SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-01-17, 05:36 AM   #1
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
If it's at a point where it's very playable in Early Access,
in that state it is in since at least 1 and a half year already. What has been added and probbaly almost finsihed, is implementation of the story mode from beginning to end. But you can as well use it as a sandbox game for constrution only, which I did in the past - and enjoyed it as well.

Yes, it is a very bright shining little jewel, imo. I liked it from first playing session on.
Old 08-01-17, 11:12 AM   #2
Skybird
Soaring

For first-time-divers:

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Subnautica_Wiki
Old 08-04-17, 12:39 PM   #3
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
in that state it is in since at least 1 and a half year already. What has been added and probbaly almost finsihed, is implementation of the story mode from beginning to end. But you can as well use it as a sandbox game for constrution only, which I did in the past - and enjoyed it as well.

Yes, it is a very bright shining little jewel, imo. I liked it from first playing session on.
Well that's good! I usually am very very wary of buying Early Access games but enough people are recommending this that I think I'll give it a try in a couple weeks when I move back to college and have blazing fast internet once again.
Old 08-04-17, 07:32 PM   #4
Skybird
Soaring

Its a long time, many years, that a computer game gave me the shivers, being played alone in the dark room.

I discovered so much new stuff and terrain the past two days. Currently using the creative mode only, which substracts survival mode (food, water, health, energy), and needs the story manually being pushed, but in survival mode, it must be quite difficult.

Not a single crash in many hours of gameplay. Already last year it was like that. No crashes.

I assume it now is only about technical optimizations. When entering another biome or another cell of the map, sometimes the games may freeze for a second. No big deal, really, it is not.

To my best knowledge, this is the only symptom you need to expect from "Early Access".

As long as you float in shallow, bright, friendly water, everything looks fine. But first time you face the abyss, will be something you remember.

I know no other submarine-based game delivering that experience of diving, and going deep, so - intense...

Nice sidenote: the devs designed it so that the player has no lethal fire weapons. Just somewhat improvised solutions from SciFi tools. May sound deterring, but is not bad.

And good use of music, sometimes for background atmosphere, sometimes for effect, a mix of Blade-Runner style and good old 80s astro synthesizer. I like the accoustic in this game.

Found a black smoker deep down below today, and a geysir/volcano outlet as well, nicely done, too, like from the movies.

Early Access can go bad, but also good. Bad example is Wreckfest (way too long, no real concept for too long time), convincing examples were Dirt 4 and Assetto Corsa. Subnautica is on track as well, just that it lasts longer already now than the 1-year period that is my criterion. In this case, the results excuse that. One must choose wisely.