SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-20-14, 08:00 PM   #3181
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
You're transforming this game into real simulation...
What it should've been from the start

Just finished up the code for the stadimeter as sextant revision. Everything working exactly as it should When the sextant is enabled you will be able to take readings on heavenly bodies from +75 degrees to -15 degrees from the waterline. The neat thing about how I coded this is that you can use the sextant to determine range from a known object You place the sextant at the bottom of the known object and record the angle reading. You move the sextant to the top of the known object and record the angle reading. Now with a little trig you can determine your distance from that object

Let's say known object is lighthouse. It's known height is 15m
Placing stadimeter at bottom of lighthouse yields an angle of 9.3. Placing stadimeter at top of lighthouse yields an angle of 10.1. Difference between angle readings is 0.8 degrees.

tan 0.8 degrees = 15m/x

0.01396 = 15m / x
x = 15m / 0.01396
x = 1074.5m

Distance from lighthouse would be 1074.5m

You can do many things with the sextant now (gotta love math!)

New version of patcher and new test version of my UIs mod coming soon
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-14, 08:31 PM   #3182
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

An unintentional feature was added with my revised stadimeter as sextant patch You can set an offset to the angle reported (it'll make more sense when you use the sextant).

You press the Activate sextant button to start using the sextant.
You'll notice that no angle is being reported. This is because you first have to 'zero' the sextant. Press the stadimeter button to start 'using' the sextant (you're already using the sextant but this enables the other part of the sextant). Move the mouse down until the second line is on the first line (thus zeroing the sextant). Press the left mouse button to set the 'zero'. Now you'll see continuous angle values being reported
Let's say you want to induce an offset into the sextant. First zero the sextant as above. Note the angle value. Press the stadimeter button again and move the second line until the desired angle is attained. Press the left mouse button to lock in the offset

This will all make much more sense when you use the revised sextant It's quite the tool now
Old 04-20-14, 09:11 PM   #3183
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

v1.0.164.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.164.0 revised the SH5.exe stadimeter as sextant patch. Now you can take readings on heavenly bodies from +75 to -15 from the waterline.

It's very critical that you disable every single patch of every single file with old version of patcher first. It's also very critical that you open EVERY file the app asks to open so that all support functions are updated.
Old 04-20-14, 10:20 PM   #3184
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
One idea...
TDW, you developed before similar patch which will prevent high underwater speed with raised snorkel...
Could you apply same principle for periscopes and limit submarine speed to something like 3-4 knots, without much to work on ? That would be rally cool, I've been waiting this fix for ages now...
I'll try and work on that on my plane flight to Queretaro, Mexico
Old 04-21-14, 05:17 AM   #3185
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

@ TDW

Is the 'current wind speed' variable treated in game as an integer or as a decimal? In other words, can I use decimal WindSpeed settings in SeaParameters.cfg, or they would be rounded anyway to the nearest integer?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 07:41 AM   #3186
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
@ TDW

Is the 'current wind speed' variable treated in game as an integer or as a decimal? In other words, can I use decimal WindSpeed settings in SeaParameters.cfg, or they would be rounded anyway to the nearest integer?
The game reads and stores the WindSpeed as a float value
Old 04-21-14, 07:52 AM   #3187
steineib
Watch

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0

soo today i have see the differents between windspeed 60m and 0m. well done
steineib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 08:27 AM   #3188
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
The game reads and stores the WindSpeed as a float value
Thank you for you answer

So, I suppose, decimal WindSpeed values set in the mentioned cfg file would make sense, being converted in memory into float point numbers. Is that correct?

P.S: can you please answer the following point?

Quote:
SeaParameters.cfg contains the wave settings for several wind speeds. The game interpolates automatically the settings of two contiguous wind speeds set in the cfg file, when a given wind speed comprised between the two above is not present in the said file.

What I ignore is how the game can handle the new speeds achieved with the patch by TDW, since in the currently available cfg files there are no top end settings that can be interpolated for speeds higher than 15 m/s.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 09:36 AM   #3189
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
v1.0.164.0 released. See post #1

Starting with v1.0.164.0 revised the SH5.exe stadimeter as sextant patch. Now you can take readings on heavenly bodies from +75 to -15 from the waterline.

