SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-30-13, 09:07 PM   #3721
UncleBoomer
Watch

Downloads: 53
Uploads: 0

Thanks for the quick reply sir. I will take your advice about saved files and mods. However, Ive also had this problem when starting single missions which should rule out a saved game file. Am I wrong?

Thank You
UncleBoomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-13, 09:54 PM   #3722
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Afraid I can't say, as I've never played a single mission. Don't know how things work.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-14, 05:13 AM   #3723
JeromeHeretic
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post
There are posts on this forum that describe all manner of special conditions (near land, near a port, near enemy vessels, submerged, et cetera) that are said to affect the stability of saved games..
No save near as 50km to port - When you do it, after load of save scripted ships in port are crashing to ground etc.

No save submerged - Quite secure, but sometimes save is crazy and after load you respawn deep in 500 m, so your sub crash imediately.

Save near some other boats - Game often CTD, when try load save like this. But it can be anything, not only enemy vessels. The safest way to save is go to max compression. If time is runing quickly, without time jaming, probably you are alone in big distance. Dive and listen carefully around for any contact (save can crash for example for dolphines too...), if there's no contact, go to surface and do save. Like this you have 90 % probability that save will be functional.
JeromeHeretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 11:55 AM   #3724
10tacle
Watch

Downloads: 100

Could someone please point me to the Stiebler download link, it's somewhat hard to find all the downloads to the mentioned enhancements. Coud not find it in the download section.

Thanks a ton,
10tacle
10tacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 12:31 PM   #3725
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

The current Stiebler add-ons. These must be added AFTER you have patched SH3 with H.sie's mod.

http://www.subsim.com/mods1/nygm/Sti...6B1_Revised.7z (for NYGM, stock SH3 and some other super-mods).

http://www.subsim.com/mods1/nygm/GWX...n_for_V16B1.7z (for GWX users).

H.sie's mod mainly alters the hard-code.
My addition alters hard-code and also requires a number of changes to other files. This makes it hard to add, and many players have had difficulties, despite detailed instructions. NYGM has virtually all files correctly installed already.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-14, 01:06 PM   #3726
10tacle
Watch

Downloads: 100

Hi,

now that's what I call service. THANK YOU!

Will try these as soon as I find some time to do so...

Best,
10tacle
10tacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-14, 04:06 PM   #3727
Tinman764
Chief

Downloads: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theurg View Post
Looks like i've found the problem: it was SHCommander replacing en_menu.txt in Data\Menu folder each time it was launched. Rewriting en_menu.txt in SHCommander\Backup! folder with patched one from this mod will solve this nuisance. Maybe it will be useful for someone using this cool mod.
Sir, if I could kiss you, I would! Thank you!!! This thing was driving me NUTS!
Have a beer!
Tinman764 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 08:43 AM   #3728
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalleye View Post

2) Never save a career using an existing savegame name. Delete the old save, then save again using the same name. But saving using an existing name can lead to failures, including CTDs. All three Ubisoft SH titles use a complex save algorithm, involving multiple files. Not all of these get rewritten properly when you write over an existing save. Deleting an existing save may only delete the name from the savegame list, but when you save using a name which is not on the list, ALL necessary files are written afresh. That is not always the case when you save using an existing name.

...im sorry BigWalleye, I don't understand this part - especially the first two sentences. could explain again?
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 09:32 AM   #3729
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316

Haven't played SHIII for ages - mainly because the idea of spending hours and hours to get the game working with the mods I want was repulsive - but now decided to install it again. This time though I only activated a handful of mods so I would manage to even play the game.

Problem is that every time WO reports 'Fog Sighted', the game crashes. I doubt the mods I have would create any major conflicts which might cause the CTDs. And as the fog feature is in HC fixes it has to do something with that, though I have no idea how. Does anyone have any idea what might be the problem here?

So I have Stiebler's HC fixes and these mods:
Quote:
DBSM+fix
Flags_enlighten
WB's Decks Awash + Fuel
UAS
Torpedo damage final 2.0
TWD_Ship Plane Fire Damage
Hitman Optics for GWX
No continous 'Ship Spotted'
OLC's Modified Searchlight Beams
No Medals No Ranks
Pascal_damage_screen
Real Depth Charge
Sobers real smoke darker
TMT v2+ThomsensShips
TMT fix
Das Boot Clothes
Red Night Map
Supplement to V16B1
Old 02-06-14, 08:51 PM   #3730
desertstriker
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 998

Just checking but you have Hsies hardcode patch installed already right?
the only thing i can think of is that there is a corrupted line of code that could have happened you patched the .exe. the cause sould be a corrupted download or AV/firewall intercepted it
desertstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-14, 09:43 PM   #3731
BigWalleye
Sea Lord

Downloads: 465

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag4 View Post
...im sorry BigWalleye, I don't understand this part - especially the first two sentences. could explain again?
Sorry, I'll try again.

Normally, if I want to change the contents of a file and keep the same filename, I can just do a save operation which overwrites the existing contents with the new contents. A SAVE operation in Silent Hunter (3, 4, or 5) is much more than a simple filesave. There are a number of files that must be updated. And when you try to perform a SAVE operation using a savegame name that is already in use, Silent Hunter does not perform all the needed file updates properly. If you want to always save your current patrol situation under the name MYPATROL, you can select MYPATROL from the list of savegames displayed and click SAVE. This will generally result in a corrupt save, which will not load properly.

The only reliable way to perform a SAVE and keep the same savegame name is to, first, delete the existing save with the name you want to reuse. Then enter that name as a new savegame name and click SAVE. This will result in a successfu, loadable save. In my example, you would first delete the savegame named MYPATROL. Then type the name MYPATROL into the entry line and click SAVE. This saves the game under the savegame name MYPATROL without trying to update existing files. This works.

I hope this is a bit clearer.
BigWalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-14, 01:48 PM   #3732
Crécy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 316

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstriker View Post
Just checking but you have Hsies hardcode patch installed already right?
the only thing i can think of is that there is a corrupted line of code that could have happened you patched the .exe. the cause sould be a corrupted download or AV/firewall intercepted it
Yes, I do. I redownloaded Hsie's hardcoded patch and just in case unchecked the fog warning feature (which I only realized to do after I asked help here, surprisingly) and it seems to be working alright. No CTDs during 21-day patrol!
Old 02-15-14, 01:23 PM   #3733
Wolf52
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

I have to install the fixed .exe with all of these other changes before I can use Stiebler's weather mod? I am in the middle of a GWX career and I don't want to start a brand new one just to fix this. Although, the weather this past patrol has been truly agonizing...
Wolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 07:13 AM   #3734
Stiebler
Fuel Supplier

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 4

Quote:
I have to install the fixed .exe with all of these other changes before I can use Stiebler's weather mod? I am in the middle of a GWX career and I don't want to start a brand new one just to fix this.
The Stiebler weather fix is completely self-contained (contains file envsim.act only), and you can install it at any time, even in mid-patrol after saving the game.

However, the Hsie hard-code fix, and my additional hard-code Addon, both alter various other SH3/GWX configuration files, and therefore both these hard-code fixes must be installed when you are at base - at your main operating base, not at a temporary base. Use JSGME to install the new files, so you can remove them again if they clash with previous mods. (Actually, it's better to start a clean install (including GWX) in your case, add the Hsie and Stiebler-GWX hardcode fixes, TEST NOW THAT THE GAME PLAYS CORRECTLY, and then add any further mods, making sure that the new mods do not alter files already altered by the hard-code fixes.)

If you have already installed Hsie's hard-code fix, which contains the Hsie weather fix, and you want to use the Stiebler Weather Fix, you must un-check the toggle for 'weather' in the Options Selector that is supplied with the Hsie hard-code fix. Otherwise, if you have Hsie weather toggled on, and the Stiebler weather file, you will obtain unpredictable results from the weather.

I hope this complicated explanation is clear enough.

Stiebler.
Stiebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-14, 12:12 PM   #3735
Wolf52
Torpedoman

Downloads: 3

Thanks Stiebler, I think I will just use your fix without any of the other hard coded stuff for the moment. I assume the version in hsie's media fire directory is the current one? "NYGM Bad Weather Fix V1"?
Wolf52 is offline   Reply With Quote