SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-16, 06:32 PM   #1861
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
ook some of the mods that I have out, but nothing of them gets over-written, so unless you have something not in SAR, you should be fine
Thanks, pb. Not unexpected on my part, the Museum still gives me a CTD when I try to start it. I did a complete new install of everything including the Documents folder and still no change. Oh well, I gave it a shot.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 07:10 PM   #1862
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

I can still do the Museum AND do a Campaign immediately afterwards... Ahm-a tellin ya... it's the install and the pc... maybe

In the American slot for the Museum, in the Airplanes, they list a "Hellcat", which would be F6F Hellcat, but it appears to actually be an F4F Wildcat. The Wildcat's landing gear retracted into the fuselage, and was exposed. The airplane was rather ungainly looking, with stubby wings, but was a workhorse. The Hellcat's landing gear retracted into the wings, and was partially covered. A more graceful looking plane, but not quite as pretty as a Corsair or a Mustang. That is the extent of my airplane "knowledge", other than the Lightning appears to be a bit on the thin side, and the UK Mosquito appears perhaps a bit pudgy. (I used to have models of all of those planes hanging from the ceiling in my bedroom.) Other than that, the Museum does OK. However, I do notice a "pause" going from ship to ship, and I'm guessing that's the imported ships.

Are there a few imports in the American BB class Jeff-Groves? There's also a few lurches elsewhere, especially in the German ships. Now, when you say:
Quote:
A bump map texture could be slightly smaller then the main texture.

AO mapping is not possible until a new exporter is created.
Well it is possible if you want to export every part, then import them into a 3D program and set them in the proper position.
Then burn the map, export every part and reimport each and every one.
The bump mapping might be something that max-peck could do? While the AO mapping is beyond the realm of sanity?

I'm going back to looking through text files for clues...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 07:21 PM   #1863
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

I scanned all the Sea folders and only that one folder has the 2 dat files and such.

No American imports of the BB Class in my Suspect list.

I did a quick Bump map for the Bismark.
I really need to practice that more to get a good one but it works.

Having got the Bismark working fine I can now go after the others.
Took me a bit to get back into the swing of things so speed should pick up now.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 07:23 PM   #1864
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
I scanned all the Sea folders and only that one folder has the 2 dat files and such.

No American imports of the BB Class in my Suspect list.
Oh well. Are their files bigger than the others by a good bit then? I can actually go see that myself... Thanks

@cdrsubron7 - say, do you by chance happen to have max-peck's modified Patrol Objectives mod installed? How 'bout XTBilly's Ultimate Ship Acceleration mod?... Not that there's a problem there, just to compare our installs while looking at the 100 destroyers phenomenon...

Old 09-12-16, 07:45 PM   #1865
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
@cdrsubron7 - say, do you by chance happen to have max-peck's modified Patrol Objectives mod installed? How 'bout XTBilly's Ultimate Ship Acceleration mod?... Not that there's a problem there, just to compare our installs while looking at the 100 destroyers phenomenon...
Affirmative.......

Here's a look at what my JSGME looks like, PB.

Old 09-12-16, 07:56 PM   #1866
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

I've been running a few experiments tonight with the diffrent supermods installed on my computer. Below is a list of the mods I've got up and running and which ones run the Museum without a hitch.

FOTRSU - No

FOTRSU v2.0 (v1.4) - No

Operation Monsun - No

TMO_RSRDC - Yes

RFB - Yes

V1.5 - Yes

SH3 - Yes

So it would seem that all is not wrong with my computer.

Old 09-12-16, 08:15 PM   #1867
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

I still say if 24 Suspect Units imported to a Stock Version crashes?
It's the Units not the computer.

I have no idea why it works on your older system unless it's a 32 bit compared to a 64 bit issue.
Bottom line is that it can be fixed and needs to be fixed.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-16, 08:25 PM   #1868
propbeanie

Well, I just did me some "Performance Monitor" running on Windows 7-64, and FotRSU - as it stands now - is a killer, computer killer that is... Standing at idle on the menu, it's using over a gig of ram, in the neighborhood of 1.5, up and down. When you click on a menu item, it'll go up to 4 on my machine. I imagine it'd hit the limit and hold for a few on a 2 gig machine.

When I did the Museum, while it loaded, it hung around the 1.9-2.0 gig range. As soon as it displayed the Iowa, /UP/ it went to 2.5 gig. Settled back down to about 2.1-2.2 range, until I clicked for the next ship, and it spiked almost to 5, came back down to the same general area. As I left it sit, I watched it gradually increase in useage of ram. Not bad, but by the time I finally exited, it was up around the 3 gig area and still climbing. Either it's got a small leak, or it's not unloading stuff as it goes (same difference).

When I went back to the menu, it took it a good 10-12 seconds to come back down to about the 2.5 range. I then started a Quick Mission that AOTD_MadMax used with the Nagato & Bismark vs 4 Ally BBs, and the ram useage went up to about 4 as it loaded, then actually dropped back down below 2 gig, but it would still spike up to 3, go down to 1...

