SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-04-13, 05:43 PM   #1
Zky
Bosun

Downloads: 209
Uploads: 0
REQ: a "get up to speed" thread. (or clean the whole forum/site)

Ok so this was born out of a post I did in another thread but I thought I would post my thoughts in a thread for it self.

Frankly the forum and the mod area is VERY messy, especially if you have not kept up lately and is trying to navigate it.

I am quite experienced with mods in general but unfortunately SH5 i becoming more and more inaccessible due to the amount of mods, tutorials, patches and so on. And of course the structure of the actual site.

I plan to make a new update of my modsoup BUT I have now spent at least 15h just downloading and trying to get my head around all mods and forum posts again. (probably spent at least 200h doing this before and that's a lot less then many others here but just thinking about doing this again gives me a headache)

I will probably need another 20h to get the game where I want
(and that is not including me training my skills so I can actually hit a fast moving merchant again...)

The Question
Is it in the works or even thought of to clean or update the site? (yes that is a massive amount of work so) If not,
Would it be possible to create a "GET UP TO SPEED" sticky thread with ONE download (megamod like the one Rongels i creating now) and not links to 150 mods, and just a few basic tutorials. Hopefully highlighted in some way so it's easier to see then it is to browse the sticky threads today.

EDIT: Maybe a sticky thread is not the right thing to do but a new subforum for new SH5 players to get up to speed is better?
(and for people like me just diving in from time to time)

(This criticism is only because of my love for the game and all the talented people making it playable, I want to make that clear )
Zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 11:30 AM   #2
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

and just how and what would YOU do to clean up the site?

remember its a giant group of individuals creating and posting all the stuff you find to be clutter so how can you get to the end product without the mess of the building process.

this is a free and open community of sharing ideas and creativity and we aren't and shouldn't ever try to pick and choose which discussions, mods, or mod ideas we decide are good or bad or not worth discussing, that's just not what we are about here.

like it or not sh5 is still an infant and hasn't even gotten out of diapers yet so things will be "cleaned up" as you put it on their own naturally as the game and the mods are refined over time.

yes its a lot more work to sort through and figure out things and read about what they do so its harder then the previous sh games required but you cant get to the end without getting through the process
Old 11-05-13, 12:52 PM   #3
Zky
Bosun

Hey there Webster, it feels like you didn't read all through my post and a lot of the things you say is not at all anything I think we should do.

As mentioned in my post it would be a massive amount of work to even try cleaning up the site so that is probably not an option. (with cleaning up i mean, migrating to a platform where you can get a more comprehensive view of the content, but that needs so much more then just a platform so im not going to try even go in to those details)

So the second thing that could be good is some sort of subforum or thread that could make SH5 more accessible for new people so they can get up to speed with the game with out smashing there head against the wall as we all done before them again and again. The reason for this is I keep seeing people posting threads where they are frustrated with the game so what ever helps them enjoying the game is good, but more threads with tutorials and such also clutters the forum and gets lost fast.
Old 11-05-13, 01:00 PM   #4
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

You could make this get up to speed thread

Start a new thread - ask the questions that you need answers too - some kind person may give up their time to answer.

Webster may even sticky it if it is a good one
Old 11-05-13, 01:14 PM   #5
Zky
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevally. View Post

You could make this get up to speed thread

Start a new thread - ask the questions that you need answers too - some kind person may give up their time to answer.

Webster may even sticky it if it is a good one
Thats all very good Trevally, and I would gladly help with any such thread but that is not really what Im asking for as I know it would get "lost" among all the other very good threads up there.

Im asking for something even more easy to see or point a lost comrade to then a sticky, more of an area dedicated to help and get new players up to speed faster with out drowning in the amount of mods and other posts.

But realistically making a thread my self would maybe be the best option, I can see that now
Old 11-05-13, 01:27 PM   #6
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zky View Post
Thats all very good Trevally, and I would gladly help with any such thread but that is not really what Im asking for as I know it would get "lost" among all the other very good threads up there.

Im asking for something even more easy to see or point a lost comrade to then a sticky, more of an area dedicated to help and get new players up to speed faster with out drowning in the amount of mods and other posts.

But realistically making a thread my self would maybe be the best option, I can see that now
What you are asking is a new forum subsection gathering all, and only, the REL threads. Isn't it?
gap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 01:45 PM   #7
Zky
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap View Post
What you are asking is a new forum subsection gathering all, and only, the REL threads. Isn't it?
Thats a great idea Gap! (maybe the "downloads" section already acts like that in some way?)

That's maybe one thing that could help and Im sure there is more things that could be done to streamline the experience for new visitors.
Old 11-05-13, 02:07 PM   #8
Mikemike47
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 1078
Uploads: 6

Quote:
T(maybe the "downloads" section already acts like that in some way?)
Yes, the download section acts that way. The download tab at the top of every forum leads you to the main subsim forum page. From there, everything is categorized.
Mikemike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 10:07 PM   #9
Webster
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
that's the whole point of my comments, to show you its up to you and him and him and that other guy to do these things.

we aren't about being big brother here or coddling things, so if a thread is very popular and it has merit, then we give it a sticky because it deserves a sticky. we don't pick and choose what to sticky and for the most part, we just let the threads usefulness and popularity decide such things. we cant have a page full of stickies so there are limits to how many we keep but we have no hesitation to sticky threads if they are usefull

I got what you were saying and hopefully you understood what I was saying to you then and now. as a community its up to all of us to do our part and if you see something needs doing then please do it and we will give you as much help as we can.

I wont promise a sticky to anyone for anything but if it deserves one i'll gladly give it one but even without a sticky a good popular thread will keep itself on the top of the forums just from the members posting in it.

Tags
browsing, get up to speed, mega mod, modpack, searching the forum