SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-17, 07:55 PM   #2491
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

"reduction" appears to be more of a rotation. With the Kuznetsov rotating out of Syria new ground attack aircraft rotate in. Same thing happened the last time, with fixed wing aircraft being replaced by additional helicopters and special forces operatiors. The change in the specifics of our deployment appears to depend on the various local conditions - such as weather or the overall military-political situation (or the need to combat test the carrier).

My assesment for the mid-term future is that we should expect one by one reduction of the smaller rebel enclaves in various areas, ie around the country's capital, not the all out drive onto the Iblib area (which btw lacks the major pre-war cities on the scale of Alleppo or Damascus). After all those enclaves are removed and the Assad's domain becomes more cohesive we could expect pushes elsewhere - be that ISIS or other rebels.

Long term effects are hard to predict - because in order to resolve it we need to find a political solution we can push through (especially with the local players). Such a solution would be hard to attain due to the different interests of the local players, but in my opinion a return to a situation close to the pre-war status que would work out for the majority of them.

Last edited by ikalugin; 01-15-17 at 08:04 PM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 10:44 PM   #2492
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Please tell me that they're going to finish the Kuznetsovs refit, he really does need it.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-17, 11:10 PM   #2493
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Ive been wondering for a while now. Is 'i' any relation to 'O'?
Old 01-16-17, 04:41 AM   #2494
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Please tell me that they're going to finish the Kuznetsovs refit, he really does need it.
He would go into the mid life repair now. Hopefully he would get new boilers.
Old 01-16-17, 07:14 AM   #2495
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Why pyrric victory? The objective never was to "save" the city in any meaning of the term, but to drive out the enemy. And the enemy is gone. That battle has seen a total victory with the victor now doing as he pleases, or not?
Well "the enemy" (woever it is apart from Daesh) can come back easily anytime, or not?

Quote:
... It seems to me Putin plans to keep Syria open ended and thus: instabile, so that he always will be needed by the regime, and he always can fall back to playing the Syria card, also against the West. ...
I agree.
Also: "A Kremlin spokesman said on Monday that Russia agreed with Mr Trump's evaluation of Nato, particularly that it had become obsolete, Russian news agency Interfax said."
Then i guess all is well and we can all be good friends

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 07:33 AM   #2496
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
He would go into the mid life repair now. Hopefully he would get new boilers.
Good, he really did not look healthy on the transit to the Med.
Old 01-16-17, 08:33 AM   #2497
Catfish

Quote:
This does not even look healthy when perfectly ok
http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...-panama-canal/
And i do not want to be aboard if it ever encounters a storm.

Old 01-16-17, 08:54 AM   #2498
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
You mean the black smoke?

It was the result of the boilers working in a non optimal mode. The current boilers on Kuznetsov use a hydrolic automatic control system, but that system is dead, so they are manually switched into a small number of narrow performance modes.

For obvious reasons those are optimised for the full power burns, meaning that at lower power settings the boilers loose efficiency and you get a lot of smoke.

(plus we use fuel oil aka mazut vs diesel)
Old 01-16-17, 09:24 AM   #2499
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Another thing - looks like we are further expanding our basing in Syria. It appears that there are 3 primary projects:
- Resupply point in Tartus being expanded to a naval base, with basing (piers) and repair (including midlife repair) fascilities to support major surface combatants (ie cruisers).
- Further expansion of Latakia airbase.
- Improving transportation between the two (with the new railroad).

Overall it appears that we plan to keep our stuff in Syria indefinetely, the agreements appear to allow that.
Old 01-16-17, 09:34 AM   #2500
Catfish

^ Skybird meant that Russia does not seem to partake in action against syrian Rebels, Kurds and terrorists like Daesh anymore, instead of finishing the 'job'.

He did not doubt Russia would stay to build and use some infrastructure in Syria for future russian military operations.

Old 01-16-17, 11:47 AM   #2501
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Been reading Kuznetsov's power plant specs. Stuff like that hasn't been seen in a modern navy since the 60's. I guess it wasnt really designed to project power abroad like U.S. carriers are though so effeciency probably not much of a concern. Sources did say that it was scheduled to come out fighting between 2017 and 2020 with either gas turbines or a nuclear power plant. But I tellya if government contract work in Russia is anything like what we have here in the U.S. it would probably be cheaper to invest in a new ship.
Old 01-16-17, 02:32 PM   #2502
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikalugin View Post
You mean the black smoke?

It was the result of the boilers working in a non optimal mode. The current boilers on Kuznetsov use a hydrolic automatic control system, but that system is dead, so they are manually switched into a small number of narrow performance modes.

For obvious reasons those are optimised for the full power burns, meaning that at lower power settings the boilers loose efficiency and you get a lot of smoke.

(plus we use fuel oil aka mazut vs diesel)
Is a power supply upgrade (or at least full overhaul) planned for the refit?
Old 01-16-17, 03:38 PM   #2503
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
^ Skybird meant that Russia does not seem to partake in action against syrian Rebels, Kurds and terrorists like Daesh anymore, instead of finishing the 'job'.
He did not doubt Russia would stay to build and use some infrastructure in Syria for future russian military operations.
And I said that we are not actually leaving but rather rotating. Which means that we would keep conducting operations against the various rebels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Been reading Kuznetsov's power plant specs. Stuff like that hasn't been seen in a modern navy since the 60's. I guess it wasnt really designed to project power abroad like U.S. carriers are though so effeciency probably not much of a concern. Sources did say that it was scheduled to come out fighting between 2017 and 2020 with either gas turbines or a nuclear power plant. But I tellya if government contract work in Russia is anything like what we have here in the U.S. it would probably be cheaper to invest in a new ship.
The control system for boilers is bust and we no longer have the skills to repair/maintain it b/c USSR went bust. Chinese just replaced the boilers alltogether. There are a lot of other things that piled up since it was accepted into service and I hope that they would all get fixed during the midlife repair.

Quote:
Is a power supply upgrade (or at least full overhaul) planned for the refit?
I don't remember seeing any official orders for it, but I would assume that we would change the boilers and do a lot of other work on Kuznetsov.

Last edited by ikalugin; 01-16-17 at 03:46 PM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-17, 05:59 PM   #2504
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Cool video of su-33s operating from the Kuznetsov. Noticed they are as we say in the maritime field 'light ship' (I dont know what a brown shoe calls it). With the future new air wing planned gonna need EMAL or steam catapults to get those wings loaded for ground attack off the deck.

Last edited by Rockstar; 01-16-17 at 07:21 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-17, 05:03 AM   #2505
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

There were flights of Su33s with strike weapons from Kuznetsov. But, yea, there were plenty of unarmed training flights as well.

Tags
terrorism