NTW will have the same inexcusable faults as found in ETW. For that reason I'm not buying it, either.

I'm tired of giving my money to companies releasing second rate, error-riddled products.
Steeltrap is offline   Reply With Quote