SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-31-21, 10:32 AM   #6166
mapuc
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 37
Uploads: 0

In the Swedish news they said that this pandemic have given us three positive side effect.
1. Less air pollution
2. free work opportunities
3. Faster development of new medicines

Markus

My little lovely female cat
mapuc is online   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 10:35 AM   #6167
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
According to yesterday's news from official government source (U.S. CDC)

Vaccinations in the U.S. began Dec. 14 with health-care workers, and so far 28.9 million shots have been given, according to a state-by-state tally by Bloomberg and data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In the last week, an average of 1.30 million doses per day were administered.

Across the U.S., 8.8 doses have been administered for every 100 people, and 59% of the shots delivered to states have been administered.
Different sources equates to different figures and statistics I guess.

My own personal preference is and has always been the BBC

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 10:58 AM   #6168
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
Maybe you reread the post i answered to.

re Jim while i think invoking article 16 was not the brightest idea, it is not all so easy as it looks. And why should the UK have the top position in screwing things up

Fact check: Is AstraZeneca in breach of its EU contract?

How can delivery bottlenecks occur when the EU paid millions to boost AstraZeneca's production?
DW fact check: Not verifiable.

Is the UK receiving its deliveries of the vaccine without any problems?
DW fact check: True.

Is AstraZeneca in breach of its contract with the EU?
DW fact check: Probably true.

Is the AstraZeneca vaccine less effective in elderly people?
DW fact check: Inconclusive.

Further explanation in the link below.
https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-is-...act/a-56360480
Kai, I honestly and truly believe the problem over the vaccine supply from AstraZeneca to the EU is a matter between those two parties.

My own personal opinion is that the EU were slow to move and as such are reaping what they sowed and I totally condemn the threat of article 16 which did little other then show the EU's true colours in what they consider to be a time of crisis to the rest of the world.

Having said that, I have nothing but admiration for their withdrawal of said threat and as such, given a month or so I would hope the UK with the introduction of a new vaccine be in a position to offer supplies to not only the EU but other less fortunate countries as well (we have already donated/given £550m in aid to help distribute doses around the world).

Now that there has been a reset in relations one must hope a plan, transparent and between two equals can be worked out for the mutual benefit of both parties.

Old 01-31-21, 11:19 AM   #6169
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A further 587 people have died within 28 days of a positive coronavirus test in the UK, the government's daily figures show.

A further 21,088 new infections were recorded in the last 24 hours, according to the data.

The figures show 598,389 received their first dose on Saturday.

The previous record was set last Saturday when the UK reported 491,970 doses in a single day.

It brings the total number of people to receive their first dose of a Covid vaccine to 8,977,329, with another 491,053 receiving their second dose.

Old 01-31-21, 11:35 AM   #6170
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A night curfew will also be more tightly enforced and large shopping centres will close, the French PM says.

Portugal's Foreign Minister Augusto Santos Silva has defended European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen and called for unity, after a week that saw tensions over the EU’s handling of its vaccine shortage crisis. "There is no reason for the leaders of Europe to argue. It is very important that we keep united," he told the BBC.

Australian city of Perth enters a five-day lockdown after a security guard at a quarantine hotel gets coronavirus.

Israel has agreed to transfer thousands of vaccines to the Palestinians, amid controversy over whether it should include those in the West Bank and Gaza Strip in its vaccination programme. Its defence ministry said 5,000 doses would be made available to immunise front-line Palestinian medical workers.

Old 01-31-21, 11:38 AM   #6171
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Now that there has been a reset in relations
You really believe that?

The EU let its mask fall mfor a moment, and even when it correcte diut quuckly, it will not be forgotten how easily it tried to play foul in the first, and many fears of EU critics have been confirmed. This will come at a price in the future.

Assuming differently I fear is just trusting in cosmetics. Must not worry you, however, the bill is at the EU's cost, not the UK's cost.
Old 01-31-21, 11:40 AM   #6172
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 01-31-21, 01:10 PM   #6173
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
You really believe that?

The EU let its mask fall mfor a moment, and even when it correcte diut quuckly, it will not be forgotten how easily it tried to play foul in the first, and many fears of EU critics have been confirmed. This will come at a price in the future.

Assuming differently I fear is just trusting in cosmetics. Must not worry you, however, the bill is at the EU's cost, not the UK's cost.
I hold on to the hope that should the EU play 'silly buggas' our current political regime would simply walk away and turn to WTO terms of reference.

Old 01-31-21, 01:17 PM   #6174
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

OH BUGGA!

Quote:
Captain Sir Tom Moore in hospital with coronavirus https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-55881508

Old 01-31-21, 01:25 PM   #6175
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

A pretty good account of where we are currently at imho.

Quote:
EU 'fiasco' on N Ireland heaps pressure on Commission https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55872763

Old 01-31-21, 01:50 PM   #6176
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Kai, I honestly and truly believe the problem over the vaccine supply from AstraZeneca to the EU is a matter between those two parties. [...]
See, this is what i doubt.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/30/e...ntl/index.html

When the EU decided to fund the development of a vaccine it was not yet known which company would find a vaccine, if at all!
So they distributed funds for development to several different companies. Afaik Biontech was first to find one, with others following suit.

"Peter Bone, a Conservative British lawmaker, said EU leaders were "bullies" for inspecting the Belgian plant. In an interview with talkRADIO on Friday, he accused them of "trying to cover up for their own failures" and reversed the EU's accusation, saying Brussels was trying to divert UK-made vaccines to its own people.

But the EU's contract with AstraZeneca -- which Brussels published on Friday -- states that doses for the bloc could indeed come from a supply chain that includes UK-based plants. Equally, the UK is receiving doses from Europe as well -- a person familiar with the matter said that the UK is still receiving small numbers of vaccines made in European plants, and that its initial doses had come from Europe too.

The UK government, which is miles ahead of the EU in vaccinating its population, has not released its contract with the company and has repeatedly declined to disclose to CNN how many doses it has in hand, citing "security reasons."

Ah. We will see; or maybe not.

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 02:21 PM   #6177
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Do you not think (a pinch of hindsight here) that the original intention for all EU countries to organise their own procurement of the vaccine would have been the best way forward, rather than have the Commission overrule them all and procure en mass?

Old 01-31-21, 03:02 PM   #6178
Catfish

^ In short: No. But this is all in the links i posted.
This is what some in the links mean with vaccine nationalism. Proclaiming the "advantages of brexit", so Johnson gets the political score he so urgently needs, after the last year?
I think worldwide efforts including the UK and the 27 nations of the EU produced a better financial and scientific push for finding a vaccine, and fast, than if every country had tried to do that alone. Fast-tracking authorization of a vaccine that was produced in the EU under EU law is not an argument in favor of Brexit; if this is an example of what Britain wants to do in the future... Was'nt COVAX founded to prevent "vaccine nationalism"?

Also, a financial problem: https://iccwbo.org/media-wall/news-s...s4-5-trillion/

So Johnson was happy to receive the first doses from Pfizer/Biontec in the EU's good faith, but when "his" vaccines arrived he seems to want to store more than previously agreed, and denies to publish the numbers out of 'security reasons'. When the EU wants to control the path were the A-Z vaccines go, it is a "bully". Can you imagine how this looks, to other nations?

Four AZ plants to produce the vaccine, 2 in the UK, 2 in the EU, it is not mentioned in the treaty that the two UK plants only deliver to the UK, the good faith agreement is that the production should be spread equally. This is of course not wwritten down. "Good faith" does not count in the layer's view, right.
As written in one of the links, "first ordered first served maybe good for a butcher's business, but probably not when it comes to a worldwide cure against a pandemic".
I do not support the view that this is a EU and Astra-Zeneca thing alone.

Or, as written in one of the links:
"The rapid development of vaccines was possible because scientists shared knowledge, with Chinese researchers quickly publishing the genome sequence of the new coronavirus. The rest of us should learn to pull together, too."
We can discuss China's initial role and intention, but without publishing the genome sequence we would not have a vaccine.

Edit:
I am perfectly aware of the EU's or Germany's own blunders, bad enough, no exaggerations necessary

Last edited by Catfish; 01-31-21 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-31-21, 03:21 PM   #6179
Catfish

And now this, an hour ago
(translation by Google)

The manufacturer Astrazeneca is now delivering more vaccine to the European Union in the first quarter than last announced.

Old 01-31-21, 03:42 PM   #6180
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan