SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-20-22, 02:38 PM   #1
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
He initially served as a cadet with Zodiac Maritime before joining Holland America, then tried his hand at skippering small buoy repair boats for UK Dredging, moving on to teaching at South Shields Marine and Technical College.

He is currently doing his final months training as a Pilot for the Port of Tees and expects to retire in ten or so years time but if I know my son, I reckon the mega salary will fast become his God

If you can be bothered I'd suggest you read the link below (only eleven pages long) where you can catch up on most of his career.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...ght=young+buna

I have to say Jim how the heck did I miss that thread! those pictures from Alaska are super cool, I haven't been up there (yet) but would love to go and see it from a ship.

I have to admit I am slightly jealous too, looks like he has had so many adventures.

I do have one question though why on earth a ferry to Belfast? I do hear stena is a good company and I have dealt with them but Belfast

Glad he is getting on with his career and that he has achieved Master Mariner !

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-22, 06:32 AM   #2
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
I have to say Jim how the heck did I miss that thread! those pictures from Alaska are super cool, I haven't been up there (yet) but would love to go and see it from a ship.

I have to admit I am slightly jealous too, looks like he has had so many adventures.

I do have one question though why on earth a ferry to Belfast? I do hear stena is a good company and I have dealt with them but Belfast

Glad he is getting on with his career and that he has achieved Master Mariner !
Regarding the ferry question....that is precisely what I asked him at the time and he said that job as well as all the others since leaving Holland America were just 'fill-ins' until a pilot retired on the TEES. I could be wrong but iirc he told me the Port of TEES is one of only three ports in the UK that are privately/shareholder owned and he has to create a company to hold the shareholder stake that comes with the job (we are talking six figure sums here). Or something of that elk.

The wife and my major worry currently is the dangerous position he faces almost daily transferring from boat to ship in these stormy conditions.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-22, 08:51 AM   #3
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

If I ever take a sea cruise i'm bringing my own survival suit and life preserver. It seems that every ship afloat, big or small, is but one incident away from berthing next to the Titanic.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-22, 05:54 PM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Regarding the ferry question....that is precisely what I asked him at the time and he said that job as well as all the others since leaving Holland America were just 'fill-ins' until a pilot retired on the TEES. I could be wrong but iirc he told me the Port of TEES is one of only three ports in the UK that are privately/shareholder owned and he has to create a company to hold the shareholder stake that comes with the job (we are talking six figure sums here). Or something of that elk.

The wife and my major worry currently is the dangerous position he faces almost daily transferring from boat to ship in these stormy conditions.
I can only wish your son the best of luck and success in his future endeavors with the new position.

While the transferring from small boat to ship will undoubtedly have some risks attached I am sure he will be fine.
It seems he has chosen well doing something he loves for a good compensation package and to not be far from home either it seems that would be a good balance indeed !

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 08:03 AM   #5
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitan View Post
I can only wish your son the best of luck and success in his future endeavors with the new position.

While the transferring from small boat to ship will undoubtedly have some risks attached I am sure he will be fine.
It seems he has chosen well doing something he loves for a good compensation package and to not be far from home either it seems that would be a good balance indeed !
Appreciated Blair

Old 02-23-22, 12:27 PM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Icon12 Scottish ilk...not Geordie elk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna
Or something of that elk.
That's "ilk " not

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-22, 01:25 PM   #7
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
That's "ilk " not