Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-12-10, 07:26 AM   #406
punisher2010
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The only effective means of anti-piracy I have seen is making the game multi-player base and/or a steam game. I am sure there are ways it can be done but I have never heard of download-able cracked version of an online game that actually could be plays as though it were a legal version. Things like product keys and accounts generally mean to crack it you have to steal from someone else, and unless you stumble on an unused key or hack an unused account you eventually get found out when the buyer tried to long on.
1) Steam versions of games have been cracked.
2) MMO's have been cracked and have pirate servers for them. WoW and SWG are 2 I know of.
3) Serial numbers have random number generators available. Yes, eventually you might duplicate a number, but I think the odds on that are pretty high.
4) Regular MP games have been cracked where you just play on a pirate server.

As someone mentioned, the only way to prevent piracy is to not make games.... This DRM does make it harder especially if they actually did leave portions of the code out of the game....
Also, the consoles have been cracked as well...It IS harder for the average person to use it, but it is possible. The moment that PC games go away, I guarantee you that the console cracker will work on making it easier.....
Ultimately, there is no such thing as total security.....
punisher2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-10, 07:33 AM   #407
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

My personal belief is that the only thing that can save a game from being pirated is if it's a crappy game that no-one cares about. If there's enough demand, and a will to crack it.. it will be cracked.

Any other game.. there will always be people who buy, some people who "try before buy", and others who will never buy even if they have the money. Pissing off the buyers to thwart the guy who will never buy it anyway is just kind of idiotic. You aren't "saving" sales with that practice. There was never a sale there to begin with. Just like the idiots in the white house aren't "saving" any jobs. Its all jive talk.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote