SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-26-13, 10:16 AM   #16
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Scariest movie ever, must have Jimbuna running around naked..

You see my dog don't like people laughing. He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 10:18 AM   #17
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
...I told him the same thing after Apollo 18. That movie isn't the least bit scary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feuer Frei! View Post
The word 'scary' is so subjective it's unbelievable. Like music. Like fashion.
Feuer Frei! understood...

Quote:
I don't watch any foreign stuff.
And why not?
Old 03-26-13, 12:05 PM   #18
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
My best friend is the best one to watch scary movies with. He was scared by Apollo 18, Insidious, Chernobyl Diaries, Paranormal Activity 3, and he somehow can still live with himself.
My best "watching a 'scary' movie with a friend" story has to do with the movie "Jaws" which is, actually, pretty scary and tense in places but not really a horror film.

When my best friend and I were still working in the same office I used the phrase "gonna need a bigger boat" in reference to something only to look up and see a look of complete incomprehension on her face. "You know," I said. "A bigger boat. We're gonna need a bigger boat. Like in 'Jaws.'"

"I've never seen 'Jaws,'" she said.

After I picked my own jaw up off the floor she explained that she didn't see it when it came out because she loves the ocean and going to the beach and thought it might ruin those things for her. And somehow she'd managed never to see it, not even a few minutes in a clip or while channel surfing, in all the years since.

Fair enough.

But a couple years later I had just bought my first DVD player and I was going to hang out at her place one weekend for a girls' night in, and I took the player and what few DVDs I had at the time with me so we could watch some stuff. One of the DVDs was, of course, "Jaws." I think I actually owned the DVD *before* I had a player, as a matter of fact. I remember watching all the special features on my computer. Anyway I hook up the player and tell her to pick out something from what I'd brought and she decided that after all these years she might as well see "Jaws" to find out what all the fuss was about.

Now keep in mind that I have seen "Jaws" many, MANY times. I basically have the movie memorized at this point. There are no surprises left. And I'd never before watched the movie with anyone who hadn't also seen it many times previously, so I'd kinda forgotten about any possible scare or shock factor because to me and everybody I know, it's all old hat at this point.

Well we get to the part where the three guys are out on the ocean looking for the shark and Brody's mad because Quint will only let Hooper drive the boat while he has to toss the chum in the water. "Slow ahead. I can go 'slow ahead.' Why doncha come down here and chum some o' this--"

And then of course you have the infamous moment where Mr. Shark is introduced for the first time by popping out of the waves to scare the... er... chum out of Chief Brody. I'm watching the movie not thinking anything about it at all when suddenly there's this scream to my right followed by a thump. I look over and my friend has not only screamed but jumped in her seat to the point that she slid completely off the couch onto the floor. I never laughed so hard in my life.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 12:17 PM   #19
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
A low budget Brit horror but well worth a viewing...Dog Soldiers:
Bah..throw them a few doggy treats and you have them rolling around doing tricks for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
OH MY....PLEASE NO!!!

Arrrrrheeeeeeeeeee...run for the hills.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 01:03 PM   #20
Betonov
Navy Seal

Downloads: 26

The dumbest thing ever was that we watched Blair witch before we went camping. Near the camp is a small rocky slope thats weathered enough that a single animal can dislodge a stone and roll it down the hill. A sound of moving rocks every 5 minutes. Not to mention a scream every now and then
Betonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 02:27 PM   #21
Nippelspanner
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
Now keep in mind that I have seen "Jaws" many, MANY times.
Good girl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frau kaleun View Post
And then of course you have the infamous moment where Mr. Shark is introduced for the first time...
It's Bruce!!

However, beautiful story, Fräulein!

I love this movie to death.
When I was 4, maybe 5, I watched it the first time - 'accidentally'. My brother was collecting movies back then and had them all. He always scared me with this movie, talking about it etc... He showed me the VHS tape, which had a small black sticker on one side. I couln'd read at that time, so he thought I would never find the tape.

He forgot the sticker.

I watched the movie, secretly, (Just don't ask why I was able to handle TV & Video Recorder at that age, haha) and he surprised me when he came back early. He was coming up the stairs, doing the "dun-dun-dun-dun" from the main theme. I hid behind the sofa in terror, believing the shark became real, now on it's way to get me...

End of story? I was really traumatized by this movie and event, so a 2 years long streak of terrible nightmares haunted me - just because of Bruce.

A former girlfriend of mine managed to set an end to this trauma by buying me the movie poster for my room. It cured me, Bruce and me are friends today and I watch the movie every once in a while, ha.
Old 03-26-13, 03:22 PM   #22
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
It's Bruce!!
I know but I was afraid the young and uninitiated wouldn't know who I was talking about.

Quote:
However, beautiful story, Fräulein!
It was so awesome. We still laugh about it to this day. Even though she'd told me she'd never seen ANY of the movie, it still just didn't occur to me that anyone who'd been alive and conscious for the preceding 30 years would not be at least *aware* of such a famous movie moment.

I remember pausing the movie, looking down at her on the floor, and saying... "Now... you did KNOW there was a shark in this movie, right? It couldn't have been that much of a surprise!"

But from what I've been told, a lot of people had the same reaction to that scene in the theaters when they saw it for the first time way back when it was just released.

Quote:
I love this movie to death.
When I was 4, maybe 5, I watched it the first time - 'accidentally'. My brother was collecting movies back then and had them all. He always scared me with this movie, talking about it etc... He showed me the VHS tape, which had a small black sticker on one side. I couln'd read at that time, so he thought I would never find the tape.
I was a few years older than that when it came out in theaters but my sister, who was already married by then, refused to take me to see it because she said it was too scary. (This is the same sister who used to drag me out of bed at midnight on the weekends to watch old horror movies on tv. Go figure). So she GAVE ME THE BOOK TO READ instead.

This was pretty normal for her back then. The Exorcist? NO YOU CANNOT GO SEE THE EXORCIST... oh fine, here, just read the book. The Omen? Of course I'm not taking you to see that. Wait, though, I've got the book here somewhere...

Quote:
A former girlfriend of mine managed to set an end to this trauma by buying me the movie poster for my room. It cured me, Bruce and me are friends today and I watch the movie every once in a while, ha.
I have one of those Billy Bass singing fish type plaques on the wall in my office, except instead of the usual fish it's a great white shark and it says JAWS in big letters across the top. When it comes on the shark wiggles his fins like he's swimming and the "dun-dun dun-dun" theme from the movie plays.

Then that stops abruptly and the music changes and the shark turns his head to look at you and starts singing "Mack the Knife." Funny thing, I have it because that same friend and I were out shopping in some outlet and stumbled on a huge pile of these things on clearance, I mean a stack of boxes taller than we were and about ten feet around. We just stood there and stared at it until she said, "I think you have to buy one of those." "Yep," I said, and so I did.

Even funnier was that at first I didn't know that in addition to having a 'play' button it also has a motion sensor which was set to 'on' by default. So I put batteries in it and hung it in my office and turned off the lights and went home and came in the next morning to find a little note from the cleaning crew on my desk, letting me know that it had come on and scared the crap out of them when they walked in the night before.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 03:40 PM   #23
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

I think for anyone in the UK who grew up between 1950 and 1991, this had to be the stuff of nightmares:
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 05:48 PM   #24
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nippelspanner View Post
And why not?
I just don't. They aren't as common as American movies and the few places that sell foreign movies have bad selections.
Old 03-26-13, 06:00 PM   #25
STEED
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 48

Scariest movie ever, comes down to you the individual as one person would sit there bored out their mind yelling at the film while another person goes screaming into the night.

So far I have not seen a film that gave me the shiver's but I do recall episodes of The Omega Factor scared the heck out of me as a kid.

To borrow Davros saying...I NAME YOU CHIBNALL THE DESTROYER OF DR WHO YOU KILLED IT!
STEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 06:02 PM   #26
Tchocky
Navy Seal

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
I think for anyone in the UK who grew up between 1950 and 1991, this had to be the stuff of nightmares:
That scared the hell out of me, and I first watched it on a nice comfy TGV on a beautiful summers day. Eeech.
Old 03-26-13, 06:13 PM   #27
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Only two movies made me loose my sleep for nights when I first saw them, it was in my teenage years. The first, Alien, must not be explained.

The second was "Picnic at Hanging Rock" by Peter Weir. The last scene, when the camera closes in on the headmistress of the college, she now wearing all black suddenly and sits alone and motionless, when the last news is brought to her, and the last spoken words in the movie are heard by the audience. Her cold eyes, her face like stone, no movement - and then you hear how the big clock in the floor stops ticking.

That was kind of Bradburian horror.

I cannot explain why, obviously it is because of the mysterious nature of the story told before, but this scene let me fear darkness for many nights to come. Maybe because so much interpretation is possible and left to imagination. And imagination runs wild.

I still admire that movie very much.

Obviously there are other shocking movies as well, who impressed me for one or two nights, but not longer. "Don't look now" on my mind. Creepy.
Old 03-26-13, 06:22 PM   #28
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
The first, Alien, must not be explained.
Oh yeah, I saw that one last week. Pretty good movie. Not all that frightening, though. Probably because everybody knows who lives and who dies. It even said it on the back cover!
Old 03-26-13, 06:34 PM   #29
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
I'd be too frightened to watch that one myself

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-13, 06:39 PM   #30
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermat47 View Post
Oh yeah, I saw that one last week. Pretty good movie. Not all that frightening, though. Probably because everybody knows who lives and who dies. It even said it on the back cover!
The Alien series isn't that scary. Aliens has a jump scene or two but it's more of a Sci-Fi thing than a horror thing.