SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-05-17, 12:18 PM   #3736
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 781
Uploads: 35
radar

Great Job as far as the Time Compression I'm Fine with it the Admirals know more than me and they expect me to go out there and come back with a broomstick on my conning tower which will happen I assure you of that.

Lt Commander lare
Old 02-05-17, 12:18 PM   #3737
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait View Post
CapnScurvy, with all respect, why is it necessary for the mod to cut back the max TC? As long as I have applied LAA, my rig seems quite capable of not only handling 8092, but also dropping out appropriately when events occur, including aircraft sightings, etc. If I choose to increase TC via the Plus (+) key and it screws up my mission, that is on me, not on the modder. If I have a vote, I'd like to see the TC selection left strictly up to the player. Thanks for your consideration (and hard work).
Hey, we'll have a plugin (with lots of cautionary language in the readme file) to allow players to go to at least 8096x.

Yes, players like you and Gutted are qualified and take responsibility for malfunctions. But John Q Player just blames the modder. So we err on the side of reliability and give the power users the options to make changes on their own responsibility, which is what they would do anyway.

It's very hard to please experienced players and modders and the new player at the same time. But it is one of our prime directives.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 12:25 PM   #3738
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt commander lare View Post
Great Job as far as the Time Compression I'm Fine with it the Admirals know more than me and they expect me to go out there and come back with a broomstick on my conning tower which will happen I assure you of that.

Lt Commander lare
Nowdays we come back with a Roomba on the conning tower. Somehow it's just not the same.....
Old 02-05-17, 12:34 PM   #3739
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
Thanks! I hadn't realized Unity had gone from a steaming pile to looking good.

What are you using to run Windows programs? Wine or a virtual machine? I've never had good luck getting either option to work well with any Linux distro with a decent GUI, so i have a separate Win7 box just for gaming.

In any case, I've been watching progress on FotRSU and it in champing at the bit...
This afternoon we're releasing v0.53 as public beta in the Subsim download section.

I'm using WINE 2.01 to run SH4UBM. For Kerbal Space Program, Borderlands2, Counterstrike GO and others I run the Steam native Linux versions. The list of Steam games for Linux is growing and growing. They play just as well as they do under Windows. I can join up with Windows players in Borderlands2 and they don't have a clue I'm running Linux.

All my work on FOTRSU since last May has been done in Ubuntu Linux. It's been bulletproof and I deal with the Evil Empire as little as I can.
Old 02-05-17, 01:23 PM   #3740
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 0

I'd still like to read an explanation regarding the max time compression. What is so dangerous? What problems may arise by going higher than 2048x?
Old 02-05-17, 03:30 PM   #3741
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by granite00 View Post
I'd still like to read an explanation regarding the max time compression. What is so dangerous? What problems may arise by going higher than 2048x?
Dropping out of anything over 2048 Time Compression can cause you to end up right in the middle of a convoy/task force due to the speed of travel your sub is traveling, compared to the "detection lag" that the drop produces when taking you back to normal time. The same lag occurs when the game detects you're about to strike an object/land, yet by the time you're back to normal time....you've hit it, creating damage. With the game modded like FOTRS Ultimate, there's going to be even larger lags in time decompression due to the shear volume of 3D objects involved...needing to be rendered. The lowering of the TC limit is to lesson this lags decompression's unwanted results.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 03:33 PM   #3742
granite00
Torpedoman

Downloads: 170

Thanks Capn,
That's very helpful.
Old 02-05-17, 03:43 PM   #3743
gutted
The Old Man

Downloads: 470
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
It's very hard to please experienced players and modders and the new player at the same time. But it is one of our prime directives.
Be ready for the people who don't RTFM and run to the forums wondering why they can't get TC above 2048.

Solution Solver 2.3.2 - Visual Targeting Tools & Aids
gutted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 04:05 PM   #3744
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 437
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
Dropping out of anything over 2048 Time Compression can cause you to end up right in the middle of a convoy/task force due to the speed of travel your sub is traveling, compared to the "detection lag" that the drop produces when taking you back to normal time. The same lag occurs when the game detects you're about to strike an object/land, yet by the time you're back to normal time....you've hit it, creating damage. With the game modded like FOTRS Ultimate, there's going to be even larger lags in time decompression due to the shear volume of 3D objects involved...needing to be rendered. The lowering of the TC limit is to lesson this lags decompression's unwanted results.
-----------------------------------------
THAT is an excellent explanation of TC. Kudos to Scurvy!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 04:18 PM   #3745
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0313 View Post
I've been tinkering with FOTRSU off and on for a few weeks no and there are a few things I have noticed that haven't been brought up yet.

1. Can a full crew be added for the deck gun's like in TMO. 7 men versus just the 2 men. It is realistic and it just plain looks cool.

2. Has anyone ever noticed that sometimes when you go to the hydro view and then come out to the bridge view the engines sound like a jack hammer going full tilt. and the only way to stop it is buy ordering a speed change. It also happens sometimes when your at 256 or higher TC and go to pause.

3. And I have also noticed that sometimes when it says heavy fog and overcast but no precipitation you are still seeing the rain.

4. Can new campaign basses be added getting closer to the action as the war progresses? Mios Woendi, Guam, Sarabaya or the one up in Northern Australia ( I can't remember the name just now ).

Still the best SH4 mod out there for the US campaign.
Capn got you on #1, as for #2, that's one of the problems with the audio engine that we've been trying to track down. You can also run into a situation where when you go outside on external camera, and go away from your boat, when you come back to the interior, you've brought the sound of the great outdoors in with you, and now you can barely hear the crew speak for the sound of the wind and wave splashing noises. Time Compression looms large in these. If we could find the circumstances that set those off, we'd be on the way to a "cure"... As for #3, notice that your crew oftentimes when you have that will NOT be in their slickers... and #4, yes forward bases do open as the war progresses. There are even a few Sub Tenders used off and on in different areas.

One of the things with the Time Compression, is just do a little math. If your boat is moving at 9 knots (roughly 10 mph or 16kph), you are traveling about 15 foot a second. Times that by sixty seconds in a minute, you've gone 900 foot. Times that by sixty minutes, and you've gone about 54000 feet per hour of time. Time Compression, one second is 8096 seconds at full-bore. You would travel 121,440 foot in that one second time frame. Twenty-three statute miles, or almost 20 nautical miles. That's beyond the horizon in the game... Granted, in theory, the game engine drops you out of TC in much less than a second, but if you're on Windows, and it decides to do a background Update Check... jussayin'... you'd come out of 8096x TC with a "Captain, we're taking on water!"

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 06:40 PM   #3746
J0313
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1823

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Capn got you on #1, as for #2, that's one of the problems with the audio engine that we've been trying to track down. You can also run into a situation where when you go outside on external camera, and go away from your boat, when you come back to the interior, you've brought the sound of the great outdoors in with you, and now you can barely hear the crew speak for the sound of the wind and wave splashing noises. Time Compression looms large in these. If we could find the circumstances that set those off, we'd be on the way to a "cure"... As for #3, notice that your crew oftentimes when you have that will NOT be in their slickers... and #4, yes forward bases do open as the war progresses. There are even a few Sub Tenders used off and on in different areas.

One of the things with the Time Compression, is just do a little math. If your boat is moving at 9 knots (roughly 10 mph or 16kph), you are traveling about 15 foot a second. Times that by sixty seconds in a minute, you've gone 900 foot. Times that by sixty minutes, and you've gone about 54000 feet per hour of time. Time Compression, one second is 8096 seconds at full-bore. You would travel 121,440 foot in that one second time frame. Twenty-three statute miles, or almost 20 nautical miles. That's beyond the horizon in the game... Granted, in theory, the game engine drops you out of TC in much less than a second, but if you're on Windows, and it decides to do a background Update Check... jussayin'... you'd come out of 8096x TC with a "Captain, we're taking on water!"
In reference to #4 are you going to make these forward bases and new bases available in say, an add on mod?
J0313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-17, 10:31 PM   #3747
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

I think I might be misunderstanding you. What I'm referring to is that as territory is won and the frontline advances, bases open for refuel & refit. I don't know how much of the TMO 1.7 campaign was left in FotRS, but we haven't changed much for Ultimate. So, I don't think your Home Port moves... There are all sorts of ideas for mods, so we'll just have to see what comes out.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-17, 09:24 AM   #3748
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

radar

Hi is v0.53 up yet didn't see it in the download section ?
Old 02-06-17, 10:07 AM   #3749
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Hi is v0.53 up yet didn't see it in the download section ?
Stand by. Have to do this by remote control from work.....

Edit: nope. Home computer is off-line for some reason. It's always something... I'll have to get it tonight.
Old 02-06-17, 11:47 AM   #3750
Lt commander lare
Grey Wolf

radar

No Worries.