SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-10, 08:27 AM   #286
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Finally, the manual states that RFB is not compatible with "environment mods", but the "Pacific Environment" manual says the RFB team was coming out with a RFB version. Was this done? I cant seem to find it.
IIRC the RFB uses modified version of the E 5.0. I find it the best looking of the all. Top job RFB team.

@ Hitman: Many thanks for this quick fix, I will help in testing as well.

Good to see so many RFB players.
TH0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 09:26 AM   #287
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 146

If I'm not mistaken, RFB uses the PE mod. I think it was incorporated with the advent of v2.0.
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 09:36 AM   #288
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Just one more comment to make sure. I was not complaining.... just pointing out that there was something severely wrong
And I took it as that

Seems you were absolutely right, and it's great to receive feedback and be able to detect problems
Old 02-20-10, 10:00 AM   #289
TH0R
XO

Downloads: 52

Anyone else getting a CTD when trying to enter Museum with the latest patch?
TH0R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 12:25 PM   #290
Nephandus
Seaman

Downloads: 13
Default 1st results with Fixed Fog

All right... here are my first results (unfortunately the last for that ongoing campaign as somebody stupid saw fit to promote me and send me off to Anapolis). All contacts are with volumetric fog on, used boat type is S-18.

1st contact

Time: 0658
Weather Conditions: Clear Skies, no rain, good visibility
Wind: 0 m/s
Contacts: none
Comment: Just taking a stroll on the conning tower. Looking good so far, the fog is away in quite a distance

2nd contact

Time: 1656
Weather Conditions: clear skies, no rain, excellent visibility
Wind: 6 m/s
Contacts: Medium modern split freighter
Comments: Smoke was faintly visible at 20000 yards (realistic). However when diving to periscope depth a little bit later, the target was clearly visible in the scope but not lockable. The crew detected the target visually only at app. 5000 yards. I guess the sensor.cfg needs some overhaul as well as far as this fix goes.

3rd contact

Time: 1110
Weather conditions: partly cloudy, no rain, good visibility
Wind: 15 m/s
Contacts: Medium old split freighter
Comments: Crew detected the target but is was out of visible range (measured on map: 6.4nm = app. 13000 yards = app. 12000 m). Target was visible (faint smoke) and lockable at app. 12500 yards

4th contact

Time: 0830
Weather conditions: clear, no rain, excellent visibility
Wind: 1 m/s
Comments: Now this one was special.... the crew detected this one at nearly 30000 yards.... no trace of smoke on the horizon. It was lockable at app. 24000 yards still not being visible. It came into visible range at app. 23000 yards.

I didn't encounter any fair visibility situations but poor visibility with heavy rain definitely looked better.
I think, the patch works well... only the AI sensor settings must be tweaked slightly.
Nephandus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 12:44 PM   #291
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Excellent and detailed feedback Nephandus (Mit deutsche Genauigkeit )

Yes, the sensors certainly will be tweaked, but first of all we need to ensure the player sees the contacts at the same time or even before his crew This seems to be the case so far.

Quote:
2nd contact

Time: 1656
Weather Conditions: clear skies, no rain, excellent visibility
Wind: 6 m/s
Contacts: Medium modern split freighter
Comments: Smoke was faintly visible at 20000 yards (realistic). However when diving to periscope depth a little bit later, the target was clearly visible in the scope but not lockable. The crew detected the target visually only at app. 5000 yards.
Do you mean the crew didn't detect it when you were at periscope depth until it was at 5000 yards? If so, that is correct. The periscope should only lock when targets are much closer, and if it can't lock, that's because the "crew AI" will not see the target. But this is as intended for the periscope, because otherwise we get a night vision bug.

But if a clearly visible ship was NOT detected in SURFACE until 5000 metres, then it is wrong.

Quote:
3rd contact

Time: 1110
Weather conditions: partly cloudy, no rain, good visibility
Wind: 15 m/s
Contacts: Medium old split freighter
Comments: Crew detected the target but is was out of visible range (measured on map: 6.4nm = app. 13000 yards = app. 12000 m). Target was visible (faint smoke) and lockable at app. 12500 yards
If it wasn't visible until 12500 yards, then I guess there was light fog in the game. Anyway, only 500 yards difference between crew and you is clearlybetter than before.

Quote:
4th contact

Time: 0830
Weather conditions: clear, no rain, excellent visibility
Wind: 1 m/s
Comments: Now this one was special.... the crew detected this one at nearly 30000 yards.... no trace of smoke on the horizon. It was lockable at app. 24000 yards still not being visible. It came into visible range at app. 23000 yards.
I'll look into max detection range. Shouldn't be much more than the maximum visible range, so 30.000 yards is definately too much.

Again THANKS for the detailed feedback, you have no idea how much this helps
Old 02-20-10, 01:17 PM   #292
Nephandus
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Excellent and detailed feedback Nephandus (Mit deutsche Genauigkeit )

Yes, the sensors certainly will be tweaked, but first of all we need to ensure the player sees the contacts at the same time or even before his crew This seems to be the case so far.
I would say so too. I think the new fog settings are good.

Quote:
Do you mean the crew didn't detect it when you were at periscope depth until it was at 5000 yards? If so, that is correct. The periscope should only lock when targets are much closer, and if it can't lock, that's because the "crew AI" will not see the target. But this is as intended for the periscope, because otherwise we get a night vision bug.

But if a clearly visible ship was NOT detected in SURFACE until 5000 metres, then it is wrong.
Well... if it is working as designed to avoid a bug that is fine with me.... sensors of the type "Eyeball Mk I" still work pretty well.

Quote:
If it wasn't visible until 12500 yards, then I guess there was light fog in the game. Anyway, only 500 yards difference between crew and you is clearlybetter than before.
Indeed it is.

Quote:
I'll look into max detection range. Shouldn't be much more than the maximum visible range, so 30.000 yards is definately too much.

Again THANKS for the detailed feedback, you have no idea how much this helps
I think the distance was the maximum sensor detection range under ideal circumstances. Since there is a slight variance between that and the render distance, I guess it is again a "sensor" thing.

I hope that was enough feedback to get some clues. Looking forward to test the next version.

And btw: I like to help... after all it improves my game experience.
Old 02-20-10, 07:59 PM   #293
LukeFF
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 41
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Rat View Post
Finally, the manual states that RFB is not compatible with "environment mods", but the "Pacific Environment" manual says the RFB team was coming out with a RFB version. Was this done? I cant seem to find it.
Yes, this mod is integrated in RFB.

ROW Sound Effects Contributor
RFB Team Leader
LukeFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 08:02 PM   #294
OlegM
Engineer

Downloads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donner View Post
RFB patch might overwrite anything that was RSRDC. So, yes, you will need to reinstall RSRDC.

My advice would be start using JSGME...it will make things so much easier for you to track down where conflicts are.

Just my two cents...
Donner you were correct about this. After I reinstalled RSRDC over RFB + patch, there is no more crashing when viewing Minelayer in the recognition book (it was a Minelayer that was bringing the game down).

To me RSRDC is a "must have" mod, the most important mod in SH4 world if I may say so.

Having said that I would suggest simply integrating it into RFB. RFB does not make much sense realism-wise, unless accompanied with realistic dynamic campaign layer.
OlegM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-10, 09:36 PM   #295
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

Thanks for this beautiful mod.

I am running no other mods, just RFB and the Feb 18 patch.

I still get no map contact updates. Sorry, but that is one concession I need.

It was stated this was included in the patch. Can anyone else confirm that there still is no map contact updates? So far I have only checked by loading the training missions and they don't work there.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 05:05 AM   #296
Nephandus
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegM View Post
Donner you were correct about this. After I reinstalled RSRDC over RFB + patch, there is no more crashing when viewing Minelayer in the recognition book (it was a Minelayer that was bringing the game down).

To me RSRDC is a "must have" mod, the most important mod in SH4 world if I may say so.

Having said that I would suggest simply integrating it into RFB. RFB does not make much sense realism-wise, unless accompanied with realistic dynamic campaign layer.
I wouldn't recommend that. After all, both are two different mods. RFB is about the game mechanics and the graphics, RSRDC is about historicity. Since the latter one is also made for the stock game and TM and has different update intervals, it would be hardly practical
Old 02-21-10, 06:20 AM   #297
Nephandus
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post
Thanks for this beautiful mod.

I still get no map contact updates. Sorry, but that is one concession I need.

It was stated this was included in the patch. Can anyone else confirm that there still is no map contact updates? So far I have only checked by loading the training missions and they don't work there.
I can confirm that. Doesn't work in campaign either.
Old 02-21-10, 06:20 AM   #298
sergei
Sea Lord

Downloads: 405
Uploads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper View Post
I still get no map contact updates.
I've just done a fresh install, then enabled RFB2 and the latest patch.
Map contacts are showing up for me.
I'm afraid something has gone wrong for you somewhere.
sergei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-10, 06:25 AM   #299
sergei
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephandus View Post
I can confirm that. Doesn't work in campaign either.
Really, for you too?
Let me go and double check my install.
Old 02-21-10, 06:28 AM   #300
sergei
Sea Lord

Originally Posted by Evil Koala
Were radio reported contact's course information removed? All of my radio reported contacts look like this:

Contact Reported. Friendly Warship . Long 122 05' . Lat 12 44' . Course . Speed 17 knots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeFF View Post
I checked that line in both stock and RFB, and it hasn't been changed. That's strange that that's happening. Anyone else seeing this?
Yes, I am seeing this too.