SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-10-11, 03:49 PM   #16
marleymen
Planesman

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Everyone should have a basic understanding of programming, it's essential in today's electronic world. My dad got me interested in computers at 8. That was the spark I needed and it took off like a wild fire. I read just about any book I can get my hands on dealing with programming languages, DirectX, game engine design, and hacking.

When it was announced that SH5 was going to use a version of Python to allow scripting possibilities I knew that I needed to learn Python (never had an interest in it before). So I went down to Barnes & Noble and bought some books and began reading and learning. After a couple of months I was ready for SH5. I went from 0% knowledge of Python to my current ability from those books and just experimenting with writing programs in Python.

Maybe it's time you start reading? Programming opens up a whole new world to you. When you get really good at it you can make software do whatever you want it to do. The 'chips' in most electronic toys/devices contain firmware. Firmware is nothing more than software stored on the chip in the device/toy. With some special tools and clever thinking one can extract/manipulate/change the firmware and put it back into the chip to make the device/toy do things it was never intended/thought. Your blue ray players and cable boxes are usually running a linux type OS in them. What does that mean? That means software is controlling what you can and can't see, the menus displayed on your screens, etc. One can thus manipulate this not very easily but the point is it can be done.

Go pick up Python Programming Second Edition for the absolute beginner by Michael Dawson. That was the first book I read to start learning about Python and it was a GREAT book
It´s a pleasure read those kind of words. What about recycling a poor Java programmer into a Python expert? Could I?

I will start that book you recommended TDW. EVerything I could help is a good help.
marleymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 03:51 PM   #17
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymen View Post
It´s a pleasure read those kind of words. What about recycling a poor Java programmer into a Python expert? Could I?

I will start that book you recommended TDW. EVerything I could help is a good help.
You'll notice that Java is a lot like Python. Python even has classes! This version of Python has access to the .NET framework and can even make calls into DirectX
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 03:54 PM   #18
marleymen
Planesman

Downloads: 123
Uploads: 0

I started learning python to program for my Nokia 5800 some apps. Then I quit and started with QT. Now I was busy with that, but I can retry with python and help a little. Not good skill, but sure will have some ideas. The idea sometimes is the most difficult to write in an program.

@TDW you have a message, Sir.
marleymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 09:11 PM   #19
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
Everyone should have a basic understanding of programming, it's essential in today's electronic world. My dad got me interested in computers at 8. That was the spark I needed and it took off like a wild fire. I read just about any book I can get my hands on dealing with programming languages, DirectX, game engine design, and hacking.

When it was announced that SH5 was going to use a version of Python to allow scripting possibilities I knew that I needed to learn Python (never had an interest in it before). So I went down to Barnes & Noble and bought some books and began reading and learning. After a couple of months I was ready for SH5. I went from 0% knowledge of Python to my current ability from those books and just experimenting with writing programs in Python.

Maybe it's time you start reading? Programming opens up a whole new world to you. When you get really good at it you can make software do whatever you want it to do. The 'chips' in most electronic toys/devices contain firmware. Firmware is nothing more than software stored on the chip in the device/toy. With some special tools and clever thinking one can extract/manipulate/change the firmware and put it back into the chip to make the device/toy do things it was never intended/thought. Your blue ray players and cable boxes are usually running a linux type OS in them. What does that mean? That means software is controlling what you can and can't see, the menus displayed on your screens, etc. One can thus manipulate this not very easily but the point is it can be done.

Go pick up Python Programming Second Edition for the absolute beginner by Michael Dawson. That was the first book I read to start learning about Python and it was a GREAT book
The problem is , i could read the entire internet and still be an idiot .
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-11, 09:22 PM   #20
Madox58
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

99.99% is not just programming for SH5
Re-learning how 3D Models are done is very important for SH5.
The old school way don't fly no more.
Old 01-10-11, 11:26 PM   #21
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleymen View Post
Now that Ubisoft has leaved DRM required online connection for SH5 we need you talented modders from SH4 and SH3 to join the cause. *

SH5 can be THE SIM. A good year to hope. Come and join us.

*those who refused to buy because of that DRM
Speaking just for myself, as the DRM goes, it wasn't the constant connection requirement that irritated me. It was having that DRM there at all, because it really lengthens the time it takes to go from the desktop, to in game. Your typical modder is restarting the game a lot, because 99% of the time you can't make tweaks to the game files while the games running, and very rarely do you get it right the first time.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote