SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-29-11, 08:55 AM   #166
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

Yes, see the pic posted before redoing the texture. Its the same now. I still have some little issues with the texture transparency on the hull, hope that TDW can help with those. But overall is done and is looking great.

Next, I try to reskin the SH3 ship done by Iambecomelife. That one will be a very hard task as everything in that model is very old. It will be a real challenge. Until then hope that Rongel will sort out his ship, so I can retexture his one too. A lot of work... a lot.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-11, 12:26 AM   #167
uekel
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 258

.... I´m pleasured that my mod to use is for something ....
uekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 01:44 AM   #168
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

I've got a foggy clue as to why the ship's texture goes bonkers when the ship takes damage. I don't yet fully understand the why part but I have at least narrowed it down some
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 01:52 AM   #169
Zedi
Sea Lord

What is strange is that Uekel ships show the right damage texture, but others reported thet they are unable to even sink the ship. Anyway, Rongel said that he found the source of the problem with the wrong damage texture, something about embed ships targa image to dat-file... I better let him clear this up.
Old 05-01-11, 03:55 AM   #170
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 174
Uploads: 0

Yes, it seems that I managed to get rid of the damaged texture problem! The ship takes damage from deck gun and torpedoes and I've even seen deck gun make small holes to hull below water.

Okay, let's see if I can explain this, i'm a bit hangoverish... There was a two or three materials (type 2/0)set in S3d but they seemed to be empty. I followed what iambecomelife did with Salland-ship (thanks!) and gave the textures a name and then embedded a targa image below that. And it did the trick!

So the ship needs still following things: crew, Sh5 wakes, water reflections, maybe the normal map thingies. And I'm not sure if it's working properly, at this point it looks good though. Phew!
Rongel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 04:32 AM   #171
Zedi
Sea Lord

lol.. great work Rongel and I love the drawing, damn funny.
You guys should personalize these merchants by giving them a name.
Old 05-01-11, 04:38 AM   #172
Trevally.
Navy Seal

Downloads: 166
Uploads: 28

@Rongel, Zedi, Uekel and anyone else working on this.

Well done - looks fantastic

Old 05-01-11, 05:55 AM   #173
Rongel
Grey Wolf

I think I should give my ship to TDW if he has the time to look it over. He can spot if there is something wrong or stupid in the dat-file. One weird thing that I spotted is that the "damage holes" in the structure are only visible underwater... I managed to add crew to the ship too, following Sallands good example.

I would really like if we could make a tutorial how to import ships from SH 4 that shows every aspect of the process. There are many more ships available and it's pretty easy to get them to Sh 5 if you have instructions, but it needs more people. Did you Zedi manage to put the SH 5 wakes to the boats? And what about the dark/bright side textures? I have added normal map to the boat but I think it's not working right.
Old 05-01-11, 06:47 AM   #174
Zedi
Sea Lord

Uekel managed to bring in a dozens of ships already, but there is also need to work out various issues with the damage, wake &stuff. With his permission we try to fix them and include the ships into the campaign, I already asked TDW to help.

Regarding the new ships, I can help only with the textures and then include the new ships in the upcoming campaign mod generic traffic along with the mines and stuff. So, ask TDW to help you out.. he is very busy these days, but he is the master in importing ships.
Old 05-01-11, 06:54 AM   #175
pascal4541
Officer

Downloads: 434

a very pretty picture Rongel...
nice work guys

Rampage Formula X48+E8600@4600Mhz H24+Corsair H50+4X2Go GSkill Trident PC9600+Sapphire HD6870@ 960/4600Mhz+WD Raptor 74Go+WD CaviarBlack 500Gox2+Samsung F1 500Go+CoolerMaster M850W+7-64Bits
pascal4541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 11:44 AM   #176
Budds
Bosun

Downloads: 236

Wow....

Now I really feel Thick !!!!
I have been trying to get a simple boat from Sh4 into Sh5, and have had limited success.
But the washed out texture thing, and the crazy damage texture thing still haunt me !

While I tried Rongel's procedure, I must be missing something simple as I still have issues.

Anywyas.....
Glad to see you others making progress on this issue..... GREAT STUFF Gents !

Budds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 01:48 PM   #177
Rongel
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Wow....

Now I really feel Thick !!!!
I have been trying to get a simple boat from Sh4 into Sh5, and have had limited success.
But the washed out texture thing, and the crazy damage texture thing still haunt me !

While I tried Rongel's procedure, I must be missing something simple as I still have issues.

Anywyas.....
Glad to see you others making progress on this issue..... GREAT STUFF Gents !
Hi! The reason you have issues is probably because it seems i was wrong.... I'm a novice what comes to modding, and don't know what I'm doing most of the time . The embedded targa pictures won't fix the texture bug. I give you example of my ship so I hope you can follow it:

There is a 4/100 node called NMFMSSS that is my ship. Now it's divided to two parts, bow and stern and they intersect in the middle. They are 4/100 nodes too and are named NMFMSSS_B and NMFMSSS_F. At first I put the DMG_col-node to these parts: DMG_col_ NMFMSSS_B and DMG_col_NMFMSSS_F. But this caused the damaged texture bug. What I did was to erase them both and just put DMG_col_NMFMSSS which represents the whole ship. And now it works! The bad thing is that now the damage modelling isn't detailed, the ship only has one part that can be damaged basically. It seems that the ship will sink really peacefully, because the flooding is levelled. I'm quite sure we can somehow fix this, but now it's the only way that I know to get the textures working. So basically my ship has limited damage modelling, but it's working otherwise fine.

If TDW comes around here, I hope you can give me some pointers how to add SH 5 contollers to my ship. It would be nice to have more detailed wake and other effects.
Old 05-01-11, 02:17 PM   #178
Budds
Bosun

Hey Bro......

You got it working better than me, so !
I am new to this as well....
But figured if I could at least help, maybe we get the Fleet Larger Faster.

This is what I want mine to look like :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=159

This is what I get :
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...&postcount=153

I guess the first couple tries ALWAYS makes my head hurt...Lol.
Hoping to get it sorted, and possibly help others intrested in this project build an "Expansion Fleet".

No Japan ?
Might be helpful to Open horizons if it could be added ?
Just thinking out loud......

Thanks for any advice............
Old 05-01-11, 02:18 PM   #179
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

I have another way to fix the damage texture problem. It works and will show holes under the water from damage. Right now I'm playing with shaders trying to get the holes visible above water also.
I didn't have to imbed any images in the .dat file. The dat file can use cfg#TXR_ nodes to define the textures.
Here's the problem with the DMG_col_ nodes: the 3D model specified can ONLY have one map (NO multiple maps). So what I did was extract the 3D model of the _B or _F node I was wanting, opened it up in Wings3D, re-uv mapped it to use one texture, exported it to .obj file, re-imported back into DMG_col_ node. Now the map specified for the 3D model of this DMG_col_ node has to be a 'blank' 2/0 node with opacity set to 0x00 (you can use the DMG_ node's map and set it's opacity to 0x00). Works perfectly!

@Budds: I'm working on the same ship you are. Damage texture problem is fixed with the above.

EDIT:

some FYI: the texture being displayed for the damage bug is data\Misc\dmg_new01.dds
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-11, 02:31 PM   #180
Budds
Bosun

Nice TDW !

While I wish I "REALLY" understood your fix.... I only slightly grasp it.
Did I mention I'm new to this...hehe....

I'm still trying to get firm handle on the rough Import !
I guess the straight import, without edit of textures, will leave the undamaged skin washed out looking ?

Thanks for your efforts.........