SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-23, 02:54 PM   #526
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0

We embrace and accept the laws of Thermodynamics at Subsim.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-23, 03:02 PM   #527
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
We embrace and accept the laws of Thermodynamics at Subsim.
It's been so long that I forget those.
Old 09-15-23, 03:33 PM   #528
August
Wayfaring Stranger

I have several different first aid kits adapted for different applications.

All of the kits have the basic set of first aid supplies such as band-aids, salves, aspirin, antacid tablets and whatnot, but depending on what i'm using it for I'll add some extra items to cover the specific ailments I am likely to encounter.

For example the first aid kit that goes in my shooting range bag also has gunshot trauma items like Army field dressings, vented chest seals and a tourniquet in case anyone gets accidentally ventilated.

The kit that lives in the rack box of my ATV on the other hand has different trauma items like an inflatable splint for broken bones, ace bandages for sprains, bottled water for dehydration, a snake bite kit, some Benedryl, a space blanket and even a silly looking folding wide brimmed sun hat for shade from the hot burning sun.

The kit I keep in the truck is a bit larger with more of the basics as well as similar trauma items to what is found in the other kits. In the winter it also includes stuff like a sleeping bag, mittens and hat, flashlight, candle heater and some hard candy in case I get stranded out in East Jesus somewhere in a repeat of the Blizzard of '78.

The first aid kits for the house and cabin, being stationary have even larger quantities of the basics.

From Avalanche to Artillery Barrage I try to stay prepared for it.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-23, 03:58 AM   #529
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Have secured about a pound of pre 1933 goodness in my prepper kit.

Somebody should really introduce ammo with silver bullets instead of lead. You could then sell all your silver, and just keep ammo cutting your storage weight significantly.

Last edited by em2nought; 11-13-23 at 06:27 AM. Reason: bright shiny idea LOL
em2nought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-23, 11:50 AM   #530
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Steve1989-a-palooza.
Old 11-19-23, 01:22 PM   #531
ET2SN
ET2/SS

I'm only adding this because its Steve Recommended.

https://www.mre-empire.com/

I've never ordered from them and have no experience with the LLC.
That said, they're based in the (post-BREXIT) UK and you should anticipate some random hassles with Customs, due to what's being shipped.
Also understand, modern MREs tend to stay shelf stable for only a couple of years even if stored in a cool, dry environment.
Stuff that's on sale at 90% off, there's a good reason that's easy to figure out.

Bon Appetit and BOMBS AWAY!
Old 11-19-23, 01:40 PM   #532
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post

Somebody should really introduce ammo with silver bullets instead of lead. You could then sell all your silver, and just keep ammo cutting your storage weight significantly.

Melt down granny’s silver set then cast your own silver boolits and load the ammo yourself. It’s easy to do, no rocket science required. You can pick-up a press, reloading dies, and boolit mold for under 250 dollars. If you shoot a lot it pays for itself fairly quick using Starline brass you could reuse their straight case brass easily 3-5 times before worrying about the case cracking (depends on powder charge and annealing process). Expendables like powder, cartridge cases, primers the price will go up a little more.

On a more serious note unless you’re hunting werewolves silver may not be the best metal to shoot through the barrel anyway. Best brinell hardness of the boolit depends on the powder charge and muzzle velocities achieved with the gun you’re shooting. Too soft or hard and the barrel might lead up.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 11-19-23 at 01:52 PM.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-23, 02:38 PM   #533
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
I'm only adding this because its Steve Recommended.

https://www.mre-empire.com/

I've never ordered from them and have no experience with the LLC.
That said, they're based in the (post-BREXIT) UK and you should anticipate some random hassles with Customs, due to what's being shipped.
Also understand, modern MREs tend to stay shelf stable for only a couple of years even if stored in a cool, dry environment.
Stuff that's on sale at 90% off, there's a good reason that's easy to figure out.

Bon Appetit and BOMBS AWAY!

Price pretty good for US MREs if you're in the UK. Though, if you're in the US try to find a different supplier. With shipping for me it's about a $110 markup from what they cost.

If you have US military base access you can find them at the commissary on base. Usually 120$ a case.

Civ side, you can find them 130-150 a case.

I pick up a case before long camping trips. Theyre good camp food.
Old 11-19-23, 02:48 PM   #534
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Or, show up at an Open House on a base and see what they're giving away.

I had a serious Jones for Corn Flake Bars from the mid-70's and early 80's until they were replaced.

Old 02-11-24, 10:22 PM   #535
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post

On a more serious note unless you’re hunting werewolves silver may not be the best metal to shoot through the barrel anyway. Best brinell hardness of the boolit depends on the powder charge and muzzle velocities achieved with the gun you’re shooting. Too soft or hard and the barrel might lead up.
I'd probably only use silver in the SHTF ammo, not the practice ammo.

On a different note, I wonder what everyone thinks of this indoor/outdoor heater & cook stove? Might be living in a van during some nasty weather while following those blades around. https://www.mypatriotsupply.com/prod...t-cooking-fuel
Old 02-12-24, 02:52 AM   #536
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Would prefer my rocket stove, no dependency on those burning paste cartridges. A rocket stove burns just any dry biomass without setting the place ablaze. Not for indoor use though.
Old 02-21-24, 12:51 AM   #537
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Would prefer my rocket stove, no dependency on those burning paste cartridges. A rocket stove burns just any dry biomass without setting the place ablaze. Not for indoor use though.
I intend to make a rocket stove when I'm living near my buddy who has some welding skills.

For people in the USA with Ollie's Outlets in their state, I just picked up a large 50 ounce can of Campbell's Chili con Carne for $2.49 that has a March 2025 date. It has a huge number of 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch chunks of meat in it. Probably half the can is meat, and it's listed as the first ingredient on the can. I'm going to stock up on a few of these as they'd be good for on the road in remote locations, and to add to the short duration prepper pantry.
Old 02-21-24, 01:53 AM   #538
ET2SN
ET2/SS

If they can smell you in the next county, just how "Prepper" is it?
Old 02-21-24, 03:32 AM   #539
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I intend to make a rocket stove when I'm living near my buddy who has some welding skills.

For people in the USA with Ollie's Outlets in their state, I just picked up a large 50 ounce can of Campbell's Chili con Carne for $2.49 that has a March 2025 date. It has a huge number of 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch chunks of meat in it. Probably half the can is meat, and it's listed as the first ingredient on the can. I'm going to stock up on a few of these as they'd be good for on the road in remote locations, and to add to the short duration prepper pantry.
If tthey make the tin of good quality, it should last many years longer than the printed date. If it does not, then better avoid eating it even within the printed date.
Old 02-21-24, 05:02 AM   #540
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Something I've been working with:

These packs are pretty cheap and are room temperature shelf stable for at least a year.
The package says "for the microwave" but you can also pan fry it after adding 2 TBSPs of water. You can find this stuff in most North American grocery stores. There are many different flavors (wild, oriental, Spanish, etc.) so no worries about getting bored. Also, a neat "filler" for stuff like canned or dehydrated meals or soups.

The package is a thick, strong plastic with a gusseted bottom, so you can take it outdoors.

I'd like to report on how they hold up over the long term, but they don't stay on my shelf too long.

So, what's the difference between this and good old dry rice? Water and time. You just need to heat it up and, at most, add a little water.

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival