SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-12, 10:05 AM   #451
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
@thebeast: how should a toggle swith look for that and where should we place it..once you had an idea for that...

Best Regards

DrJones
Sorry for delayed response. I have been very busy lately and have not had any free time.

I was thinking of a 3 position Toggle Switch for Torpedo Tube Flood/Purge, Open/Close. One 3 position Toggle per Torpedo Tube.
This would reduce panel size requirement and viewable area clutter.

IMO, Suggested colors for indicator lights should actually be reversed.

Ever since Electric Tech and Explosive Tech converged, it has been pretty much a international standard that Green = Safe, Red = Armed/Ready to Fire and Yellow = Active Process or Malfunction. Some times Blue = Active Process.
Active Process = transition from safe to armed/armed to safe or loading.

(I've never been inside a U-Boat and I can not determine actual colors from B/W photo's. Also, unless Torpedo system is active, it is hard to determine color of indicators if lamps are not illuminated.
The sad thing is, growing up there were 2 Type-7 Uboats not 15 miles away from where lived and I was never able to go see them and every time we were driving south on Interstate 5 passing these boats, I remember asking to go see them. Just a stones throw away from Seattle's Space Needle.)

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 10:11 AM   #452
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 341
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeast View Post
Sorry for delayed response. I have been very busy lately and have not had any free time.

I was thinking of a 3 position Toggle Switch for Torpedo Tube Flood/Purge, Open/Close. One 3 position Toggle per Torpedo Tube.

Ever since Electric Tech and Explosive Tech converged, it has been pretty much a international standard that Green = Safe, Red = Armed/Ready to Fire and Yellow = Active Process or Malfunction. Some times Blue = Active Process.

(I've never been inside a U-Boat and I can not determine actual colors from B/W photo's. Also, unless Torpedo system is active, it is hard to determine color of indicators if lamps are not illuminated.
The sad thing is, growing up there were 2 Type-7 Uboats not 15 miles away from where lived and I was never able to go see them and every time we were driving south on Interstate 5 passing these boats, I remember asking to go see them. Just a stones throw away from Seattle's Space Needle.)
Hey Mate,

i dont mind. Happy to hear from you. Yes a 3 position toggle is a good idea.
I may use the background from Naigths and make it a little bit smaller for the toggles and make them as additional panel wich can slide out.

Regards

DrJones
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 11:43 AM   #453
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Downloads: 618

Quote:
When I was serving on a Swedish sub I also had the opportunity to get aboard older ones in dry-dock.
What I now can remember is that they were just white lights.
As I then didn't ask about it I really don't know and I never saw them lit but maybe they could change colors for the various steps.
The panels were quite different.

Maybe I could get in contact with some older members of the veteran association of the Marine and ask if they know.
Maybe they even have some knowledge about German subs.
Silent Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-12, 12:10 PM   #454
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Think i schould visit Kiel Laboe next time to visit the VIIc and watch out for some details...
Old 09-15-12, 12:13 PM   #455
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Quote:
Think i schould visit Kiel Laboe next time to visit the VIIc and watch out for some details...
Old 09-15-12, 01:52 PM   #456
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Steel View Post
When I was serving on a Swedish sub I also had the opportunity to get aboard older ones in dry-dock.
What I now can remember is that they were just white lights.
As I then didn't ask about it I really don't know and I never saw them lit but maybe they could change colors for the various steps.
The panels were quite different.
Quote:
Remember that in Dry Dock the boat can not carry any Ordinance. Color may vary from Empty Tube campared to Loaded Tube.
Maybe I could get in contact with some older members of the veteran association of the Marine and ask if they know.
Maybe they even have some knowledge about German subs.
Quote:
That would be outstanding.
Quote:

Wish I could. As I said before, I have always wanted to enter a U-boat.
I have been inside many Balao and Gato class submarines. Back in the 60's and early 70's I use to row my rubber raft out and fish for Salamon and Steelhead from them at Bremerton Washington Naval Shipyard. Most of the time I would get chased away but some times I would get a tour.
At one time there was like 20+ WWII Submarines there but they were either used for targets, Crush Depth tests or sold to other countries. A few were sent to Mothball fleet in San Mateo California.

Old 09-17-12, 11:33 AM   #457
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Just found out some error.

if you try to flood the tube 5 in single short mode, it does not work.

just fixed it...
Old 09-17-12, 11:48 AM   #458
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Of course I don't mind, why should I?
Modding shouldn't be any competition, just cooperation to find the best possible solution.
Quote:
<----- that is the most important thing here no one is able to get this all working without the help of all the members here...we don't work on own...we work for every one here to make sh5 better....i won't make this one if it is not like it is.....
This is the spirit we all like
I just wanted to make sure not to step on SSteel's feet, since he had alredy done an excellent work on that panel, and I just elaborated some of his ideas, merging them into my previous creation. You know... sometimes a bit of care for other's work costs less and is much more fruitful than just ignoring it
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-12, 12:31 PM   #459
Silent Steel
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
This is the spirit we all like
I just wanted to make sure not to step on SSteel's feet, since he had alredy done an excellent work on that panel, and I just elaborated some of his ideas, merging them into my previous creation. You know... sometimes a bit of care for other's work costs less and is much more fruitful than just ignoring it
Old 09-17-12, 01:09 PM   #460
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Default New Eye Candy

Hey Mates,

just got it working this wonderful Markinglines...

They just always fit to the generated hardcoded Markinglines and the patch for the Resolution from makman.

That means these Markingline almost fit to every resolution. Maybe a marking line is sometime "One Pixel" away but i think that is just a result of the streching of the image with the markinglines.

In the Future the Markinglines will have another color. Grey/black by Daylight and Green when redlight it switched on...hope it is also your decision.

By the Way the XO Face is now dragable. We will just need that little guy until we have a solution for the recognition manual.

Best Regards

DrJones
Old 09-17-12, 01:27 PM   #461
gap
Navy Seal

New torpedo lights panel with several new light color options:

Quote:
I like your T-Lampentafel very much, looks photo realistic. But, the numbers need to be straightened.
Yes, they look a bit distorted. I can straighten them, but I think that having to give the impression of being painted on a curved surface, they could be let as they are. What do you guys think?

Quote:
As for colors and blinking lights I think this is something to discuss but your idea is very interesting.
Do you think It can be found out somewhere what it actually looked like in real life? Could it be there was just one light - white or something?
Or is this discussion on various colors just something we need to apply just make it working in SH 5?
Quote:

My proposal for lights color was just based on common sense and on the need to get information on tube state in a compact UI, but TheBeast's argumentations on lights usage seems more convincing than my ones.

Quote:
Very Cool thing...now the question is...where to place this....that's also mean, that we can banish the tubesselection in the top of the masks for uzo, attack scope and obs scope....

that cleans up the screen much more and lets the user decide what he will have in the screen as an slide in Element
Good idea!

Quote:
The Questions is now that we need an additional panel to give the orders to flood and to topen the tubes....

althoug we can use the actual one i build up for that...
Quote:
Quote:
Yes a 3 position toggle is a good idea.
I may use the background from Naigths and make it a little bit smaller for the toggles and make them as additional panel wich can slide out.
If someone provides me with a good picture of a 3 position toggle, like the one suggeste by TheBeast, I can try to create a torpedo switches panel that matches in colors and style the T-lampentafel.
Old 09-17-12, 01:29 PM   #462
gap
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hey Mates,

just got it working this wonderful Markinglines...

They just always fit to the generated hardcoded Markinglines and the patch for the Resolution from makman.

That means these Markingline almost fit to every resolution. Maybe a marking line is sometime "One Pixel" away but i think that is just a result of the streching of the image with the markinglines.

In the Future the Markinglines will have another color. Grey/black by Daylight and Green when redlight it switched on...hope it is also your decision.

By the Way the XO Face is now dragable. We will just need that little guy until we have a solution for the recognition manual.

Best Regards

DrJones
Old 09-17-12, 01:33 PM   #463
DrJones
Samurai Navy

@gap

That is really a fantastic good work you did here....it is difficult for me to find the right words...just let me say "THANK YOU"

Ok when there is a toggle switch for it i will implement this one

Best Regards

DrJones
Old 09-17-12, 01:48 PM   #464
TheBeast
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
If someone provides me with a good picture of a 3 position toggle, like the one suggeste by TheBeast, I can try to create a torpedo switches panel that matches in colors and style the T-lampentafel.
Here is quick mock-up for 3 position toggle switch.

Old 09-17-12, 01:54 PM   #465
DrJones
Samurai Navy

Quote:
Here is quick mock-up for 3 position toggle switch.
ok that's looking good...that can be realized with the materials i have...

what do you think @gap,@silent steel, aso???