SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-26-21, 04:24 AM   #286
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

It certainly is better to burn Crisco then to eat it.
Old 12-09-21, 05:11 AM   #287
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

SPOILER ALERT!!
Shaved Steve1989 at 7:08.

ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 01:41 PM   #288
JNicholas90
Swabbie

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealhead View Post
You would also need a crew that can actually maintain a nuclear submarine as well and even if you did these complex vessels receive months of maintenance between patrols something that would not be possible in a total collapse.Sure in a time of duress a sub can stay out for longer but the ship itself and crew would wear out in a year or so.

Hiding seems like a good idea but it is no guarantee of safety things can go wrong that force you to move like a hostile group finding your hiding spot people are going to be really looking because their survival depends on finding what is hidden.Long term survival a person or group of people would have to be nomadic.

I get a kick out of the people on these dooms day shows who have all these plans about having their little fort that they plan to defend well guess what they will get to do that only thing is sooner of later they are going to get over run and die.Better to be mobile because as I said people will be looking for permanent locations because they know that what they need is in them.

Of course not matter what you do it is going to very hard it is going to be very harsh and possibly only a very small number would survive and it might be close like that for generations.Think of your worst experience and multiply it about 1 billion then you have an inkling of how hard making it in a total collapse post apocalyptic world will be.

we have all learned so much from the walking dead!
JNicholas90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 03:58 PM   #289
ET2SN
ET2/SS

The one thing the "bunker" shows always gloss over is something really important.

Poop.

More specifically, what are you going to do with it? Its the one thing you will be making as long as you aren't starving.

Just food for thought.
Old 12-09-21, 04:34 PM   #290
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
The one thing the "bunker" shows always gloss over is something really important.

Poop.

More specifically, what are you going to do with it? Its the one thing you will be making as long as you aren't starving.

Just food for thought.

Whatever you do just don't toss it out. Bags of fertilizer are going to be difficult to get.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-21, 05:37 PM   #291
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Fertilizer= Poop + the right microbes + time.

Storing human waste in mason jars is probably not a good idea.

The sad truth to that equation is that time is something you don't have.

If you're in the same survival situation after three months, you'll want to be thinking of the least painful ways to check out.

This is reality. Not a movie, TV show, or paperback novel.

Last edited by ET2SN; 12-09-21 at 06:57 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 06:53 PM   #292
August
Wayfaring Stranger

I guess it depends on the survival situation you're talking about. Prepping for natural disasters is not the same thing as trying to prepare for the fall of civilization. With natural disasters you are just trying to outlast the rescue/recovery clock. 30 days food and water would cover you in almost any natural disaster.

Surviving the fall of civilization is another thing altogether and even that covers a wide range of scenarios from a gradual societal collapse all the way to a nuclear war nightmare with every possible situation in between so learning how to turn ones poop into fertilizer might be a useful thing to know.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-21, 07:26 PM   #293
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET2SN View Post
If you're in the same survival situation after three months, you'll want to be thinking of the least painful ways to check out.

This is reality. Not a movie, TV show, or paperback novel.
Prepping by a strategy of stockpiling consummable reserves obviously has timely limits for thr duration of how long you can live by this. From some point on you need to have learned and be capable to live off the land instead.

However, lets be realistic and not assuming the zombie apocalypse. I described it before: my worst concern is a power blackout of continental proportions and several days duration, maybe 7-10 days power put. A huge multiple-days blackout imo is a very realistic possibility in Europe now. It then would take several days to switch all those many individual "power islands" back to "on" one by one, the regions each of them being supplied by one powerplant. And after that several weeks to desinfect the water pipes and taps, and months to empty and clean and refill the water processing plants and sewage processing bassins. And then the time it woud need to restablish logistics and supply chains, Corona and shipping taught us some lessons there, didn't it.

In the end, the duration you can surivive by reserves-prepping is limited, it gets you so and so far and not further, it depends on your monetarian and space options.

Everybody should think of realistic desaster scenarios, but skipping the absurd scifi stuff. And then he should do in preparation what he can do in this place and space he lives in, with this money he has, and at this time of his life. More he cannot do. Skipping just one long summer holiday travel, and use that money for prepping up instead. That is a very good way to get started and already accomplish a lot.

BTW, insurrances will be of no use to yiou if dedsaster like thsi strike. An insurrance does not help you to survive. And maybe even does not help you after you have successfully survived by your own means and doing. And if no desaster strikes you - the money that the insurrance costs you still is gone then. Just saying, some food for thought there.

Just doing nothing to get prepared within the range of one's own individual possibilities, and taking it for granted that others or the state will take it upon them to come to one's rescue - that phlegmatism is unforgivable, and selfish, and dumb. The state will be limited to set priorities for allocating its limited - and waning - ressources. Individual fates and rescue operations for each and every "citizen" will not be put high on the list. It cannot be afforded.

Last edited by Skybird; 12-10-21 at 07:34 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-22, 03:27 PM   #294
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

So, time to dust off the Nuclear Armageddon plans, no?

So much depends on the scale of a nuke exchange. A limited strike is very survivable. The key is to be ready for the logistical and banking breakdown that would follow. If you are in an area that is largely unaffected by blast and radiation, you want to be sure you have food and water on hand and weapons and allies ready.

If it's a wide-spread exchange, loss of information and news blackout would mean any plan depends more on luck that any strategic planning. Discounting an effective EMP, we can assume there would be some radio broadcasts and the info would be something to go by, but it would be hard to gauge its accuracy.

If survive the initial strikes, I'm going to hunker down in my rural home, it's 70 miles away from Houston. Stay inside for at least 3 months to avoid radiation. Water comes from a well, I could make it 4-6 months on food if I'm careful. Power would probably be out permanently and fuel supplies as well, so there would be no place to go. Have to keep some cash onhand. Weapons and ammo are easy, got that covered. There are enough neighbors to band together for security.

It sounds crazy but hey, we are living in crazy times.

Onkel Neal is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-22, 03:32 PM   #295
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37

If it stay local this nuclear exchange then I have hope to survive. If it goes world wide-Then I'm doomed. Even though I live on an island, far from any big cities.

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-22, 04:16 PM   #296
Skybird
Soaring

Even just wanting to survive a nuclear exchange is for the younger ones. For the older ones - would I really want to survive in a world where the dominat species does stupid things like that...?

Other humans probably would become the worst of dangers there then are.

I do not plan for such scenarios, and I do not prepare for them. My scenarios for whcih I prepped mainly are cyber attacks, and the breakdown these can cause, and a huge nationwide or continental power blackout for more than 48-72 hours. That would cause a rat tail of problems lasting for months.

I could not expect help near me, or far away. They have their own families, or are as old and isolated as I am. Evasion or fleeing is no realistic option while I get older and older, my strategy is dictated by the cicumstances my life happens to take part in. I would hunker down, try to become invisble, do a good bunker job so to speak, defend my place as best as I could if need be and hold out as long as my reserves last - and by the end of that episode I either made it or I made it not, end of story. Simple, isn'T it. Life is what it is. Could hold out with no forewarning for a minimum of 6 weeks or even longer, and 4 months and longer if I have early warning time to fill up additional water reserves that currently are empty and folded and stored away due to lacking storage space. If I have time to fill them, it would more than triple my sweet water reserves.

Regarding the issue of "what goes in must come out" that ETS2SN mentioned, the best solution might be the principle of so-called dry separation toilets, which can be improvised but can also be bought in fixed installaitons for camping mobiles etc but then become very expensive. The principle is simple, you keep the liquid strictly separated from the solid wen using the relaxation throne, and mix the organic dry material like dry leafes, sawdust or coconut fibres. Poo does not smell long if it dries, and pee does not start to really smell ugly as long as it does not get mixed with water or other baddy-baddy stuff. The whole idea is to collect and every couple of days "throw" away the pee, and see the solid parts of your legacies composting, emtoying that box just once a week or evben month. Good designs of this that are build into camping trailers are as good as free of smell - if done right. In emergency, when you have no bowel where liquid and solid gets separated, you can improvise by using a bottle and a bin, the important thing is to keep the two things separate and allow the solid shares to dry and have the moisture escape. There are ready designs with stirrers and a handcrank.

If done right: almost no smell, no poo, just composted earth, and easy to get rid off pee in bottles. Do not mistake it with a simple outhouse and just a board over a hole in the ground.

Very expensive but very good:
https://www.biotoi.de/
Probably the best of its kind (say many camping-trailer owners using it).

Expensive. But good. Solid quality.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-28-22 at 04:28 PM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-22, 04:30 PM   #297
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Duck and cover, or use a briefcase. If there's a table, get under it.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-22, 04:35 PM   #298
Skybird
Soaring

Nukes made in Russia cannot be good quality. Just blow it out if you see one going off. Or have an Ukrainian using it for BBQ. Roasted Bear a la Kyiv.
Old 02-28-22, 05:38 PM   #299
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Icon14

A well is a good thing to have, in a nuclear scenario a DEEP well is even better.

Just some quick review for an end-of-the-world nuclear situation:

-There are a bunch of old or current missile silos located between Montana and both Dakotas. Expect heavy ground bursts in this line which will produce the worst fallout. Sometimes that cabin in the woods isn't the best idea, depending on where its located. Expect the heavy bomber bases (Minot, Whiteman, Ellsworth, Dyess, Barksdale) to get their fair share of the mayhem, although we're talking more about air bursts. If you can recognize any of those names above, you're probably in a bad spot.
Likewise, it will be a good idea to steer clear of Seattle and the Georgia/Florida state line- the rough locations of the SSBN bases.

-Fallout. Learn about it BEFORE you have to deal with it. I'm not being obtuse about what I'm NOT including in this post. Its up to YOU to get educated and save your ### if its possible.
Fallout from the missile fields will be bad. Fallout from the cities will be almost as bad. The really bad news is that fallout is very random, it depends on what type of explosion produced it along with wind and weather patterns.
For the most part, if you were born during or after the 1990's, take everything you KNOW about nuclear warfare and throw it in a trash can. This won't be a game or a movie.

-Learn how to do for yourself. Assuming that you survived, there will be 10 million other more important things to get worked on before anyone will be able to help you with your problems. If you are weak with the basics of first aid, NOW is the time to learn. Having a Geiger counter and iodine pills is worthless if you don't know how or when to use them. Having a first aid kit is worthless if you don't know what you're doing.

-Learn how to do with others. Seriously, your odds of survival are really slim if you can't or won't work with others. There's NOTHING to win in this situation, you just want to make it to the next sunrise. Doing that on your own is virtually impossible.
Old 02-28-22, 07:28 PM   #300
Skybird
Soaring

Trust is an empirically proven confidence. It denotes a sum of experiences made in the past, which have gone to the satisfaction of the person trusting.

You do not trust any foreigner strolling your way. Where you think and say you do, in fact in reality you take a risk and hope you get away with it. You take a gamble. In other words: you flip a coin. You just hope for something.

Civilization is a thin layer of paint that all too easily can be scratched off. Underneath lies the drive to survive, and animalic instincts.

One of my favourite quotes is by General Sharon: "Hope is no strategy." Amen to that.

Tags
doomsday, prepper, preppers, survival