SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-11-07, 05:35 PM   #16
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skweetis
Hey beery,

Can I borrow from this for the manual Im working on? SOme great stuff here!

THanks
Sure, borrow away.

"Anyrooad up, ah'll si thi"
- Missen.
Beery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 07:56 PM   #17
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagan
I keep getting the same mission over and over again in carreer mode and I always check to see that my objectives are 100% complete. This is bugging me anyone had this?
If you're getting the same mission over and over that's usually a sign that there's something wrong with your campaign files. Have you installed any mods or adjusted the campaigns at all? If not I'd say some sort of corrupt file has found its way into your game.
I read somewhere that filing aarp's (after action reports) can help with this somewhat.

But as mentioned above there are only so many missions available and the chances of getting a repeat are fairly good.

On this subject.. has anyone gotten a mission that was obvious suicide ? Some of the photo recon missions deep in the mainland of Japan in shallow waters and narrow bays come to mind ?

In these cases Im sorely tempted to ignore orders.
SteamWake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 09:01 PM   #18
RickC Sniper
Undetectable

Downloads: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamWake
On this subject.. has anyone gotten a mission that was obvious suicide ? Some of the photo recon missions deep in the mainland of Japan in shallow waters and narrow bays come to mind ?

In these cases Im sorely tempted to ignore orders.
Not yet, but I DID get a mission to photo my own harbor. I was stationed at Surabaya, Just stuck the camera out the window of my hotel and took my pictures.

Support Subsim http://www.subsim.com/store.html
RickC Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 09:48 PM   #19
Beery
Admiral

Location: Silver Spring, MD, USA (but still a Yorkshireman at heart - tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC Sniper
I DID get a mission to photo my own harbor. I was stationed at Surabaya, Just stuck the camera out the window of my hotel and took my pictures.
Ubisoft is notorious for getting dates wrong. In this case it's simply a matter of getting the date of availability of a mission to conform to the date the area changes hands. The same problem happens in the stock game with Manila harbour - you can get a photo mission there in December 1941 when the base is still in Allied hands.

As these things crop up, the major modmakers will fix them. They're easy to fix. It just takes a little time to find the problems.

- Missen.
Old 04-11-07, 10:38 PM   #20
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagan
I keep getting the same mission over and over again in carreer mode and I always check to see that my objectives are 100% complete. This is bugging me anyone had this?
Patrol Honsu?
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 12:06 PM   #21
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Wow this one rolled off the page fast.

This should be stickied in my opinion.
Old 04-12-07, 03:18 PM   #22
KodiakPA
Gunner

Downloads: 7

I was wondering why it was taking so long to complete some of my missions. Especially the sink enemy merchent shipping one. I thought there might be some sort of tonnage requirement.
Old 04-12-07, 03:46 PM   #23
scalelokt
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 35

One thing I can add from my last patrol. My mission was to sail to a specific port and take pictures. I went there, took pictures of every single ship, still mission was not completed. There was another port not too far away, so I went there on a hunch, took a picture and the mission was accomplished. I love the missions in SH4, definitly an improvement, however sometimes they can get a bit confusing. Great thread, this will be helpful to a lot of people.
scalelokt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 04:43 PM   #24
GnarPow
Gunner

Quote:
Photo.
You must travel to within 8 nautical miles of the objective then, while submerged, lock an enemy vessel in your periscope and press the menu bar button to take a photo. You usually get 300 renown points for this mission.
I take a picture of a ship in the harbor it still doesnt complete the mission. When i look at its status there is a little camera symbol next to the Incomplete and when I click the camera I can see a picture. Is there anything I am missing? i have tried to send a status report but that doesnt really change anything. I am really close when I take the picture so you can clearly see a ship in my picture. Also should I take it during the night or day? i have tried both to no avail.

edit:^^^ just saw your post above me.. maybe thats it.. i hope your right

** It didnt work... when i went to the other port the photo button didnt light up to take a picture... My objective port only has 2 gunboats which i took pictures of both of them which show up next to the imcomplete, i dont know what to do from here... I keep doing it at night, does that matter?**

Last edited by GnarPow; 04-12-07 at 05:11 PM.
GnarPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 07:51 PM   #25
SteamWake
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarPow
Quote:
Photo.
You must travel to within 8 nautical miles of the objective then, while submerged, lock an enemy vessel in your periscope and press the menu bar button to take a photo. You usually get 300 renown points for this mission.
I take a picture of a ship in the harbor it still doesnt complete the mission. When i look at its status there is a little camera symbol next to the Incomplete and when I click the camera I can see a picture. Is there anything I am missing? i have tried to send a status report but that doesnt really change anything. I am really close when I take the picture so you can clearly see a ship in my picture. Also should I take it during the night or day? i have tried both to no avail.

edit:^^^ just saw your post above me.. maybe thats it.. i hope your right

** It didnt work... when i went to the other port the photo button didnt light up to take a picture... My objective port only has 2 gunboats which i took pictures of both of them which show up next to the imcomplete, i dont know what to do from here... I keep doing it at night, does that matter?**
Try taking several photos of several different ships. Worked for me (shrug)
Old 04-12-07, 09:12 PM   #26
Beery
Admiral

From the mission files it looks like you usually need to photograph five ships to get the mission accomplished. Someone will need to confirm that though as I've never done a photo mission yet.

- Missen.
Old 04-13-07, 01:54 AM   #27
GnarPow
Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beery
From the mission files it looks like you usually need to photograph five ships to get the mission accomplished. Someone will need to confirm that though as I've never done a photo mission yet.
5 ships? lol i only see 2 crappy lil gunboats... maybe ill just go end patrol anyways
GnarPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-07, 07:48 AM   #28
orion_jb2001
Watch

Downloads: 12

Thanks for the list

jeff
orion_jb2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 07:06 PM   #29
Snacko
Engineer

Downloads: 58

Just found this Beery, and once again... You 'da Man!!

I haven't done many missions yet. Just started a career and spent 2 evenings playing trying to get to the patrol area. So, I'm having fun, but wasting a lot of time, but having fun.

I have just started a mission that says to sink the carrier Shovoda (or something like that). It said it is leaving port X and going to home port y and I should intercept and sink it. The star on the map is at port X. But when I leave port it will take me about 4 days to get to port X, and I assume it will be on it's way to port Y.

So, how in the heck in WW2 did a sub find the needle in the haystack, and locate a specific ship on it's way somewhere? There are many islands and the ship could go several ways... The mission description had a map and showed the star on the map, with a red dotted line of the target's path (i assume). Maybe I should just go and patrol the star on the map? Is that what you should always do, even though the mission description doesn't seem to indicate that?
Old 04-15-07, 11:16 PM   #30
Dirt_Dart
Nub

that was a great help
Dirt_Dart is offline   Reply With Quote