Back out at the menu, it was back to it's initial 1.5 gig useage. It is definitely a resource hog, and does have memory issues. Hopefully, what Jeff-Groves is doing will improve that. I'll bet as it is now, things get loaded by the Museum that aren't used, and maybe aren't getting unloaded until the Museum is closed. If those ships are encountered in a mission, you might end up running out of ram. Dunno though, I don't have the "good stuff" or skills to look at stuff like that. I do remember doing that in school, but we were using our source code... much easier (and more accurate) to check it there.

Old 09-12-16, 09:04 PM   #1869
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Just got done playing or testing your mod Capn, and have a couple of questions.

First one is the Compass Bearing supposed to look like this when you on the bridge using the binoculars?

I've never seen the sub marker in FOTRS, did it slip in by mistake?

Old 09-12-16, 09:16 PM   #1870
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

It's getting kinda late for tonight, but tomorrow since it's my last day of vacation I'm going to start looking at the Special Missions folder and see what can be eliminated.

Old 09-12-16, 11:15 PM   #1871
propbeanie

I'm finding all sorts of stuff in the Campaign mission files, but not much I recognize

One thing I do recognize is that some of the MIS files do "set" the weather but I have no idea as to how that affects things. Is it like a placeholder? Most of the ones I've seen with that in there have everything set to zero (0), which I assume is perfectly clear, perfectly calm...

Edit: I am more perplexed now than I was when I started... I've noodled with the ME making my own missions (which I barely thought about the workings of before), and then trying to figure out what the text is telling me when I look at it in NotePad. Very strange. If I put a ship in with just one waypoint, there'll be six in the text file. Only one shows in the ME. If I set four waypoints, there's six - so that must be a "default" minimum... One thing *very* confusing is the "-1" in the "Loop" line. "-1" apparently means "NO", even though the probability says "100"... If you want the ship to go back to the first waypoint, why that's "0", since the game counts to ten from zero, stopping at nine... like a computer. One thing I'm reasonably sure of is that "-1" means "NO"... but I'm not sure. I'll have to do some more with the Random Units...

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-13-16 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-13-16, 08:21 AM   #1872
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7 View Post
Here's a look at what my JSGME looks like,

In your order of mods, remove the "FOTRS Addon Ships". The Addon ships are in the "FOTRS AIR_SHIP_SOUND_2" mod (directions are in the README?).

As for the other mods you've listed, you're on your own.

What's "1"??
and why add Websters Air mod?

To test basic FOTRS, I'd just run FOTRS mods (making sure that they don't overwrite others unless you're sure the overwrite doesn't effect the previous mod adversely). Since some of the FOTRS mods were made before the core is finished I'd be careful with thinking you can load up a half dozen mods and expect them to work as expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrsubron7
I've been running a few experiments tonight with the diffrent supermods installed on my computer. Below is a list of the mods I've got up and running and which ones run the Museum without a hitch.

FOTRSU - No

FOTRSU v2.0 (v1.4) - No

TMO_RSRDC - Yes
I know for a fact TMO with RSRDC will CTD if you try to open several specific units within the Museum. It may start, but you won't get through the entire list without going back to windows.

Run the FOTRS v.1Beta and just FOTRS AIR_SHIP_SOUND_2 together.....nothing else (clear out your "SH4" folder too before starting). What do you get?

Quote:
....is the Compass Bearing supposed to look like this when you on the bridge using the binoculars?

Nope, as I said several posts back, I tried to get the Binocular Compass to work on your resolution....if its not possible, I'll change it back if others see the same at their higher resolutions. I can't rule out one of your list of mods isn't interfering either. If the "menu_1024_768.ini" file is being overwritten by another mod, the attempt to move the compass is toast.

Quote:
I've never seen the sub marker in FOTRS, did it slip in by mistake?
No. The U-mark is back in the game.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 09-13-16 at 08:35 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 09:17 AM   #1873
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

I don't know if you guys have another private forum, but if not, at this point I would strongly suggest that at least you split the discussion here in different threads, so as to make easier locating things later for reference and following the progress. Threads for campaign, sensors, units, interface, etc. would make things easier, both to work and for feedback.
Old 09-13-16, 09:49 AM   #1874
propbeanie

Mine looks fine

Running at 1280x1024.

CapnScurvy, that "1" that cdrsubron7 has is for the "AI Difficulty Setting", of which there are 5 to choose from that FloridaSailor did. That's somewhere in the FotRSU Google complex...

That is a nice idea HitMan. It would have been nice if we would have thought of it sooner ... maybe a sub-forum of a sub-forum... but some of the current postings meander into multiple subjects ... 'course, those could be split into several pieces... It's especially something to think of for the future modders.

Old 09-13-16, 10:43 AM   #1875
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Mine looks fine

Running at 1280x1024.
Thanks for posting Propbeanie, but no that's not right either. The compass on the binoculars should stay up where the small vertical line is at the top/center of the view rim. Yours is doing a double image, instead of a triple like cdrsubron7's (he's using a much larger resolution). The compass is lower than it should be too. So much for my efforts.....I'll put it back with my next modification.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 09-13-16 at 11:21 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote