Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-11-21, 12:16 PM   #6301
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddahaid View Post
It's all about building antibodies to limit the severity. Each season the flu shot is tailored to what strains are determined to pose the greatest threat. I'm required to get the shots for work and I still get slightly ill at some point, but not this past season. I think that is entirely due to masks and hand hygiene measures that Covid-19 has brought among us.
Not say I do not get the cold and cough every now and then. Full blown flu? Not that I recall. No doubt that people are now washing hands and wearing masks with regularity has reduced many would be cases of flu. I guess if there is any silver lining with flu/Covid it is people realizing that cleaning hands and surfaces do help in keeping one free of a virus.
Old 02-11-21, 01:32 PM   #6302
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

A further 678 people have died in the UK within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test, with a further 13,494 cases reported.

It means the weekly average number of deaths is now under 800, compared with more than 1,200 a few weeks ago.

Scotland's vaccination programme is likely to slow down later this month because of supply problems.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 02:23 PM   #6303
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10

Interesting. Thank god for those old Soviet era east German connections eh? I'm thinking the old guard is also pushing for stronger political and economic ties to Putin as well.

Germany open to Chinese and Russian vaccines amid delays

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-ge...ays/a-56396510

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.
Rockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 02:47 PM   #6304
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Why should there be any restraints to where vaccines come from? Is this a nationalist thing?
After all "there is no obstacle to the use of the Sputnik V and Sinopharm vaccines if they receive EU approval."
So why not? Biontech is a german company founded by a turkish immigrant, the US Pfizer company is the distributor (nothing to do with inventing in this case). I do not quite understand what was negotiated in the shades but hey, whatever.
Almost all companies have declared they are not able to produce the numbers agreed on by treaties, so whatever vaccine used, if it works take it.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-21, 02:56 PM   #6305
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
Interesting. Thank god for those old Soviet era east German connections eh? I'm thinking the old guard is also pushing for stronger political and economic ties to Putin as well.

Germany open to Chinese and Russian vaccines amid delays

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-ge...ays/a-56396510
Older news, I reported it days ago. The Chinese vaccine I am cautious with, but the Russian one, if the Lancet study is correct, is excellent - very high efficiency rate of 92%, that makes it ranking amongst the mRNA vaccines, but being of the Astrazeneca-tehcnology-kind, and can be stored at much easier to handle temperatures, and costing less than half as much as the Biontech/Pfizer one. Only advantages. In fact, it currently would be my first choice, if I had a choice.

The Russians meanwhile said they cannot or will not deliver before end of May.

What has a special dubious taste on it, is that Pfizer doses meant for Europe and beign produced in Europe, by treaty demand (the EU again was stupid enough to sign) must be delivered to the US for filling it into ampulles and then b ringing it back to Europe. Hopefully. Nobody in Brussels had any imaigination of why the Ameiocans demanded this. Why could the yhave wanted it this way, lets sit down a while and thinlk really hard. Why coulöd they have wanted it... Hmmmm...

It means the US can decide differently once it has its hands on it, and keep it. America first. And the EU signed into this arrangement . If you want to laugh, feel free. I mock and laugh, too. The mask wars should have taught lessons to the Europeans, but they didn't. Naive, endlessly well-meaning Trottel.
Old 02-11-21, 03:42 PM   #6306
Skybird
Soaring

Opinion piece/comment in Der Tagesspiegel:

The Chancellor could legally disregard the countries. Instead, she prefers to rely on consensus. But why? A comment. Stephan-Andreas Casdorff

It's like this: every time after her conferences with the heads of federal state governments, Angela Merkel gives the impression that she actually knows better. Knows better what should be done in the corona crisis. All right, then she should finally go out into the open on her last few meters, as her physicist colleague Michael Schindhelm advised her decades ago; then she should take responsibility and finally stand up for what she thinks is right. The Chancellor can override the countries and assert herself if she wants. That would work legally. Says not just anybody, but THE German constitutional lawyer, the Berlin professor Christoph Möllers, who represents the national government in major cases before the upper courts.

This Möllers therefore takes the view (in “Spiegel”) that Merkel can determine everything in the event of a lockdown: requirements, content, length, details. By federal law without an agreement with the Prime Ministers of the states. Or the Chancellor creates a basis in the Infection Protection Act that empowers her government to order the lockdown nationwide by ordinance. Not even the Federal Council (second chamber of German parliament) would have to agree. Lawsuit of the countries? Pointless, thinks Möllers. Especially since the committee “Merkel and the Prime Ministers” does not exist in the Basic Law.

By the way: Even with schools - where Merkel laments that the easing is going too fast - she would have a handle.

Merkel prefers moderation, consensus, they say. That's true. But why? Because that also means shared responsibility; because if things don't go as planned, it is not her sole fault. Because then FDP leader Christian Lindner cannot attach the extension of the lockdown to her alone. The fact that, after more than a hundred days, Germany is still lagging behind in the use of air purifiers, systematic tests and the widespread use of FFP2 masks, has no opening perspective for the economy via a step-by-step plan that allows relaxation in regions with low infection rates - it wasn't Merkel.

But it could be her: the one who says where to go. Who makes herself vulnerable. Who wrestles with the Bundestag and fights for a majority. In any case, constitutional lawyer Möllers wonders "how seldom the responsibility of the national government and its majority in the Bundestag is acknowledged when representatives of the federal government complain about the reluctance of the states".
------

Its typical. I call it cowardice. The Merkel way, although behind locked doors she is quite authoritarian. Think of it, in Europe and Germany this endless desire for harmony and consensus and unity and no disagreement, this utmost and complete shyness of conflict, this everlasting desire for getting loved by all others, this is what has brought the EU and Germany nothing but troubles. And when considering the German policies beyond Corona and in the past one and a half decade: its a label of Merkel's whole reign. Or better: a stigma. As I often said in past years: push them long enough, in the end the Germans always fall back. Absolutely obvious when it comes to the Euro, as just one obvious exmaple.
And in Paris they giggle. Its Paris where the biggest danger lies for the Europoean nations and people. Not Germany - France. Saying this since years, too.
Old 02-12-21, 09:04 AM   #6307
Skybird
Soaring

Biden finalized deal with Pfizer for an additional 200 doses. That gives the US 600 million doses in summer, practically enoguh to double-jab all its citizens.

Huhu EU, Huhu Germany - watch and learn! Still think its a good idea to allow those Pfizer vaccines from European factories and for European consummation being transported to the US "just for filling" it into ampullas?

I think that is like hoping to ever get back all gold stored by Germany in the New York bank's safes. Fact is the Americans do not even allow the Germans to physically control that all those gold bars are still there, physically - and that of the other nations. They kindly allowed us to bring back just a tiny fraction in recent years, to silence public doubt. More they rejected to give out. And so the germans did not demand more. Moral of the story: the gold physically is no more there. The US cannot give back what it does no logner has. Too bad for Germany. But it helps to be naive and stupid, then the pain is not that much felt.

Emergency directives forbidding that exporting-for-filling of the Eurpopean propcued Pfizer jabs that are meant for Euzropean customers. We can fill them into ampullas riught here, ther eis no need at all to do that in the US and then transport the ampullas back to Europe. that is ABSURD. State intervention there is covered by nations' emergency and pandemic plans allowing options for extraordinary lawmaking steps and measurements. Better it would have been to not even accept this obvious clause, but now that one has - break it. Usually I say pacta sund servanda, but the EU has already killed now and in the forseeable future so many people with its stupdity, I do not accept to let it commit this folly as well. The vaccine doses for European customers must be filled where they get produced, here in Europe, that is, not allowing the US to get hand on them.

There is no practical reason at all why doses made in European factories and already bought by European customerts must be delivered to the US for filling them into flasks. There is no practical need for this. Except the US plans to confiscate these doses, if it wishes to do so and sees an interest in it.

Will Super-Uschi and Nanny Merkel ever wake up from their endless daydreamings? Its not as if they do not alrready wade in a sea of blood they caused flowing needlessly with their idealistic dilettantism.

Last edited by Skybird; 02-12-21 at 09:30 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 09:51 AM   #6308
Skybird
Soaring

https://translate.google.com/transla...-17192990.html

The Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung FAZ is usually described as being centrist-conservative.
Old 02-12-21, 11:31 AM   #6309
3catcircus
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Biden finalized deal with Pfizer for an additional 200 doses. That gives the US 600 million doses in summer, practically enoguh to double-jab all its citizens.

Huhu EU, Huhu Germany - watch and learn! Still think its a good idea to allow those Pfizer vaccines from European factories and for European consummation being transported to the US "just for filling" it into ampullas?

I think that is like hoping to ever get back all gold stored by Germany in the New York bank's safes. Fact is the Americans do not even allow the Germans to physically control that all those gold bars are still there, physically - and that of the other nations. They kindly allowed us to bring back just a tiny fraction in recent years, to silence public doubt. More they rejected to give out. And so the germans did not demand more. Moral of the story: the gold physically is no more there. The US cannot give back what it does no logner has. Too bad for Germany. But it helps to be naive and stupid, then the pain is not that much felt.

Emergency directives forbidding that exporting-for-filling of the Eurpopean propcued Pfizer jabs that are meant for Euzropean customers. We can fill them into ampullas riught here, ther eis no need at all to do that in the US and then transport the ampullas back to Europe. that is ABSURD. State intervention there is covered by nations' emergency and pandemic plans allowing options for extraordinary lawmaking steps and measurements. Better it would have been to not even accept this obvious clause, but now that one has - break it. Usually I say pacta sund servanda, but the EU has already killed now and in the forseeable future so many people with its stupdity, I do not accept to let it commit this folly as well. The vaccine doses for European customers must be filled where they get produced, here in Europe, that is, not allowing the US to get hand on them.

There is no practical reason at all why doses made in European factories and already bought by European customerts must be delivered to the US for filling them into flasks. There is no practical need for this. Except the US plans to confiscate these doses, if it wishes to do so and sees an interest in it.

Will Super-Uschi and Nanny Merkel ever wake up from their endless daydreamings? Its not as if they do not alrready wade in a sea of blood they caused flowing needlessly with their idealistic dilettantism.
What's the rate of serious complications with these vaccines vs the rate of recovery of those who contract covid-19?

I'd be happy to send them back to Europe and let someone else be the human trials subjects...
3catcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-21, 01:32 PM   #6310
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-12-21, 01:34 PM   #6311
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Latest estimates for the R number across the UK put it at between 0.7 and 0.9, suggesting the epidemic is shrinking.

The Office for National Statistics says infection levels are going down in all four UK nations, but experts warn infection levels still remain high.

The figures suggest one in 80 people in England has the virus, with one in 150 in Scotland, one in 85 in Wales and one in 75 in Northern Ireland.

Home Office minister Victoria Atkins says England's hotel quarantine system, which starts on Monday, will be "amongst the strongest in the world"

More police will be deployed at travel hubs next week to ensure the new quarantine rules are enforced, Home Secretary Priti Patel says.

The UK economy "experienced a significant shock" last year, Chancellor Rishi Sunak says, after figures show it shrank by a record 9.9%

Wales is the first UK nation to have offered the top four priority groups a Covid jab, First Minister Mark Drakeford says.

A five-day lockdown has been imposed in the Australian state of Victoria, following a cluster of coronavirus cases linked to a quarantine hotel.

Old 02-12-21, 01:39 PM   #6312
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

UK cases continue to decrease

This time last week, the UK reported 1,014 coronavirus deaths, so today’s figure is a drop of 256.

Last Friday there were 19,144 daily cases – compared to the 15,144 reported today.

Cases have remained under 20,000 for the last eight days in a row.

Old 02-12-21, 01:44 PM   #6313
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 02-12-21, 01:45 PM   #6314
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Germany is to ban travel from Austria’s Tyrol region as well as Czech border areas from Sunday without a negative test, but commercial links will continue. Austrian police halted travel out of the Tyrol last night without a negative test, because of a surge in cases of the South African coronavirus variant. But Czech MPs have refused to back an extension of a state of emergency so it will end at midnight on Sunday.

France is worried about an outbreak of South African and Brazilian variants in the north-east Moselle region. Health minister Olivier Véran says the situation is worrying and he’s heading there today.

Poland is reopening swimming pools and ski slopes today and allowing hotels, cinemas and theatres to start up again at 50% capacity. Authorities already reopened museums and shopping centres on 1 February and they want to give the new relaxation two weeks to assess its effect. Another 7,008 infections were reported yesterday.

Dutch policing unions are worried about a potential surge of skaters this weekend on the country’s frozen lakes and canals. Crowds were reported around some lakes yesterday – attracted by the big freeze - and some 500 people were told to leave a park in the eastern city of Nijmegen.

But Portugal’s state of emergency is to stay until 1 March. And the lockdown will carry on at least until the end of next month, according to Prime Minister António Costa. He says the situation is extremely serious and it’s "premature" to talk about easing restrictions.

Old 02-12-21, 02:56 PM   #6315
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catcircus View Post
What's the rate of serious complications with these vaccines vs the rate of recovery of those who contract covid-19?

I'd be happy to send them back to Europe and let someone else be the human trials subjects...

Only as long as you have not become one of the happy winners of getting hospitalised due to Covid-19. Because then you find yourself in hell'S kitchen.

Don't be dumb. Get the jab when getting an offer.

OIne in three infected has no symptoms. The horror trip you are saved from yourself if you get infected but are asymptomatic, you still can bring onto sombody else whom you infect without even ever knowing it. Even multiple others.

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan