SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-08-16, 12:42 PM   #1771
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

I am looking for those Units you have Hitman.
Not sure if they were uploaded yet or not.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 12:51 PM   #1772
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

I just encountered another sound issue, like myself, RR & cdrsubron7 have before. You're on the surface traveling, and TC has been used. The radar operator comes on and says "radar contact". The sound of hissing water, like you're 20,000 leagues under the sea, and a pipe burst, or a seam in the pressure hull gave way, fills your ears, but not your boat. There is no sign of leaking water on the boat, just the sound, and (so far for me) only after an air radar contact report...

There are no added active radar units on this boat, just the default air search. FotRS draws the airplane on the chart - sometimes - and when it does, it's just for a flash. The sound issue only pops up every once in a while. Nothing consistent about it. -BUT- I'm wondering about the particular airplane that's involved, especially if it's an import from SHIII? Is it possible that the plane might be the 'trigger'? Time Compression, especially above 32x can mess with the sound, and the higher the TC used, the worse it can be. Yet, other times, no troubles after 4096. No rhyme nor reason...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 12:57 PM   #1773
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 131

You want a list of suspect imports of Aircraft?
That way you could do a test mission with a stock Unit and a suspect Unit.
Main reason I ask is that many Units don't have the UnifiedRender controller.
That file controls the LOD settings also.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 09-08-16 at 01:06 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 03:52 PM   #1774
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Got the beta downloaded.
I suspect I should go through the Units and correct any that are not to SH4 standards 1st?

By that I mean the Units that do not have the proper render controllers and such.
Yes, perfect! We're also interested in the roster list that assigns the names, so we don't have to change the file name but can change the ship name. That will be important for the Maru mod and other name changing mods.

Thanks for your help, Jeff. Welcome aboard. You have free access to the ice cream machine.

Now, some of your stuff will go in the core mod--the error fixes that don't change ship names and just make ships (and planes?) come up to SH4
standards.

I'm about to make a change in directory structure. We'll have a core mod some assembly required directory and a plugin some assembly required directory. No contents will be changed or moved.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 04:33 PM   #1775
propbeanie

Quote:
You want a list of suspect imports of Aircraft?
That way you could do a test mission with a stock Unit and a suspect Unit.
Main reason I ask is that many Units don't have the UnifiedRender controller.
That file controls the LOD settings also.
I would definitely appreciate that Jeff-Groves. Might be able to "nail" the cause...

Old 09-08-16, 08:44 PM   #1776
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
I am looking for those Units you have Hitman.
Not sure if they were uploaded yet or not.
They are now. They're in the WIP folder under the name "Hitman's Ships"

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 09:19 PM   #1777
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Nuff said FOTRS Ultimate will be a killer, looking forward to seeing it complete

Any chance of getting Nisgeis radar mod as compatible plug-in?
CapnScurvy was working on radar & sonar (in addition to a few other things...), but I'm not sure which avenue he's driving in on. Maybe RR can enlighten?...

Old 09-08-16, 09:30 PM   #1778
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Nuff said FOTRS Ultimate will be a killer, looking forward to seeing it complete

Any chance of getting Nisgeis radar mod as compatible plug-in?
That could be really cool! He made a 3d TDC that would be really great too.
Old 09-09-16, 04:33 AM   #1779
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109

Quote:
That could be really cool! He made a 3d TDC that would be really great too
Yes that is the one I was referring to. It worked for Gato and derivates that shared that interior (You can force all subs to use one interior, but the Gato one looks out of place in the S-class or Porpoise f.e.), and it was a sim inside the sim. It would be awesome to have it as option plug in for those submarines. For the rest and as default, I guess CaptnScurvy will go with the range scales painted in the radar screen, which is the most operative solution.

Quote:
They're in the WIP folder under the name "Hitman's Ships"
I worked hard in those ships as I was still learning about 3D. I really wanted to see them in game - well actually to sink them
Old 09-09-16, 07:21 AM   #1780
propbeanie

I have a few questions for Jeff-Groves or Webster, or anyone. The numbers in each of the little boats sim files, for LR, UD, etc., or any of the propeller settings. Do you know if some or all of those settings are "percentage" settings? What I've got right now is both style boats sitting nicely in the water in medium seas, bobbing almost realistically, looking good... However, I've got a Single Mission where I put 3 rafts and 3 life boats (#2) in, all facing 270 West with waypoints. The lifeboats all look and move fine, though they exhibit some of the same travel movement issue as the rafts. Of the three rafts, no matter the last few settings changes I've made, all three individually act the same way each time I've run the mission. The first one dumps its occupants almost immediately. Every time thus far. The second one travels West and looks good, moving at what appears to be an appropriate speed. The third one goes East, backwards to the way it's being paddled for the first five minutes or so, then goes West for a while. All three of the #2 lifeboats seem to pause at times, but I've not seen any "backwards" movement like of the third life raft. Would their purposeful placement and use in the mission make a difference in their "seaworthy" behavior and movements?

Edit: When I take out the waypoints in the Single Mission file, then the lifeboats all sit still, paddling away for nothing, but the one life raft still dumps its passengers... I think I'll put the waypoints back in, and make them come to my boat for "rescue"...

Last edited by propbeanie; 09-09-16 at 07:36 AM. Reason: no waypoints
Old 09-09-16, 09:04 AM   #1781
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
J

Hey CapnScurvy! Haven't heard from you in awhile! Everything okay with you?
Yep, still kicking.

I'm just getting back into modding. Too many things going of late. My wife and I returned from a good visit to her sister in New Haven Conn. We visited the finished 9/11 Museum in NY.....quite a great tribute, they left nothing out! Also dropped a couple bucks up in Saratoga at the horse track.

Fall being just around the corner, I've been contending with my farm duties now that we're home.

Not to mention my second computer is in need of a video card. The thing heats up because the fan isn't spinning, then shuts off. Bought a new one along with a new power supply, but that video card was dead on arrival! So I've sent it back, waiting on their refund before adding another GPU. I'd like to use this computer for testing since it provides the wide screen resolutions and greater memory speed then my XP modding computer.

Stuff happin's!!

I've got the Museum showing all assets correctly; sounds are good for all; no plane takes a nose dive after a couple of minutes of flying. But, there does seem to be a problem on my older computer that I'm hoping to look at with the other computer (when it gets fixed). The Museum takes about 5 minutes to load with my older computer.....it takes forever, but it does finally load. Going through the assets all run fine (except the American subs which FOTRS removed for some reason).

The issue on my older, maximum 2gig memory computer is that when I leave the Museum, then start a Campaign mission from the Main Menu page.....the computer CTD's just before the mission opens with the Command Room view of the sub. It's like the Museum is still using most of my memory and there isn't enough to start a Campaign Mission. I say this because IF I exit the game, restart it, then go to a Campaign Mission.....I'm off to the races......no issue at all. I'm suspecting there wouldn't be an issue with my faster computer, but I'll have to wait until I get it fixed.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 10:59 AM   #1782
Navigator857
CTR2 Jack Frost

Downloads: 290

You guys have been bustin humps with this project and we all very much appreciate the hard work. Was curious if there is a possible Beta time frame in mind yet or is this still considered an Alpha build.

Jack

by....ME / QM3 Jack Frost, USS IOWA BB61 - Precom 1983 - 1987 / CTR2 Jack Frost - NSGA Northwest Chesapeake, VA. 1987 - 1994!
Navigator857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 11:53 AM   #1783
propbeanie

CapnScurvy, with what I have now in FotRS UE, on my little 2gig dual-core machine, it won't even try to load a Campaign file after using the Museum, but I can do a Quick (Single) Mission, which take a bit more to load, then go back and sometimes get into the Campaign - but not always. I'd just thought it was my machine.

I just checked the 8gig quad-core and all is fine after using the Museum. The little machine is probably a bit slower in releasing the resources that the Museum used, or else you've got a little something "extra" in the changes you've made...

Old 09-09-16, 12:19 PM   #1784
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator857 View Post
You guys have been bustin humps with this project and we all very much appreciate the hard work. Was curious if there is a possible Beta time frame in mind yet or is this still considered an Alpha build.

Jack
Hi Jack

We are in a Beta version now, but there are many projects being worked on at the moment and they will need to be tested and added to the core of the game before we release anything to be tested by people. So no, there is no time frame yet.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-16, 01:33 PM   #1785
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Unless there is something really big missing after the next cauldron run we'll make beta 0.2 available for testing, but it will initially be a closed test. My goal is open testing for beta v0.3.

We just don't want to release anything before we are sure that it works well and can specify minimum computer specs for the job. We're not interested in repeating the problems of the original FOTRS where too many glaring errors led to a reputation of being half-baked.

This project seems like it's taking a long time but it's still being published in less time than any supermod ever has. Sorry to make everybody wait. I suppose we could have done our work in a private forum but that's not how I roll. When you hide things people assume you have something to hide. We don't!