It's very critical that you disable every single patch of every single file with old version of patcher first. It's also very critical that you open EVERY file the app asks to open so that all support functions are updated.
Great work TDW, TY very much!

However, is it possible to have true sextant view like it's shown on the picture, with much wider field of view of course?

This would be the most realistic sextant implementation IMO because in order to correctly measure angular elevation of celestial body we would need to merge horizon line with the body and that is precisely how real sextant work, right?
With current implementation player is forced to turn off camera movement in realism settings or even to pause the game in order to precisely measure elevation which is not good...
I tried to pinpoint to this issue before but you didn't understand me, English is not my native language, which is obvious unfortunately...
Maybe now my post is a bit more understandable ?
vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 10:50 AM   #3190
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Great work TDW, TY very much!

However, is it possible to have true sextant view like it's shown on the picture, with much wider field of view of course?

This would be the most realistic sextant implementation IMO because in order to correctly measure angular elevation of celestial body we would need to merge horizon line with the body and that is precisely how real sextant work, right?
With current implementation player is forced to turn off camera movement in realism settings or even to pause the game in order to precisely measure elevation which is not good...
I tried to pinpoint to this issue before but you didn't understand me, English is not my native language, which is obvious unfortunately...
Maybe now my post is a bit more understandable ?
If you properly zero out the sextant the navigator will always reference where the first line is to the waterline. Should be no reason to adjust realism or camera settings
Old 04-21-14, 11:59 AM   #3191
vdr1981
Navy Seal

Downloads: 581
Uploads: 13

Quote:
If you properly zero out the sextant the navigator will always reference where the first line is to the waterline. Should be no reason to adjust realism or camera settings
I see... I'm just thinking that it would be cooler to meseure elevation like this, although the current implementation is very good indeed ...

vdr1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 01:15 PM   #3192
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
I see... I'm just thinking that it would be cooler to meseure elevation like this, although the current implementation is very good indeed ..
You're wanting a split prism view like stadimeter? How would you implement that for elevations you can't see in the current viewing window? That's the reason I'm using the current implementation
Old 04-21-14, 01:20 PM   #3193
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Thank you for you answer

So, I suppose, decimal WindSpeed values set in the mentioned cfg file would make sense, being converted in memory into float point numbers. Is that correct?

P.S: can you please answer the following point?
Decimal is a 64bit value and float is a 32bit value. They both represent whole numbers with a fractional part so it's fine. The game is reading the value as a float. If it has no fractional part then it's assumed the fractional part is zero

I don't get your following point
Old 04-21-14, 02:51 PM   #3194
Gammel
Commodore

Downloads: 276
Uploads: 0

@gap it would be awesome if you manage to make zones around shore and esp. harbous with calmer seastates. It' anoys me most when my boat is hopping up and down due to high seastate in bunker.
However I guess this is much work.

I'll play aound with the files in ENV folder a little for myself to see some effect inn campaign. Will only alter the *_Hur.cfg files to keep the randomness and don't make it look silly.

Can you give me a hint about the SeaParameters.cfg?
There are five seatypes? does it have some effect if one more is added?

How this file is corresponding with the WetTropS_Hig.cfg and the others in the folder?
Old 04-21-14, 04:17 PM   #3195
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammel View Post
@gap it would be awesome if you manage to make zones around shore and esp. harbous with calmer seastates. It' anoys me most when my boat is hopping up and down due to high seastate in bunker.
However I guess this is much work.

I'll play aound with the files in ENV folder a little for myself to see some effect inn campaign. Will only alter the *_Hur.cfg files to keep the randomness and don't make it look silly.

Can you give me a hint about the SeaParameters.cfg?
There are five seatypes? does it have some effect if one more is added?

How this file is corresponding with the WetTropS_Hig.cfg and the others in the folder?
What the game needs is long rolling waves so your periscope vision gets blocked . I somewhat have it in my latest waves mod but I am over it quite frankly . If someone could come up with a new fresh waves mod then that would be great . If you adjust the LargeWavesArmonics in seaperamaters too far then your sub floats up to the sky etc etc etc . You can adjust almost on the fly . Have the game at the main menu screen and then Esc out of the game and adjust the seaperamaters cfg file . Then choose a single mission and adjust the wave height in the single mission . Look at what the adjustment looks like then go back to the main menu screen . repeat about a thousand times .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote