SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-07-11, 05:15 PM   #2356
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Sure not needed per say, As we can't see the deck from the scope .
Will see what IFRT comes up with and if needed I can try doing a the Views from 3D like in Black version above but in a penciled look that you posted (In the style of Doublefox)
perfect !

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 06:29 PM   #2357
IFRT-WHUFC
Engineer

Downloads: 374
Uploads: 0

Hi Guys,

Here a quick sil of HMS Anson

In game using makmans old GUI

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/dscf7489.jpg/

There's a good chance that I won't have all the ships that will be in the new mod but if I can get all the ships I currently have installed that would be a good start! Let me know what you guys think so far!

And yes makman it would be good if you can send me the current background for the new rec manual!!

Rick
IFRT-WHUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 12:34 PM   #2358
makman94
Hellas

Downloads: 182
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFRT-WHUFC View Post
Hi Guys,

Here a quick sil of HMS Anson

In game using makmans old GUI

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/dscf7489.jpg/

There's a good chance that I won't have all the ships that will be in the new mod but if I can get all the ships I currently have installed that would be a good start! Let me know what you guys think so far!

And yes makman it would be good if you can send me the current background for the new rec manual!!

Rick
hi Rick,
thank you for your offer

i will send you a pm (preparing it) with details such as we want the rec manual to look.check your pms

bye

Mediafire page:http://www.mediafire.com/folder/da50.../Makman94_Mods
makman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 06:48 PM   #2359
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3232

Quote:
Originally Posted by makman94 View Post
hi Rick,
thank you for your offer

i will send you a pm (preparing it) with details such as we want the rec manual to look.check your pms

bye
Hi. Makman: I´m preparing a selection of articles and images of WWII warships for HAHD; there are some pretty color images of ships for the rec manual. I think the color can be changed with PainNet to a white-grey for rec manual.

Also I have the original 40' Weyers, I can scan some images from the manual.

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

P.D.: Also I´ll include images from an original book by Kaleun Schepke about the U boat life on board, with designs of the author, for add in the interfaces, if you like it.

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-11, 10:23 PM   #2360
Mate

Downloads: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Witteman View Post
Hi shipmates,

There some real improvement in my wrist but it is still too fragile to resume serious work, after holding the mouse for more than an hour the pain come back instantly.

I saw on a website that a severe tendinitis cause by repetitive movement like using a mouse can take up to 8 weeks to fully heal but the worst part mention that often causing the same repetitive task that cause it to come back more often!

So now it is my second week without using it and this morning i read on 3d forum where i go from time to time that some artists use a software that turn a gamepad into a keyboard&mouse solution.

I just download the software and will do some test with it my only concern is the cursor precision and i doubt it could be as precise as a mouse can be.

Best regards Hans
You need to get a trackball mouse- yes thy are expensive, but 60-80 pounds for a healthy hand is not too much I think I wholeheartedly recommend Kensington Slimblade- I have similar symptoms to yours and since I bought it my condition is completely under control (I can easily spend 10 hours at a pc with it, but immediatly feel discmofort with ordinary mouse). It is very ergonomic- your hand/wrist never need to move/strain, fingers flick the ball for very fast cursor movement across the screen, while the thumb does the clicking (the LM button is "perpendicular to the thumb joint, RM button is under the pinkie - feels very healthy, and the click is soft and very healthy feeling again). The mouse is very precise too, more so than a traditional mouse for design, drawing, word processor, silent hunter etc .

If you read reviews on it (on amazon) you will most complaints were about its software, the actual ergonomics and hardware of the mouse is as good as there is. (And even software problem was resolved when kensington released an update sometime last year.)

Wishing you the very best of health and "sink them all"!
89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 12:18 AM   #2361
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Downloads: 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 View Post
You need to get a trackball mouse- yes thy are expensive, but 60-80 pounds for a healthy hand is not too much I think I wholeheartedly recommend Kensington Slimblade- I have similar symptoms to yours and since I bought it my condition is completely under control (I can easily spend 10 hours at a pc with it, but immediatly feel discmofort with ordinary mouse). It is very ergonomic- your hand/wrist never need to move/strain, fingers flick the ball for very fast cursor movement across the screen, while the thumb does the clicking (the LM button is "perpendicular to the thumb joint, RM button is under the pinkie - feels very healthy, and the click is soft and very healthy feeling again). The mouse is very precise too, more so than a traditional mouse for design, drawing, word processor, silent hunter etc .

If you read reviews on it (on amazon) you will most complaints were about its software, the actual ergonomics and hardware of the mouse is as good as there is. (And even software problem was resolved when kensington released an update sometime last year.)

Wishing you the very best of health and "sink them all"!
Hi mate,

Thank for the tip but in the past i remember i bought one, a Logitech and i had hard time pointing the cursor with precision and also i am afraid that i can get another rsi on the thumb for moving it too much.

I saw a vertical mouse and many seem to say it solved their problem but other mention that rsi came back after awhile so it is pretty hard to know which one to go for.

I am also looking at Wacom intuos 4 and some colleagues of mine are swearing only by it and said their pain went away and never came back.

I never tough for one second that i would look at my mouse as a torture instrument and now i do.

Since i am very fast and experience in modeling and texturing it maybe the culprit of all my problem because i do a lot of tricky move with that 9 mouse buttons.

Oh well i guess i have no other choice then to wait for complete healing.

Best regards Hans

Hans Witteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 06:58 AM   #2362
BUKER
中国水兵

Downloads: 401

Hi Hans,

As a man in the desert dreaming of the pharynx of water and I dream to see at least a few new screenshots of U-boat.

Hans did not give a traveler dying of thirst ....
Old 11-10-11, 10:59 AM   #2363
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUKER View Post
Hi Hans,

As a man in the desert dreaming of the pharynx of water and I dream to see at least a few new screenshots of U-boat.

Hans did not give a traveler dying of thirst ....
Hi mate,

Sorry to disappoint but for the moment health is a priority because i feel my all career is at stake here if i don't solve that rsi problem.

RSI stand for repetitive strain injury and this is becoming a major problem for studio and company because our scientists don't seem to find a modern and healthy interface between us and the computer.

I never tough about rsi before and when you start to have it you realize how problematic it is.

It is affecting more and more people even young men have it.

Best regards Hans

Old 11-10-11, 02:35 PM   #2364
Mate

Quote:
Hi mate,

Thank for the tip but in the past i remember i bought one, a Logitech and i had hard time pointing the cursor with precision and also i am afraid that i can get another rsi on the thumb for moving it too much.

I saw a vertical mouse and many seem to say it solved their problem but other mention that rsi came back after awhile so it is pretty hard to know which one to go for.

I am also looking at Wacom intuos 4 and some colleagues of mine are swearing only by it and said their pain went away and never came back.

I never tough for one second that i would look at my mouse as a torture instrument and now i do.

Since i am very fast and experience in modeling and texturing it maybe the culprit of all my problem because i do a lot of tricky move with that 9 mouse buttons.

Best regards Hans
While you wait for complete healing I once again recommend the SLimblade, you mention that you had previous experience with trackball mouse, but yours was a thumb trackball. Slimblade has a ball of a size of a pool ball, and it is controlled not by the thumb, but by the index,middle and forth fingers (thumb and pinkie press the buttons). Because index finger much more accurate than a thumb, the precision and quickness of this solution is much better than on a thumb trackball- its a totally different ball game (no pun intended). Also index finger, middle and fourth are much more adapt at the motion that is required for controlling the ball than a thumb for which such action is unnatural. Plus, slimblade's ball is much bigger which means that fingers do not need to strain as much as their motions are bigger, no need to tense them while making small changes on a small trackball. Remember that RSI is result of repeated unnatural motion (like clicking or thumb tracking), natural motion of fingers is ok.

So it is healthier/more natural and more precise/quick than thumb trackballs. It is much cheaper than Wacom intuos 4.And I recommend for you to visit your PC World or some other computer shop and feel it. Or just buy it with an option to return or to sell on ebay

Picture speaks a thousand words- see here for slimblade in action, :

I'm just trying to help because just waiting for rsi to disappear enough for you to get back to old habits and old mice can take a lifetime;(
Old 11-10-11, 03:28 PM   #2365
reaper7
sim2reality

Downloads: 258
Uploads: 30

Another option the 3M Optical Ergonomic Mouse.
Designed for RSI Injuries. Also known as a Anir mouse.
Percison is the same as base is basically a standard mouse, the shaft is what prevents RSI Strain due to wrist angle and finger tendons when in use, when using normal mouse.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Optical-E...0956711&sr=8-3

No jokes about what it looks like

reaper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-11, 06:05 PM   #2366
TheBeast
The Old Man

Downloads: 876
Uploads: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper7 View Post
Another option the 3M Optical Ergonomic Mouse.
Designed for RSI Injuries. Also known as a Anir mouse.
Percison is the same as base is basically a standard mouse, the shaft is what prevents RSI Strain due to wrist angle and finger tendons when in use, when using normal mouse.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Optical-E...0956711&sr=8-3

No jokes about what it looks like

Natural grip position.

Some people may start smashing it on the desk top out of habbit.

LOL

SHIV-MediaFire | SHV-MediaFire
TheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-11, 08:37 AM   #2367
Mate

Quote:
Hi mate,

Best regards Hans
Oh, another little know-how from my experience with rsi: natural wool gloves help to alleviate rsi discomfort. But it needs to be good quality wool - angora or something like that. Wool improves blood flow (medical fact), but the main thing is that your hands feel much better when there is a layer of wool between cold plastic of a mouse and your skin - try it. Working in warm room would help as well, but with good wool gloves hands instantly feel better. Hands heal quicker in them too, so wear them until you get improvement at least.

Lastly, I found exercise to be hugely beneficial- every morning before breakfast I walk a dog for about 40 minutes and do about 10 series of pull ups (so its 10x10) on a bar in my local park. Pull ups are great because they strengthen and stretch fingers and wrists.

So, to sum up: slimblade trackball ( not thumb trackball) mouse, good quality wool gloves (not £5 ebay ones that only say "100% wool"), pull ups to stretch and strengthen your hands.

Please share if you come across another effective method to cope with rsi, I will subscribe to this thread.

Very best wishes!
Old 11-15-11, 05:15 PM   #2368
Hans Witteman
Kaleun of U-3

Default Update

Hi shipmates,

Wrist is slowly getting better but is still very fragile so i do absolutely nothing to avoid any further complications.

The good news is that Makman and reaper are working very hard in the background with other members to give you the best campaign and AI possible for SH3 with some features that were though to be impossible to achieve.

The bad news is that my wrist condition has jeopardize our Christmas target date release but at least a lot of work is still going on in the background.

Rushing a release is never a good idea and we will launch it when thing are all setup and working fine but you can rest assure that U-BOOT_HAHD Atlantic predators will give you a hell of a ride, it will be almost like a complete new game with ton of features never before seen.

So hold on good thing always come to the one who are patient.

Best regards Hans

Old 11-15-11, 05:24 PM   #2369
Fish In The Water
Prince of
the Sea

SUBSIM
Welcome
Committee

Downloads: 98
Uploads: 2

Thanks for the update mate and best wishes for a full recovery. As much as we'd love to have you well right now, at least we know your passion still burns bright and you'll more than make up for it when you return.

Take care, and not to worry, as we're keeping the captain's chair warm for you.

Fish In The Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-11, 05:56 PM   #2370
Schwieger
Commodore

Downloads: 62

Glad to see an update here But please take your time and get well Hans, don't worry about a release by Christmas

Support U-Boot_HAHD: Install Dropbox Click Here & Increase The Teams Dropbox space and get 2.25GB of free online Storage space for yourself.
Schwieger is offline   Reply With Quote