Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-12-13, 05:41 PM   #391
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Downloads: 105
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna52522 View Post
This is a movie I enjoyed...It's from 1970 so I am sure many of you have seen it.

I know I've seen it, just can't remember it right now. I'm a big Dustin Hoffman fan and don't believe there's a movie of his that I haven't seen.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
WernherVonTrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-13, 05:44 PM   #392
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Anyone?
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
Old 07-12-13, 06:29 PM   #393
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
I know I've seen it, just can't remember it right now. I'm a big Dustin Hoffman fan and don't believe there's a movie of his that I haven't seen.
I don't see how anyone could ever forget the Soda-Pop Kid. Chief Dan George. Martin Balsam as the man who keeps losing parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernherVonTrapp View Post
Anyone?
Of course. Steve McQueen was a much finer actor than a lot of folks gave him credit for.
Old 07-12-13, 07:08 PM   #394
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
I don't see how anyone could ever forget the Soda-Pop Kid. Chief Dan George. Martin Balsam as the man who keeps losing parts.

Of course. Steve McQueen was a much finer actor than a lot of folks gave him credit for.
I've been having some memory issues over the past few years. One day I can't remember something and, a few days (or weeks, months) later, it's all very clear to me. I sincerely believe I'm an early candidate for Dementia or Alzheimer's.

As far as Steve McQueen, you're absolutely right. He was a very underrated actor. I can't decide which was his finer performance, The Thomas Crown Affair, The Great Escape or The Sand Pebbles, but I suppose if I had to guess, it'd be the latter.
I actually thought he did well in The Blob.
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate
Old 07-12-13, 07:34 PM   #395
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

I was never that big a fan of The Sand Pebbles, but I admit it is a truly great movie. The Great Escape goes without saying, but I really love The Thomas Crown Affair, especially the decidedly unexpected ending. Hated the remake. I'm also a fan of The Getaway, though it has more action and less acting. I also hated that remake.

[edit] I've never seen An Enemy Of The People, and always wanted to. I've just found out that it's been available on DVD for the past four years! McQueen wanted to do Henrick Ibsen's play, and made major consessions to get it made. Then the studio decided it just wasn't "McQueen", and shelved it. One of the Amazon reviewers says he saw it at a special screening in the late '70s, and it recieved a standing ovation!
http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-People-S...+of+the+people
Old 07-12-13, 07:46 PM   #396
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quote:
The Great Escape goes without saying
I want to see that one really bad. It's been on TV but I've missed it when it's on.

I am going to watch Stalag 17 either tonight or tomorrow though...
Old 07-12-13, 07:49 PM   #397
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red October1984 View Post
I want to see that one really bad. It's been on TV but I've missed it when it's on.
One of the all-time best. McQueen's role is just one of many very good ones. Of course the famous motorcycle jump gets all the credit. Too many fine parts to list.

Quote:
Great movie of a great play. Just don't expect Hogan's Heroes.
Old 07-12-13, 08:09 PM   #398
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
One of the all-time best. McQueen's role is just one of many very good ones. Of course the famous motorcycle jump gets all the credit. Too many fine parts to list.
I'll get to see it....EVENTUALLY!!!!

I'll check Hastings on Monday

Quote:
Great movie of a great play. Just don't expect Hogan's Heroes.
Hogan's Heroes is the best war comedy series IMHO. However, I haven't seen a lot of other ones. I hear M*A*S*H and McHale's Navy are good. My friend has like the first 3 seasons of M*A*S*H on DVD...I'll borrow them sometime.

Stalag 17 is supposed to be a serious movie isn't it though?
Old 07-12-13, 09:49 PM   #399
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Hogan's Heroes is the best war comedy series IMHO.
I've seen them all, and while I like it I didn't like it all that much.

Quote:
M*A*S*H
Probably the best series that I didn't like. My problem was that I read the book, then saw the movie in the theater, and the series, as fine as it was, just wasn't the movie. The movie has a clear story line from start to finish, and I felt that while the series did a good job, Donald Sutherland was Hawkeye pierce, and of course Sally Kellerman was Margaret O'Houlihan. Robert Duvall as Frank Burns was sinister and creepy, whereas Larry Linville was just silly. You should see the series. It is wonderful. It just always struck me as too lightweight.

Quote:
McHale's Navy are good.
Ernest Borgnine turning from tough guy "heavy" to fairly light comedy without missing a beat. Tim Conway's big start, and he's brilliant. A very good supporting cast, but still just another sitcom. The best part is the Vosper PT boat. I could watch the whole series again just for that.

Quote:
Stalag 17 is supposed to be a serious movie isn't it though?
Very much so. That's why I said don't expect a situation comedy.
Old 07-12-13, 11:35 PM   #400
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Quote:
I've seen them all, and while I like it I didn't like it all that much.
Fair enough. I'm a proud owner of all 6 seasons plus a bunch of special features in the Hogan's Heroes: Kommandant's Kollection. It even comes with a German episode that's been changed for German TV and stuff. Really cool.

Quote:
Probably the best series that I didn't like. My problem was that I read the book, then saw the movie in the theater, and the series, as fine as it was, just wasn't the movie. The movie has a clear story line from start to finish, and I felt that while the series did a good job, Donald Sutherland was Hawkeye pierce, and of course Sally Kellerman was Margaret O'Houlihan. Robert Duvall as Frank Burns was sinister and creepy, whereas Larry Linville was just silly. You should see the series. It is wonderful. It just always struck me as too lightweight.
When my friend gets back from Florida, I'll borrow the first 3 seasons and watch it. I'll have my own opinion on it soon enough.

Quote:
Ernest Borgnine turning from tough guy "heavy" to fairly light comedy without missing a beat. Tim Conway's big start, and he's brilliant. A very good supporting cast, but still just another sitcom. The best part is the Vosper PT boat. I could watch the whole series again just for that.
I've never seen any of it but it sounded kinda interesting. I might watch a little if there's any on Youtube. I don't want to go ordering a whole season of something I won't like.

Quote:
Very much so. That's why I said don't expect a situation comedy.
I knew that going in. I'm getting ready to watch it now actually. I'll report back when it's over.

EDIT: I'm not even 20 minutes into this movie and I can already see how Hogan's Heroes took some things from this movie.

EDIT2: This is a great movie. I love this.

Last edited by Red October1984; 07-13-13 at 01:01 AM.
Red October1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 02:47 AM   #401
Cybermat47
Willing Webfooted Beast

Downloads: 293
Uploads: 22

I just saw Man of Steel.

Jor-El was pretty badass
Old 07-13-13, 05:18 AM   #402
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109

Going back to Stevie, and The Cincinnati Kid? I liked the remake of the Thomas Crown because when I saw it I did not had seen the original, after a few time the movie was broadcast on tv and I saw it, as the others of Steve McQueen, part of a film cycle!

Cybermat, yes and the movie is great!
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 12:43 PM   #403
Platapus
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 63

Quote:

When you are done watching both the Great Escape and Stalag 17, watch Chicken Run and you will understand the jokes much better.
Old 07-13-13, 01:34 PM   #404
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
When you are done watching both the Great Escape and Stalag 17, watch Chicken Run and you will understand the jokes much better.
BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE A PIE!!!

Which, as far as I remember, has nothing to do with either of the other movies, but it's the one line I always remember from Chicken Run. Granted it's a lot funnier if you can actually hear it in the chicken's voice.

Granted it's probably not all *that* funny even then, unless you're me, in which case it cracks you up every time. But I also crack up remembering the line "Art Deco. Very nice." from Ghostbusters, so make of that what you will.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-13, 04:26 PM   #405
WernherVonTrapp
Admiral

Quote:
I was never that big a fan of The Sand Pebbles, but I admit it is a truly great movie. The Great Escape goes without saying, but I really love The Thomas Crown Affair, especially the decidedly unexpected ending. Hated the remake. I'm also a fan of The Getaway, though it has more action and less acting. I also hated that remake.

[edit] I've never seen An Enemy Of The People, and always wanted to. I've just found out that it's been available on DVD for the past four years! McQueen wanted to do Henrick Ibsen's play, and made major consessions to get it made. Then the studio decided it just wasn't "McQueen", and shelved it. One of the Amazon reviewers says he saw it at a special screening in the late '70s, and it recieved a standing ovation!
http://www.amazon.com/Enemy-People-S...+of+the+people
I stopped watching remakes quite some time ago. I became very disappointed with them after seeing a few. I haven't seen "An Enemy Of The People" either (at least, I don't recall seeing it). Maybe I'll see if I can stream it on Netflix. Haven't seen the remake of "Mr. Roberts" (though I like Kevin Bacon as an actor) or the remake of "South Pacific".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapus View Post
Chicken Run is a great movie! Watched it with my girls. Kind of reminds me of, "Escape From NJ".
"What is truth?"
-Pontius Pilate

Tags
films, movie, movies