Uploads: 0

i'm just not gonna buy it at launch if it ain't finish
Old 02-21-10, 06:18 PM   #484
Fantasm
Watch

Downloads: 41
Default Pirate Cred

This will probably become one of the MOST pirated games out there....
All this complaining about the DRM is moving SH5 into the Pirate's attack scope....
Every pirate out there will be trying to crack and distribute this game... They get their online "cred" for beating a new protection scheme... and distributing it as widely as possible... What may have had little interest to most pirates because of it's niche market will now become the proverbial red flag to a bull to them, they thrive on challenges like this....
The pirates will have this beaten in hours... To them, failure is not an option....
Fantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 06:26 PM   #485
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Probably true, but irrelevant to me. I don't play pirated games either. The ones being hurt the most are the ones who want to buy the game and play it.

Offline.
Old 02-21-10, 06:34 PM   #486
soldat32
Watch

Downloads: 11

They totally ripped out the ability to play a career the entire length of the war and instead have given customers the ability to roam the sub on foot.I say big deal!THat's going to be a purchase killer for a lot of fans of this genre as well as only 1 sub option.What the heck were they thinking?Do they think customers will pay for each new sub added later or something?Other then graphics there is really nothing to see here that's spectacular.I laugh at this excuse put forth that the reason they only modeled 1 sub was to dedicate their time to a more accurate simulation.That's complete hogwash.Every SH title prior to this modeled several subs and did it pretty well.Really they are down playing the truth here and that truth is that the development team was rushed and/or just plain lazy as was the case in SH3 and 4.This time around though its much worse and aside from a severe lack of playability they shove a very nasty DRM upon their customers.

I hope UBI learns an important lesson here.Do not ignore or piss down your customers backs and tell them its raining.
soldat32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 06:49 PM   #487
Seafireliv
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldat32 View Post

I hope UBI learns an important lesson here.Do not ignore or piss down your customers backs and tell them its raining.
That`s exactly what they`re trying to do.
Seafireliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 02:55 AM   #488
Snakeeyes
Captain

Location: trailing 1400 yards behind an Oscar-II with my outer doors open
Downloads: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letum View Post
This will be the second time I have forfeited a game I am passionate
about because the DRM system won't let me own the game after I have
paid for it.

It breaks my heart.
I second.

I've just surfaced after being out of radio contact for about 6 months now. I was excited when I heard about SH5 but can't believe what they are doing.

Well... if the Bears can choose to keep Lovie Smith in charge ANY management FUBAR is possible in the world.

Sorry Ubisoft... no DRM no cash from my wallet. I think Ubisoft will fold eventually on this when they don't profit.
Old 02-22-10, 04:13 AM   #489
OakGroove
中国水兵

Downloads: 10

Just read an article on google`s and facebooks business models

http://www.newsweek.com/id/233773

Excerpt:

Quote:
The problem with buying things with your privacy is you really don't know how much you're paying. With money, five bucks is five bucks. But what is the value of your list of friends? If it's not worth much, your membership on Facebook may be the deal of a lifetime. If it's incredibly valuable, you're getting massively ripped off. Only the techies know how much your info is worth, and they're not telling. But the fact that they'd rather get your data than your dollars tells you all you need to know.
Wish more people would take a minute to think about how far reaching their buying decision on any Uplay injected title could be. If there was a general acceptance towards this kind of implementation, future escalation of the software is just an account away. Most DRM debates are centric on "Pirates" and companies loosing revenue because of. Piracy has always been there, for decades. Entertainment companies must have this position in their calculus, fully knowing that available DRM technology will protect their products only temporarily - and they openly admit it.
OakGroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 05:23 AM   #490
Reece
CINC Pacific Fleet

Downloads: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
Probably true, but irrelevant to me. I don't play pirated games either. The ones being hurt the most are the ones who want to buy the game and play it.

Offline.
Same here, I'm just hoping for a NoDRM patch so I can install the legal purchased version then apply the patch!

Sub captains go down with their ship!
Reece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 06:10 AM   #491
Brag
Navy Seal

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeeyes View Post
I second.

I've just surfaced after being out of radio contact for about 6 months now. I was excited when I heard about SH5 but can't believe what they are doing.

Well... if the Bears can choose to keep Lovie Smith in charge ANY management FUBAR is possible in the world.

Sorry Ubisoft... no DRM no cash from my wallet. I think Ubisoft will fold eventually on this when they don't profit.

If Ubisoft management is not reading this forum, they are ignorant idiots. If they don't stop pissing nearly everyone off, they deserve to go broke. SHV, Settlers and Assassins Creed II represent a lot of money to be lost.

If they don't get rid of DRM/OSP/Youplay we're going to see a spectacular train wreck.
Order Kingmaker here: http://www.subsim.com/store.html
For Tactics visit:http://www.freewebs.com/kielman/
Brag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 06:17 AM   #492
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Default Consumers Unite!

When I buy a game I expect to play it, without strings attached or any buts. I won't buy this game now or any that use Steam or any other 'must' do or 'must' connect rules.

I seriously doubt that Ubisoft has lost so much to piracy that it warrants handcuffing the public.
raymond6751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 06:49 AM   #493
Seafireliv
Gunner

Downloads: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakGroove View Post
Just read an article on google`s and facebooks business models

http://www.newsweek.com/id/233773

Excerpt:

Wish more people would take a minute to think about how far reaching their buying decision on any Uplay injected title could be. If there was a general acceptance towards this kind of implementation, future escalation of the software is just an account away. Most DRM debates are centric on "Pirates" and companies loosing revenue because of. Piracy has always been there, for decades. Entertainment companies must have this position in their calculus, fully knowing that available DRM technology will protect their products only temporarily - and they openly admit it.

I truly believe as well that this goes much further than just pirates or even just greed on UBI`s part.

If this kind of DRM becomes accepted, expect to see every single game and program start using it. Expect then, that every single time you start your PC they`ll be a rule that they know about it. expect then that you`ll be expected to pay a monthly fee to play.

Even expect that eventually, you`ll be required to supply your name and address and age and whatever else (WITH PROOF) before you can play the game you bought before you can install and when you do play to be paying monthly extra for the privelege.

OK, i`m going a bit extreme here, but neither did i expect to see SH5 plus EVERY UBI game going 24\7 until a month ago.

We can`t just accept this. UBI must change or go bankrupt as a lesson to other companies thinking of doing the same.

Do not buy. Please.
Seafireliv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 08:54 AM   #494
Iron Budokan
Sea Lord

Downloads: 32

I have no intention of buying this game given the current circumstances surrounding it. All you have to do is read other gaming forums as well to see how this new policy is being received. This is not going over well at all, even with casual gamers.

I smell death in the air for this game. Maybe it's deserved, given how it's being presented and given how Ubi is now treating customers like criminals.

http://kennethmarkhoover.com
Iron Budokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-10, 08:58 AM   #495
Snakeeyes
Captain

Location: trailing 1400 yards behind an Oscar-II with my outer doors open
Downloads: 54

This totally reminds me of Thrustmaster Inc. in the late 80s and early 90s.

Small company who made quality joysticks and throttles for simmers and the real Air Force in a tiny town in Oregon.

You could call these people up with techincal problems, repairs you name it and get someone on the phone who would remember your name. They had the best customer service and responded super fast. They always put customers first and knew that without us they were nothing - (Harrison Ford in K-19).

Well, they were bought by... guess who... Ubisoft. Instantly they canned everyone and there was zero customer service. The quality of the sticks went to hell. They promised more features in their new merchandise but got shoddy assemblage. As a hard core simmer I take my hardware very seriously... like an F-16 pilot checking the weapons pylons personally before a mission. But when the hardware went to Shiznit I didn't appreciate it. "THAT'S WHAT I HAVE TO FIGHT BEFORE I CAN FIGHT A WAR!" Also a K-19 quote.

I didn't need the headache so I dumped them and they lost my business. Now its 2010 and it looks like I'm going to be dumping the same company again, this time for software. What a shame.