SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-28-11, 02:41 AM   #1
simonf
Swabbie

Downloads: 108
Uploads: 0
Default Requesting Advice about Real Navigation with TDW's Magnum Opus & UIs.

Hi Folks,

After abandoning SH5 a few months after its initial release, I've recently re-installed it to have another shot. I'd like to compliment all of the modders who have put so much effort into turning Ubisoft's "somewhat buggy submarine game" into an awesome simulator!

I've installed the mods recommended by Sober here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...74&postcount=6

I love the idea of real navigation (apart from when I get impatient and TC too high and sail overland), however I have a few questions about how to get the most from it. I've searched the forums, read the readme files, and watched Stoian's Youtube clips, but can't find these answers.

1: When using Real Navigation, must I choose a UI that disables map contacts?

It seems that map contacts are plotted according to their absolute position, which is problem when you are plotting a solution from the sub's DR position or celestial fix. If I'm right, is there a way to get the crew to plot visual contacts relative to the current DR position?(I admit I'm lazy...)

2: Is there a way to get the navigator to fix position using landmarks when in sight of land? This should provide a much greater degree of accuracy than DR or celestial fixes. I realise that I could manually fix the position, but again, I'm lazy.

Thanks in anticipation of some good advice!

Simon
simonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 02:51 AM   #2
THE_MASK
Ace of the deep .

Downloads: 901
Uploads: 73

Did you follow the instructions
In order for real navigation to work correctly the menu.txt file will need to be copied and edited.
Step 1: disable the add-on mod NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_Real_Navigation (if it was enabled)
Step 2: copy the menu.txt file from NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_ByTheDarkWraith\data\Menu and place in NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_Real_Navigation\data\Menu
Step 3: open the NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_Real_Navigation\data\Menu\menu.tx t file with Notepad
Step 4: comment out the following lines: 820, 821, 822, 823, 824, and 2273. By commenting out I mean place a leading ; at the beginning of the line. When done the numbers listed will look like this (english version):
;820=Unknown
;821=Warship
;822=Merchant
;823=Submarine
;824=Aircraft
;2273=Your submarine
This will prevent tooltips being displayed for the items and thus giving away your position and their position. This is real navigation now.

Step 5: save the NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_Real_Navigation\data\Menu\menu.tx t file (File-->Save)
Step 6: re-enable NewUIs_TDC_x_x_x_Real_Navigation LAST in JSGME. This has to be the last mod enabled in JSGME!
Enjoy real navigation!
I use Trevallys auto scripts .
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=174400

Also
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/album.php?albumid=296

and in TDW UI mod
NewUIs_TDC_6_x_x_ByTheDarkWraith\data\Scripts\Menu \TheDarkWraithUserOptions.py
# do we go to TC1 on any messagebox text?
# change below to either True or False
TC1OnAnyMessageBoxText = True
THE_MASK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 09:20 AM   #3
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonf View Post
1: When using Real Navigation, must I choose a UI that disables map contacts?

It seems that map contacts are plotted according to their absolute position, which is problem when you are plotting a solution from the sub's DR position or celestial fix. If I'm right, is there a way to get the crew to plot visual contacts relative to the current DR position?(I admit I'm lazy...)

2: Is there a way to get the navigator to fix position using landmarks when in sight of land? This should provide a much greater degree of accuracy than DR or celestial fixes. I realise that I could manually fix the position, but again, I'm lazy.
1) yes, that's the whole premise behind real nav. You don't know where you are or others are unless you plot positions.

You should be able to use one of my add-on mods available in my add-on mods mod that will turn map contacts back on.

2) I have no way of determining when the player is close to land. The game doesn't give that ability.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-11, 11:39 PM   #4
simonf
Swabbie

Downloads: 108
Default Thanks for the advice!

Hi Sober,

Thanks for pointing out those instructions - I was combing through all the readme's etc., but I seem to have overlooked the most important bit - especially about it being the last mod in the install list!

Thanks also for publishing your recommended mod list. It made it so much easier for me to come back to the game.

TheDarkWraith, thanks for your answers, and also your awesome mods!

I'm not sure what went wrong, but in the process of trying to move the Real Navigation mod to last position, I somehow also lost the RAOBF and TDC controls. I ended up removing all mods and re-applying them. It all seems OK now. I currently have contacts showing on the map, and they appear to be in roughly the right position in relation to the DR plot of the sub's position.

I'm quite happy with that scenario, especially while I re-learn targeting procedures. I might load another TDW NewUI that disables map contacts further down the track, unless you expect the plotted contacts will cause me problems (i.e. if they are absolute rather than relative to DR position).

It's too bad you can't detect proximity to land. Did WWII subs use radio direction finders for navigation?

For reference, here's the mods I have installed in order as per JGSGME:
Magnum_Opus_0_0_1
Magnum_Opus_v0_0_1
Magnum_Opus_Patch_2
MRP 16x9 ratio
IRAI_0_0_30_ByTheDarkWraith
IRAI_0_0_30_No_hydrophone_on_surface_No_aircraft_s potting
FX_Update_0_0_16_2_ByTheDarkWraith
FX_Update_0_0_16_2_UHS_Fix
NewUIs_TDC_6_5_1_ByTheDarkWraith
NewUIs_TDC_6_5_1_alt_officer_wounded...
NewUIs_TDC_6_5_1_New_radio_messages_German...
NewUIs_TDC_6_5_1_No_Hydrophon_On_Surface... (conflicts with IRAI one)
SUB_hyd_fix_SH5
R.E.M_by_Xrundel....1.2
Trevally Automated Scripts v0.6
TheDarkWraith_DC_Water_Disturbances_v2_0_SH5
Dynamic Environment SH5-V2.1
Dynamic Environment SH5 Basemod (normal) V2.1
Krauters Automated Scripts (v5_0_0 compatible)
NewUIs_TDC_6_5_1_Real_Navigation

I totally appreciate all the work you guys put into mods, tutorials etc, and your generosity in sharing that effort with the community, but if I might offer a little suggestion from the perspective of a noob (re-)learning the ropes of applying mods etc: The mega-mod makes it deceptively easy to install many mods in one go, however it's not entirely clear that you really need to dig through the individual mod folders that make up the mega mod to read the fine print (e.g. the Real Navigation must be last). Everything seemed to be working for me after blundering through the install, it's just that I had a hunch I was missing something and went digging deeper for documentation. It would be really helpful to have a "How to install MO - read this before anything else" cheat sheet in the top level documentation folder of MO, and something similar for the NewUIs mod. Once I have a bit more confidence that I'm doing things right, I'd be happy to offer my services to help with such a document.

Thanks again!
simonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 11:17 AM   #5
Eagle1
Nub

Downloads: 6
radar DITTOS

Great job to all!
Eagle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-15, 11:22 AM   #6
gap