SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-25-20, 06:02 AM   #4051
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The Eiffel Tower in Paris reopens more than three months after France went into lockdown.

Social distancing remains at the famous landmark, and for the first week, the lifts will stay shut.

The Australian army is sending 1,000 army personnel to Victoria amid a surge in virus cases.

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut ask people arriving from nine other US states to quarantine for 14 days.

WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus says global cases will soon reach 10 million.

The WHO says the pandemic has not yet reached its peak in Central and South America.

The International Monetary Fund has said the pandemic is a financial crisis "like no other"

The UK has begun human trials of a new potential coronavirus vaccine.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-20, 06:46 AM   #4052
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

On the situation in the US, and the apparently mutated strain.

The Trump gang has politicised a most important and natural, self-recommending measuremeant of health protection, it has turned wearing and not-wearing of masks into a political statement. By doing so, they will the death of many and the suffering of many more. For this crime alone they should be brought to court and locked away for life. There is a German expression, "jemand geht über Leichen" (direct translation is "somebody walks over dead bodies"). Well, Trump does that. Not just metaphorically, but literally.

What to do with the many stupids falling for this propaganda, I honestly do not know. They are a danger not just to themselves, but to all others. Well, in a way that answers in a way what should be considered as legal and morally right: to do what is needed to stop them from putting others willfully at risk. Because there is as much a ight to make others sick by infection like like there is a right to make others sick by putting poison in their coffee.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-25-20 at 09:33 AM.
Skybird is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-20, 08:44 AM   #4053
Skybird
Soaring

Longer term issues. Now these are what is my main concern with this virus. Patients that get released from hospital, but are anything but "recovered", suffering from lasting health issues for months, maybe even years - needs to be seen, and as we know for some lung-related issues like fybrosis and capacity deficits at least: the rest of their lives. There is a reason I think why some weeks ago a statistics metaanalysis study from the Imperial College London claimed that if standardizing life expectancy after Covid 19 recovery and cleaning it from effects like high age at time of infection, health conditions that preexisted and so forth, men and women surviving a serious case of Covid 19 that saw them in need to get hospitalised, suffer a loss in life expectancy after Covid 19 "recovery" of 11 and 13 years. I would say that is pretty dramatic and very strongly relativses the meaning of "recovering".

By the last what I red about how likely your chance is to suffer a severe going of the disease in case you catch the virus (you be not asymptomatic then), when you catch the virus you must throw a six-sided die, fate leaves you no choice, that die is thrown, and you have roughly almost a chance equalling throwing a "6" that you will suffer a severe going. That is not comforting a chance, you are anything but untouchable. Comfort you can take from a chance below 1%, not from chances around 16% or higher.

So, this virus commands your respect. Dont be an idiot and just laugh and do not care, like so worrying many people now do.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-25-20 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-25-20, 01:44 PM   #4054
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Europe sees its first increase in weekly coronavirus cases in months, according to the World Health Organisation.
The rise comes as countries continue to ease restrictions.

The WHO also says the pandemic has not yet reached its peak in Central and South America.

The UK government is finalising details of "travel corridors" so some arrivals will not need to quarantine.
Most of Western Europe is due to be on an initial list of exempt countries.

New York, New Jersey and Connecticut ask people arriving from nine other US states to quarantine for 14 days.

Old 06-25-20, 04:40 PM   #4055
Skybird
Soaring

Lissabon and the surrpounding wider region must go back into lockdown for at least two weeks, from July 1st on, the govenrment says. Some sity districts in the centre of the city are not affected. Well... if they say so...

The CDC in the US says that by its estimations probbaly tenb times as many peope got infected in the US as so far is being announced in numbers. So far the numbers say there have been 2.3 million infections and over 121,000 patients dead. In recent testings, younger age groups showed up to be more prominent than previously thought. - More than 1 million corona aid cheques have been sent to receivers that were already dead since some time. Try to not grin - German banks over a decade ago sent billions to Lehmann when it already had delcared bancruptcy. At least this virus seems to be an older strain then.

More food-producing factories in Germany report new clusters. Tönnies in Northrhine Wetsphalia counts over 1500 infections, after them followed a turkey farmer, and now a Döner factory.

Some days ago it was said that they now consider air conditioning systems to be a source of mass infections. I have not yet grabbed what they mean by saying "now". I mean they cannot have seriously not taken that into account already two and three and four months ago, right?

Last edited by Skybird; 06-25-20 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 06:38 PM   #4056
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

That Covid-19 testing slowdown Trump declared, you know, the one White House spokesholes say was just Trump joking around, well...

Trump Follows Through on Threat to ‘Slow the Testing Down’ --

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...163220493.html

Oh, that Trump such a jokester, such a scamp...

But hey, it was just a joke, just like its 'just the flu, bro'...

Do ya think making up silly names for a serious medical disaster is effective as a response?...

For Neal, this may pose a bit of a problem since Texas is one of the five states losing testing funding...

This article gives a great deal of detail of just how botched the White House Covid-19 response has been and its origins:

The Four Men Responsible For America’s COVID-19 Test Disaster --

https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...saster-995930/

The SS Trumptanic keeps a-hitting those 'bergs...

<O>
Old 06-25-20, 08:05 PM   #4057
Mr Quatro
Navy Seal

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
That Covid-19 testing slowdown Trump declared, you know, the one White House spokesholes say was just Trump joking around, well... Oh, that Trump such a jokester, such a scamp...

But hey, it was just a joke, just like its 'just the flu, bro'...

Do ya think making up silly names for a serious medical disaster is effective as a response?...

For Neal, this may pose a bit of a problem since Texas is one of the five states losing testing funding...The SS Trumptanic keeps a-hitting those 'bergs...
<O>
I thought we had a thump Trump thread I guess I was wrong

Why don't you start one vienna ... Then you could put all of your anti-Trump
thoughts in one place to say, "I told you so on election day"
or achievement

Lord help me get to the next plateau ..

Mr Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-20, 11:20 PM   #4058
vienna
Navy Seal

Hey, I'm not the one forcing Trump to act like an idiot; he's doing that by hisself, quite well...

Trump has insisted on making the Covid-19 situation all about himself and himself only, so its just too bad when he catces heat for the things he does and says about the pandemic; if he or his Trumpettes don't like it and want to get their Pampers in a bunch, then, tough...

When Trump get his ponderous, idiot ass out of the way of those trying to actually deal with and solve the dilemma, then those who think the matter should be handled by people who actually know about pandemics and who actually care about people's lives, then he will be given the vast amount of disinterest and ignoring he deserves...

If you think he actually deserves any sort of high praise, then you, yourself may want to start a cheerleading thread for him, if you wish; might be a lonely thread...

Trump keeps botching unnecessarily the handling of Covid-19, so expect there will be those who actually care more about the lives of US citizens and will object and speak up...

<O>
Old 06-26-20, 02:48 AM   #4059
Skybird
Soaring

A doctor rejecting help to a very ill patient, would be sued fod charges of rejected help and - if it ends bad - charges for murder. If a president actively stops medical measurements againyt a national pandemic - its mass murder then. He will win the Bolsonaro achievement award 2020.

I only hope the media do not miss to play this story big style. Then I could not seriously imagine anymore that he could win next elections. At least as long as not most of population are suicidal idiots.

Myself, I hereby officially promote Trump to the rank of murderer. Until novembre, many citizen will suffer dearly and some of them will die who would not have n eeded to neither suffer or dying, but had to - because the monster in the white house wanted them to suffer and to die for his own personal interest.
Old 06-26-20, 04:46 AM   #4060
vienna
Navy Seal

Making snide nicknames for a very real, and deadly, disease just to amuse one's followers is not a sign of good leadership; nor is denying the existence of grave and deadly problems just because it affects one's "numbers" adversely; over 2.48 million confirmed cases, over 126 thousands deaths, and an alarming spike in new cases in the US in the last couple of weeks is not a joke and the response should not be a joke either...

Its not just the White House who shoulders the blame for the unforgivably poor response to the severity of the Covid-19 pandemic; state, county, and municipal authorities who have flouted the call for appropriate countermeasures or who have allowed political pressure to cause them to make very poor, high risk, judgements also hold responsibility; it is no coincidence cities, counties, or states that opted to rush to reopen are now seeing alarming spikes in new cases; here in SoCal, Orange County gave in to the Far-Right nagging, whining, and belligerence about reopening (using the same feeble, nonsensical 'arguments' heard on the national level) and started to reopen a bit over a week ago, in spite of the fact reported new cases had been on the rise; the upswing is yesterday, 25 Jun saw the largest single day rise since the beginning of the pandemic; the situation in Orange County even included the resignation of the County's Chief Public Health Officer due to an unusual number of death threats against her by those opposed to a mandatory face mask order she issued; the fact the County government was too cowed to give her adequate backing is a shame upon them an I hope the voters of the County will remember their names on election day and take appropriate action...

<O>
Old 06-26-20, 04:46 AM   #4061
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

I'm struggling to come to terms with the rubbish being left behind on our local coastline/beaches and parks etc. Surely this is being done on purpose because it looks like a great many are doing it.

Old 06-26-20, 04:47 AM   #4062
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Old 06-26-20, 04:53 AM   #4063
Skybird
Soaring

Several US states halt reopenings due to soaring infeciton numbers.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-53188289

Trump will not get through with his latest stunt to artifically reduce tests so that smaller numbers are reported. He must not be allowed to get through with it.
Old 06-26-20, 05:05 AM   #4064
Skybird
Soaring

Quote:
Making snide nicknames for a very real, and deadly, disease just to amuse one's followers is not a sign of good leadership; nor is denying the existence of grave and deadly problems just because it affects one's "numbers" adversely; over 2.48 million confirmed cases, over 126 thousands deaths, and an alarming spike in new cases in the US in the last couple of weeks is not a joke and the response should not be a joke either...

Its not just the White House who shoulders the blame for the unforgivably poor response to the severity of the Covid-19 pandemic; state, county, and municipal authorities who have flouted the call for appropriate countermeasures or who have allowed political pressure to cause them to make very poor, high risk, judgements also hold responsibility; it is no coincidence cities, counties, or states that opted to rush to reopen are now seeing alarming spikes in new cases; here in SoCal, Orange County gave in to the Far-Right nagging, whining, and belligerence about reopening (using the same feeble, nonsensical 'arguments' heard on the national level) and started to reopen a bit over a week ago, in spite of the fact reported new cases had been on the rise; the upswing is yesterday, 25 Jun saw the largest single day rise since the beginning of the pandemic; the situation in Orange County even included the resignation of the County's Chief Public Health Officer due to an unusual number of death threats against her by those opposed to a mandatory face mask order she issued; the fact the County government was too cowed to give her adequate backing is a shame upon them an I hope the voters of the County will remember their names on election day and take appropriate action...

I mentioned it some weeks ago already. In the uS everything seems to be taken as a competition, and Americnas seem to love to compete, but take every such competition as a life-or-death affair: the winner must take it all, the looser must etenerally, totally, completely fall. Such an life style or attotud eon life might have its reword in constructive, economic contextxs or sports, but in heated poltics like that torn apart states of America with that ammount of polarization already present, even life-or-death issues gets politicised beyond repair and get turned into anothe rmerciless competion for penultimate total domiance, and the looser has to fall into the deepest of all abysses.

Its a bit like with auto-immune diseases (which often ultimately do kill you, mind you). The immune system drives its fangs and claws into an identified enemy and gets so ferocious that it stops discriminating between friend and foe cells, but even turns against itself.The fighting must go on, for the sake of the fight.

The fanaticised basic posture of the two sides i american poltics, the behaviour of their believers, their unforgiving atttude and their uncompormised determination to not accept comprmise and comign toegther and instea dfocus on keeping the competing at maximum, remind of two sects.

What it does not remind of, not at all, is the mindset and spirit of the American founding papers.

Like an auto-immune disease means the immuen systemt urns against itself and the body, America suffers from auto competing syndrome, and competes with itself to political self destruction. Trump is not the casue of this, he is just the latest - but most prominent - symptom. The process itself already runs since I would say the change from Carter to Reagan at the latest.
Old 06-26-20, 06:25 AM   #4065
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Quote:
Hey, I'm not the one forcing Trump to act like an idiot; he's doing that by hisself, quite well...

Trump has insisted on making the Covid-19 situation all about himself and himself only, so its just too bad when he catces heat for the things he does and says about the pandemic; if he or his Trumpettes don't like it and want to get their Pampers in a bunch, then, tough...

When Trump get his ponderous, idiot ass out of the way of those trying to actually deal with and solve the dilemma, then those who think the matter should be handled by people who actually know about pandemics and who actually care about people's lives, then he will be given the vast amount of disinterest and ignoring he deserves...

If you think he actually deserves any sort of high praise, then you, yourself may want to start a cheerleading thread for him, if you wish; might be a lonely thread...

Trump keeps botching unnecessarily the handling of Covid-19, so expect there will be those who actually care more about the lives of US citizens and will object and speak up...

<O>
If your post is more about Trump than the virus then it belongs in the US Politics thread. Remember that.
Onkel Neal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apocalypse, china, coronavirus, covid-19, flu, masks, plague, preppers, virus, vitamine d, wuhan